Rumor: Seth Jones

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I think werenski would be more likely as if true, his motivation to play home in Michigan should and will reduce the asking price to minimal.

Seth Jones will end up in LA or somehow SJ

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Inb4 we snag both Jones and werenski in free agency
It would be a gigantic kick in the pants for the rebuild just to get ONE of them, let alone both. Although it's difficult to imagine the assets going the other way that Columbus would accept.

And yet it would be somewhat poetic for Yzerman to go get the defenseman he "missed" drafting in Tampa.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
Would love to have this guy. Great character guy, stud on offense and defense, skates like the wind, high hockey IQ, only 26 years old.

But: His contract lasts only one more year, I believe. Right now he's making only $5.4 million (only a little more than Dekeyser, incredibly enough), but his next contract's going to be much higher. And he's a righty -- I was told by many on this board that Jamie Drysdale was useless to us because he shoots right-handed.

I'm not sure how many assets we should be willing to part with for just one year of a legit #1 defenseman.

Maybe if the Beejers could renegotiate his contract first, and sign him to a team-friendly 4 year contract, then I'd give them something for him. Maybe one of our many great right-handed d-men, with which our franchise is teaming, and some draft picks. (Yes I'm still sour about last year's draft.) Then we could sign Tortorella as our new assistant coach, and let him get to know everyone's names before taking over as head coach when we're ready to start winning games in earnest.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
Not to belabor the point but:

Oh, my ears and whiskers, Teh Fancy Stats tell us that Seth Jones is a shit hockey player.

I wonder if there's some hockey genius online using Teh Fancy Stats to demonstrate, nay mathematically prove, that this Gretsky fellow wasn't much better than Abdelkader.

I think I'll trust my own lying eyes. Jones might have had a bad year, on a bad team that was cratering around him. He's one of the top 15 d-men in the league, a legitimate #1 defenseman.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
So Niklas Kronwall was a #1 d-man but Seth Jones is not? Got it. For the record, if there is legit belief that Werenski wants to play for Detroit he would be my #1 target.

ya I like werenski more than Jones, + our need is more on the left side

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Jeez. Jones' "fancy stats" are underwhelming.
His production is merely OK for a guy of his minutes. Low, perhaps, due to Torts' style?
But he's considerably behind Werenski. He's behind Del Zotto. Barely ahead of Gavrikov (who played a more Dzone role). He had three straight years at or above 1 point/60 at 5 on 5
seth jones.jpg

His "possession numbers" aren't impressive.
I'd look hard before spending big assets to get him, considering what his next contract could cost.
This guy played 20 minutes a night at 5 on 5. Wow.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Wants out. Could Yzerman possibly finesse this too? I'm curious what the price would be? As long as we keep Raymond, and Seider I would be willing to try.
According to Friedman, Jones plans on testing free agency next summer. So he's just a pure rental. But it would be sweet if both Jones and Werenski decided to sign with Detroit as free agents. We can definitely afford to give both of them what they want.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
According to Friedman, Jones plans on testing free agency next summer. So he's just a pure rental. But it would be sweet if both Jones and Werenski decided to sign with Detroit as free agents. We can definitely afford to give both of them what they want.

And that's after we draft shane wright 1st OA a few nights earlier

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Oh, my ears and whiskers, Teh Fancy Stats tell us that Seth Jones is a shit hockey player.

I wonder if there's some hockey genius online using Teh Fancy Stats to demonstrate, nay mathematically prove, that this Gretsky fellow wasn't much better than Abdelkader.

I think I'll trust my own lying eyes. Jones might have had a bad year, on a bad team that was cratering around him. He's one of the top 15 d-men in the league, a legitimate #1 defenseman.

It's not just 1 bad year, he hasn't played at a #1 level for 3 seasons now. As well, it isn't 1 model that doesn't rate him as high as the general consensus it's numerous models that do so. This is another Trouba situation where a RHD is overhyped and then signs an expensive long term deal. The team that signs Jones to a 7 year 9M+ AAV will regret it from the moment it is signed. Jones is the equivalent to an RA Dickey pticher. He's someone that can play a ton and give you meh results, but at least they're kind of keeping you in the game.

If Jones is a #1 defenceamn and a top 15 one at that he should be able to drive results at ES, PP, and the PK. His fancy stats show that he does none of those things and his traditional counting stats show us a player in decline.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Not to belabor the point but:

It’s strange how these charts always look bad for players on bad teams and always great for players on good teams.

I don’t think we are anywhere near a model that can accurately account for team situation.

That said, Jones isn’t a great fit for us in a trade. In FA, we should definitely be looking at him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad