Seth Jones or 2014 1st round pick

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Blows my mind when people think this is some sort of advantage. I strongly doubt being 10 months older(or whatever) is that significant. If we're talking several years, yes. Months? absolutely not.

Nobody is going to say that the age difference matters if the two compared players are born in, say, February and August. In that case you're right, there's basically no difference.

But if one player is born a couple months later and his birthday falls after the September 15th draft cutoff, then that means he's had an extra year of development before he's drafted.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Nobody is going to say that the age difference matters if the two compared players are born in, say, February and August. In that case you're right, there's basically no difference.

But if one player is born a couple months later and his birthday falls after the September 15th draft cutoff, then that means he's had an extra year of development before he's drafted.

Well this doesn't remotely apply to Ekblad who skipped a year to the OHL so that he'll have three seasons of junior before his draft and is very physically mature for his age. If you think the extra four months between Jones and Ekblad in terms of age difference is all that relevant then that's fine but I'll go out on a hunch and say it isn't.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
We always talk about how weak the 2014 draft is, but there are some really good prospects in this draft too. Hard to say who's better: Jones or Ekblad, Jones have already showed a lot of talent, but Ekblad was the first defenseman to grant exceptional status. And then you got Reinhart, whos the player coaches loves and you always want on the ice, and his off to a great start.

At this point for me its 50-50, but I'm gonna go with Reinhart for now.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Jones at this point. The thing what i like about the 2014 draft is that there is so many prospects who can suprise. Alot of black horses at the draft.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Blows my mind when people think this is some sort of advantage. I strongly doubt being 10 months older(or whatever) is that significant. If we're talking several years, yes. Months? absolutely not.

Jones is almost two years older then Ekblad. Ekblad already looks great and even now I'd prefer him to Jones.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Jones is much better than Ekblad IMO.

Not close IMO.

Puck skills, skating, vision, anticipation, shot all favour Jones.

Only thing favoring Ekblad for me is his physical play.

But I'm also on record and stand by Jones being the best player in the 2013 draft.

pretty much this, although Jones and Nathan were probably 1a and 1b in the 13 draft.

Ace88*

What's the reasoning for anyone saying Ekblad over Jones? They're both around the same size, Ekblad is more physical and slightly better defensively but Jones simply blows him away in every other facet of the game.

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013
Jones for me.

What's the reasoning for anyone saying Ekblad over Jones? They're both around the same size, Ekblad is more physical and slightly better defensively but Jones simply blows him away in every other facet of the game.

Ekblad is younger, would be my guess.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011

Seth Jones born October 3rd, 1994. Aaron Ekblad, born February 7th, 1996, age differnece 15 months

Seth Jones draft year: 14 goals, 42 assists for 56 points in 61 one games, on a team that scored 333 goals. In the playoffs he had 15 points in 21 playoff games.

Ekblad pre-draft year: 34 points in 54 on a team that scored 239 goals. In the playoffs he had 17 points in 22 playoff games.

How exactly does Jones blow him away?

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
I'm very high on Jones, I would have taken him first overall last year and would take him first overall in the next draft. Guy's a stud!

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
Seth Jones born October 3rd, 1994. Aaron Ekblad, born February 7th, 1996, age differnece 15 months

Seth Jones draft year: 14 goals, 42 assists for 56 points in 61 one games, on a team that scored 333 goals. In the playoffs he had 15 points in 21 playoff games.

Ekblad pre-draft year: 34 points in 54 on a team that scored 239 goals. In the playoffs he had 17 points in 22 playoff games.

Oh I don't know, maybe on the ice when you watch then play?

I would take Mack, Drouin, Barkov, Jones, Lindholm, Monohan, and Nichushkin over everyone in the 2014 draft. Ristolainen is much more comparable to Ekblad IMO.

end2endrush

Sep 6, 2012

I would take Mack, Drouin, Barkov, Jones, Lindholm, Monohan, and Nichushkin over everyone in the 2014 draft. Ristolainen is much more comparable to Ekblad IMO.

this. right on. the highest praise you could give ekblad would be a ryan murray

Bourdon101

Jul 21, 2012
I think Jones is more valuable. IMO he's the best defensemen I have seen drafted since 2011, and was my first pick in 2013. Nothing is proven but as it is, his talent is more impessive.

Ace88*

When you use your eyeballs, you see things.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011

Yeah, I have watched them both play, quite a bit actually. Though I'll admit most of my Ekblad viewings came during the playoffs when he was playing fairly dominant hockey. He seems to have carried over his play from the playoffs, with a pretty dominant opening to the season.

When I see Ekblad vs Jones I like Ekblad a bit more, because of his physicality and defensive zone play. He's a far more physical player than Jones, and I feel they could have similar offensive potential. I like Ekblad's breakout passes about equal to Jones, and would say he probably has the better shot. Jones is a far better skater, with some nifty puck skills in the offensive zone. I'd take Ekblad because I think he's closer to Jones offensively than Jones is to him defensively/physically.

When I see Ekblad, I see a Weber/Blake type, but with Jones I see more of a Niedermayer type. I think both are going to excellent players, but Ekblad will be better. He's a better player now than Jones was at the same age, imo. Whether that trend holds is pretty up in the air.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

i couldn't tell you the answer until closer to the draft. players develop a lot in their 17 year old year/draft year. look at a player like drouin. i think it is too early to weigh any of the players this year against jones.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Are you kidding? Have you seen the kind of improvement some of these kids show year to year? How could you not view having almost an entire extra year of development as an advantage?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad