Proposal: Seth Jones?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I think I like Jones more than most people. I think he's awesome. If he played for a Canadian team we'd never hear the end of how great he is.

But he makes no sense for L.A. Part of the reason (if not the main reason) he wants to test FA is because Columbus isn't a contender. He's not going to sign with L.A. long term.

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
If Jones leaves the Blue Jackets it will be for a team that give him the best chance to win the Cup. He is at the point in his career that he must think about that. The Kings are not close at winning a Cup bu how they played this past season.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Domi out 6 months for Jackets, they need a center bad.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Just an idea...we have the cap currently and Seth Jones will potentially be a UFA in the near future. He has one more full year. Assuming he would waive/allow himself to be dealt to LA...

We could deal a package based around our 1st rounder this year and maybe one of our non-Doughty RHDs to Columbus for his final year and work on a deal to re-sign him longterm.

Now I know the position we're looking for is a dynamic LHD and Jones is a dynamic RHD. But, here are the reasons:

1) Between Roy and Walker, both are decent, neither is special. Roy is not really dynamic. Signing Jones and maybe dealing Walker would give us another pairing with a dynamic defenseman to anchor it and having either Walker or Roy be the third pair guy, which would be solid slotting.

2) I know the position we "need" is a dynamic LHD. We have a couple that maybe could develop if given the opportunity. But if we have both Doughty and Jones as their partners, maybe instead of trying to draft a non-elite LHD with our 8th pick, we instead develop them like we did with Muzzin and Martinez. Having these top NHL RHD partners would go a long way to train our current LHD prospects and shelter them. Maybe a Bjornfot, Clague or the other upcoming guys really could use a Jones, taking huge pressure off Doughty.

3) Jones is already an A in Columbus. But he's only 26. As our vet guys like Carter (already dealt), Quick, Brown, Kopitar start to retire or be too old for leading roles, Jones can easily be a good leader. Based on Lombardi's past team-building principles, having a lot of leaders on the team is a very good thing. He probably has at least 6 to 8 good years left.

4) It's Lumbus...good things happen when we raid...err, when we acquire their players.

What do you guys think? I think we have the juice to acquire and re-sign him, and maybe not have to deal our top center or wing prospects to do it.
If the Blue Jackets(what a cool nickname)deal Seth Jones to LA they will ask for Matt Roy in return amongst others and that depends on if the Kings can get him under contract for 4-5 years many longer

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
If Jones leaves the Blue Jackets it will be for a team that give him the best chance to win the Cup. He is at the point in his career that he must think about that. The Kings are not close at winning a Cup bu how they played this past season.

I'm not disagreeing with the premise that he may want to go to a winner, but what contender can afford him in a flat cap world? Unless someone is willing to roll the dice knowing they will lose him next summer.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Trade for him nope. If he would come here as a UFA, sure but high profile UFAs don't come here. Ever.
At the time Ilya Kovaltchuk was high profile and maybe the last piece to the "Puzzle"...Seth Jones to LA would be awesome! And why wait until he gets to UFA...trade for him now! Neither Roy or Walker are top 4 caliber D-men on a Stanley Cup contender or Winner

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I'm not disagreeing with the premise that he may want to go to a winner, but what contender can afford him in a flat cap world? Unless someone is willing to roll the dice knowing they will lose him next summer.

I think he does want to go to a team that is a contender or on the way to that path. And the Jackets will field offers, if one is agreeable, the will probably talk to his agent and do a sign and trade.
And I think he'd be a good fit on the Kings. They have some very talented young players on the way up and enough assests to move some out to get him.

He's a top defenseman and leader. He’s got size, a great wing span , strong skater with a powerful shot. He plays in all situations and logs major minutes. This year, I think for him, was a down year for a lot of reasons. That team over the last couple years had had a revolving door of offense leaving. That puts a lot of pressure on him, and I think the issues with Torts and the front office didn't help. You think he likes seeing so many talanted players leave? That does not bode well in the locker room. And that a stablility issue, and not having consistant center strength didn't help.

Despite that, he was outstanding last year inthe playoffs. You put a better team around him and you'll see what a differene maker he is. Any team will be lucky to get him.

I wish the Flyers would trade for him, but they have CAP issues and the 8M or so he'd want , isn't there. Nobody is taking Voracek's albatross of a contract, JVR they have been trying to move for over a year. Hayes has too many years left at 7.2 for a mediocre mid line center. And Couturier is going int othe last year of his deal (as ar Sanheim, Hart and Giroux , who hopefully will go to Ottawa where he's from). CAP isn't going up for seeral years.

Last edited:
Reactions: lumbergh

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Don’t want Jones but I will take his partner Werenski in a heartbeat.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I think he does want to go to a team that is a contender or on the way to that path. And the Jackets will field offers, if one is agreeable, the will probably talk to his agent and do a sign and trade.
And I think he'd be a good fit on the Kings. They have some very talented young players on the way up and enough assests to move some out to get him.

He's a top defenseman and leader. He’s got size, a great wing span , strong skater with a powerful shot. He plays in all situations and logs major minutes. This year, I think for him, was a down year for a lot of reasons. That team over the last couple years had had a revolving door of offense leaving. That puts a lot of pressure on him, and I think the issues with Torts and the front office didn't help. You think he likes seeing so many talanted players leave? That does not bode well in the locker room. And that a stablility issue, and not having consistant center strength didn't help.

Despite that, he was outstanding last year inthe playoffs. You put a better team around him and you'll see what a differene maker he is. Any team will be lucky to get him.

I wish the Flyers would trade for him, but they have CAP issues and the 8M or so he'd want , isn't there. Nobody is taking Voracek's albatross of a contract, JVR they have been trying to move for over a year. Hayes has too many years left at 7.2 for a mediocre mid line center. And Couturier is going int othe last year of his deal (as ar Sanheim, Hart and Giroux , who hopefully will go to Ottawa where he's from). CAP isn't going up for seeral years.

A while back I proposed a package around Konecny and Gostisbehere to the Kings. I love Konecny's game and Gostisbehere could be a solid RECLAMATION PROJECT to play with Doughty.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 7.04.14 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 7.04.37 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 7.05.00 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 7.05.18 AM.png

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
A while back I proposed a package around Konecny and Gostisbehere to the Kings. I love Konecny's game and Gostisbehere could be a solid RECLAMATION PROJECT to play with Doughty.
Philly has a bunch of RP's! Nolan Patrick, Carter Heart, maybe even Sanheim! Do they dump Giroux for the cash to go after Hamilton? NMC makes it tricky. Couturier? He's due a big contract. Does Fletcher want to lock Couturier up long term on a large contract? Do they go after Eichel & move Couturier to help pay for him!

AV at odds with some of the players, Fletcher has his work cut out for him.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

I think that would be a good move. I love GHost and when Haks arrived in Ghost's sophomore season, he did a lot of damage. And since, there has been constant comments media, etc. on that rookie season and failed expectations. AV does not like him and doesn't hide that. Ghost will be fine on a new team. He's a pretty good PP QB. Konecky , I think, they will lose in a trade for a top D, with Farabee 's status rising.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Philly has a bunch of RP's! Nolan Patrick, Carter Heart, maybe even Sanheim! Do they dump Giroux for the cash to go after Hamilton? NMC makes it tricky. Couturier? He's due a big contract. Does Fletcher want to lock Couturier up long term on a large contract? Do they go after Eichel & move Couturier to help pay for him!

AV at odds with some of the players, Fletcher has his work cut out for him.

Nolan Patrick want's a trade, and switched agents as a part of that. Has not worked here for alot of reasons and he needs a new zip code. Hart given his off year, should get a bridge deal, which will save a few bucks. Sanheim? I like his game but with Myers, Provy and the top D they want, he might be moved. They are high on Cam York, who I expect to be on the phantoms at least part of next year. Giroux, not a fan, hope they send him home to Ottawa. Has done ZERO for 10 years in the playoffs, solidly placed on a milk carton from April on. Not giving him a new deal at 35. Couturier they need, best player and heart and soul of the team. But I 'd offer a 5 year deal, rather than 7.

Eichel doesn't replace Couturier, he doesn't have the vision, IQ or defensive presence. And that neck procedure is a queston mark. Hayes (wss totally againt that awful contract) was supposed to be a place holder for 2 to 3 yrs until MOrgan Frost was ready. I like Frost, and would love to see him as a good 2C behind Couturier.

I think the Flyers are good at center but from rumors, looking for a top 6 winger.
Stil lhearing they like Johnny Hockey.
But until the move out JVR, GHost, Voracek (please God) and get some CAP room, won't be easy.

Last edited:

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I think that would be a good move. I love GHost and when Haks arrived in Ghost's sophomore season, he did a lot of damage. And since, there has been constant comments media, etc. on that rookie season and failed expectations. AV does not like him and doesn't hide that. Ghost will be fine on a new team. He's a pretty good PP QB. Konecky , I think, they will lose in a trade for a top D, with Farabee 's status rising.

Not sure why Blake didn't pick up Gotisbehere when he was on waivers. Certainly had the cap room to do so. He played much better after clearing waivers and has elevated his value quite a bit. Opportunities lost...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad