Seth Jones or 2014 1st round pick

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

so theres people basically8 say8ing

thirty 2014 prospects in the first round> seth jones

WTF???

hahahaha you're right, i didn't read the thread properly. i thought he just meant whether jones was better or the player going 1st this year.

Gabranth

#19 #88
Apr 2, 2009
Finland
hahahaha you're right, i didn't read the thread properly. i thought he just meant whether jones was better or the player going 1st this year.

Do you guys think Seth Jones is better than anyone in the 2014 draft? I like hearing about prospects, but the only ones I know alot about are the ones that play in the NCAA since I'm in New England.

I just noticed that too, hahaha.

ed bruin

Feb 14, 2010
Newton
Blows my mind when people think this is some sort of advantage. I strongly doubt being 10 months older(or whatever) is that significant. If we're talking several years, yes. Months? absolutely not.

I remember reading a book for psych or sociology in school and it was called Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell (great read) and he has a part where he talks about older/late births in Canadian hockey and how they have an advantage. You should really read it great book in general.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I remember reading a book for psych or sociology in school and it was called Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell (great read) and he has a part where he talks about older/late births in Canadian hockey and how they have an advantage. You should really read it great book in general.
Jones isn't Canadian.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Aaron Ekblad and company are high high end prospects who project to be big time players but they don't project to be as good of prospects as Seth Jones. I would much prefer Seth than any 2014 prospect based on pure value.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Blows my mind when people think this is some sort of advantage. I strongly doubt being 10 months older(or whatever) is that significant. If we're talking several years, yes. Months? absolutely not.

Not true. Between two NHL draft eligible players, the player who was born 10 months earlier would have an entire more year of major junior hockey.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Not true. Between two NHL draft eligible players, the player who was born 10 months earlier would have an entire more year of major junior hockey.

Right, which is the only real advantage. So if a player doesn't go the Major Junior route at 16 it's irrelevant.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
What's the reasoning for anyone saying Ekblad over Jones? They're both around the same size, Ekblad is more physical and slightly better defensively but Jones simply blows him away in every other facet of the game.

Defense can always be taught while skill and pure hockey iq...not even close. In that aspect Jones is just miles ahead of Ekblad, and I really like the manchild that Ekblad is.

I meant the 1st overall pick in this year's draft.

I think everyone thought this :laugh:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If anyone from the 2014 draft is as good as Jones is, then the team that drafts him will have one heckuva player.

BudMovin*

Jones has a higher ceiling than Ekblad. Ekblad was one of those rare kids who had the frame of a 24 year old when he was 14. Yeah, he is still amazingly gifted and will be a top 3 pick this year, but I think he got the exceptional status rule more due to his physical ability being way ahead of his peers.

Jones skates like J-Bo and has a rapidly developing physical game. I think he will challenge Weber for the top spot on that D core in a few years.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
What kind of question is that, of course he is better than anyone in the 14' draft.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Are you kidding? Have you seen the kind of improvement some of these kids show year to year? How could you not view having almost an entire extra year of development as an advantage?

What's the difference between a guy being drafted, as the youngest in his age group vs a guy a little bit older? some of you guys put way too much stock into 16/17 year old kids. These guys don't develop at that age, they develop several years later. Scouting is about projection, not "what have you done for me lately". I remember the Leafs drafted the youngest player in the draft recently and that was seen as some sort of advantage. Okay? So you're telling me a kid who's 17 and 3/4 has a huge advantage vs a kid who just turned 17(or whatever)? So no, one year extra does not make a huge difference. Hell, I could argue the opposite in fact. Angelo Esposito. Had he been drafted a year earlier would have easily been a top 5 pick. Instead, falls flat on his face. One year in junior does not make or break a prospect. Players are drafted based on projection in their 20's, not how good they'll be at 19.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Seth Jones born October 3rd, 1994. Aaron Ekblad, born February 7th, 1996, age differnece 15 months

Seth Jones draft year: 14 goals, 42 assists for 56 points in 61 one games, on a team that scored 333 goals. In the playoffs he had 15 points in 21 playoff games.

Ekblad pre-draft year: 34 points in 54 on a team that scored 239 goals. In the playoffs he had 17 points in 22 playoff games.

How exactly does Jones blow him away?

stats like you posted above don't mean anything and there is a 1 year difference in draft years, the 15 month thing is just noise.

Seth had several older Dmen who got heavy PP minutes in Portland and they also have high pedigrees it wasn't like they got PP time because Seth was bad in that department or anything.

Ekbald had exactly how many older top NHL pick Dmen to compete for on his team exactly?

Ekblad is going to be a very good player but he projects more as a Darnell Nurse type of guy IMO than a Weber guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->