Seth Jones' Future Part II: Jonesing for a trade? (Sportsnet reports he wants to test free agency)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
If Philly is moving both Patrick, and Frost we would have to be sending a center back.. as Patrick is their #3 center, and Frost would probably be next in line for that spot if Patrick was moved.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I could live with all of those guys from the Flyers being included, along with their first. We could send back something else to balance if needed. We need as many warm bodies as possible to increase our chances of striking gold somewhere.

We already have about 15 warm bodies at forward for next year. If we could just ice two teams and eventually keep the cream of the crop, that would be great, but for now there must be consideration about whether we will be able to give ice time to all of these players. Frost and Patrick in particular are no guarantee to make the Jackets starting roster, as underwhelming as it is. Or maybe they make it but then boot Texier and Foudy out of their jobs.

Reactions: Viqsi

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If Philly is moving both Patrick, and Frost we would have to be sending a center back.. as Patrick is their #3 center, and Frost would probably be next in line for that spot if Patrick was moved.

Patrick was the clear 4C, after Couts, Hayes, and Laughton. They'd be happy to get rid of him too.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus

If anyone's unfamiliar with NRD, he is always ahead of the game on rumors (often a few days ahead Friedman, Lebrun, etc). If you don't believe me, check out his timeline over the past two years.

Reactions: Toe Pick

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Patrick was the clear 4C, after Couts, Hayes, and Laughton. They'd be happy to get rid of him too.
I’m guessing this writer is wrong then ?
Nolan Patrick’s value is higher at the deadline versus right now

Pardon the attempt at humor, but who do the Flyers have that could play 3C in Patrick’s absence? While there are a plethora of choices in-house, none of them are ready for that type of role with the Flyers. Tanner Laczynski and Jackson Cates each saw time with the Flyers, but don’t appear ready quite yet to assume that responsibility. While Tyson Foerster is an intriguing option, he may not be ready just yet to make the jump to the NHL. Connor Bunnaman also played a bit with the Flyers, but is much better suited to play 4C than in a top-nine role.
Michael Raffl played a majority of his games at 4C last season before being traded to Washington. With him being gone, it only magnifies the lack of NHL-ready depth the Flyers have at center. Trading Patrick before having a suitable replacement amplifies that problem. The Flyers have enough needs to address this offseason without adding another to the laundry

Kevo22363

Sep 28, 2017
Hilliard, OH

If anyone's unfamiliar with NRD, he is always ahead of the game on rumors (often a few days ahead Friedman, Lebrun, etc). If you don't believe me, check out his timeline over the past two years.

Having the trade done before the draft sounds pretty likely to me. I would think before the expansion draft because if they acquire multiple players, it could cause them protection problems. Two picks, two players and a prospect for a guy who apparently forgot how to play hockey (if I'm to believe HF mains), that can't be.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I doubt Philly would trade Farabee.
Btw if Winnipeg and Rangers really interest in Jones what they could offer?

Last edited:

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
If jarmo doesnt want to trade Marchenko/Chinakov, it'd make sense to get Frost ++ for Seth and ship Frost to Buffalo for Eichel instead

AmishLandJackets

Jun 5, 2021

I question how much interest the New York Rangers have in Seth Jones to be honest... I thought they had quite the talented young D-corp already. Adam Fox plays RHD and he isn't going anywhere obviously. Jacob Trouba is apparently in the running to be named captain last I heard.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
My thought is if the CBJ gets a return that includes a player like Farabee, for example (not implying a trade with the Flyers, just using this current example), I have to think maybe they look to move one of their expansion draft exempt wings for a young d-man that might need to be exposed otherwise. A high end wing is certainly welcome if it opens doors for other moves. I'm thinking one of the "big" three (Foudy, Bem, Tex) would be on the move. Or even a player like Chinakhov or Marchenko in a bigger deal.

Deals by the end of next weekend should start flowing. Lightning win in 5!

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I’m guessing this writer is wrong then ?
Nolan Patrick’s value is higher at the deadline versus right now

Pardon the attempt at humor, but who do the Flyers have that could play 3C in Patrick’s absence? While there are a plethora of choices in-house, none of them are ready for that type of role with the Flyers. Tanner Laczynski and Jackson Cates each saw time with the Flyers, but don’t appear ready quite yet to assume that responsibility. While Tyson Foerster is an intriguing option, he may not be ready just yet to make the jump to the NHL. Connor Bunnaman also played a bit with the Flyers, but is much better suited to play 4C than in a top-nine role.
Michael Raffl played a majority of his games at 4C last season before being traded to Washington. With him being gone, it only magnifies the lack of NHL-ready depth the Flyers have at center. Trading Patrick before having a suitable replacement amplifies that problem. The Flyers have enough needs to address this offseason without adding another to the laundry

It's at least kind of silly not to mention Scott Laughton at all. He played center ahead of Patrick this year and drew a lot of plaudits for his play.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Neither one makes sense, I don't think.

The Rangers aren't moving Fox and they also have Trouba they are stuck with at RD. There's no room for Jones there, even though I'm sure they'd prefer his qualities for those tough playoff battles moreso than the lesser Trouba and the smaller Fox.

And he's not signing in Winnipeg where he can't even get a direct flight back to see folks in the States.

Reactions: VeseleTlacovky

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think I could do Sanheim, Frost and Konceny for the return

I would prefer Farabee + Myers to Sanheim + Frost.

We don't need Sanheim at LD that much, and he's a very average player anyways. And Frost is still a ways away from making an impact.

Reactions: ColumbusTrill

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Deals by the end of next weekend should start flowing. Lightning win in 5!

I doubt too many deals happen until happen until after the expansion draft occurs. Adding a guy that has to be protected could really screw up some teams.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
3-ways are rare as they are just very complex to put together and I still see an Eichel trade as likely being a 2 team deal.

But what if (a big IF) we were still low key in the Eichel sweeps? If so there is one case I could see one going down with the latest rumors swirling.

Philly wants Jones.

It’s hard to get a read on the CBJ but it’s no secret we desperately need a franchise C like an Eichel.

Buffalo surely wants a young center back as part of any package right? How do they feel about Patrick?

Spitballing:
Philly - Jones
CBJ - Eichel, 13th overall
Buffalo - 5th overall, Patrick, Korpisalo, Sanheim

So this is what each teams gives up:

Philly: 13th overall, Patrick, Sanheim
CBJ - 5th overall, Jones, Korpisalo
Buffalo - Eichel

Certainly they can move some pieces around (ie maybe Buffalo wants a Frost instead of Sanheim, etc) or we/Philly need to throw in another prospect/pick but my point is the pieces are now there IF Buffalo likes Patrick — another big IF. If they don’t then I don’t think it works assuming they are dead set on returning a young center as part of a package.

I personally don’t want to see this happen as I’m just not convinced Eichel will be bought in here. But man, I can now see some real potential of this going down.

And maybe CBJ trades Jones ahead of any Eichel deal and then a week or so later makes a deal with Buffalo using some of those assets. I wouldn’t rule that out either.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
3-ways are rare as they are just very complex to put together and I still see an Eichel trade as likely being a 2 team deal.

But what if (a big IF) we were still low key in the Eichel sweeps? If so there is one case I could see one going down with the latest rumors swirling.

Philly wants Jones.

It’s hard to get a read on the CBJ but it’s no secret we desperately need a franchise C like an Eichel.

Buffalo surely wants a young center back as part of any package right? How do they feel about Patrick?

Spitballing:
Philly - Jones
CBJ - Eichel, 13th overall
Buffalo - 5th overall, Patrick, Korpisalo, Sanheim

So this is what each teams gives up:

Philly: 13th overall, Patrick, Sanheim
CBJ - 5th overall, Jones, Korpisalo
Buffalo - Eichel

Certainly they can move some pieces around (ie maybe Buffalo wants a Frost instead of Sanheim, etc) or we/Philly need to throw in another prospect/pick but my point is the pieces are now there IF Buffalo likes Patrick — another big IF. If they don’t then I don’t think it works assuming they are dead set on returning a young center as part of a package.

I personally don’t want to see this happen as I’m just not convinced Eichel will be bought in here. But man, I can now see some real potential of this going down.

And maybe CBJ trades Jones ahead of any Eichel deal and then a week or so later makes a deal with Buffalo using some of those assets. I wouldn’t rule that out either.

It's the same for Buffalo as it is for Columbus - reclamation projects like Patrick are just throw-ins.

I do think a 3 way deal is more likely in this case than it normally is. Perhaps the Sabres would really want Farabee.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
--Philly won't probably trade Farabee. Konecny maybe.
--IMHO Patrick isn't bad and his value is low now.
--Eichel ... let Buffalo looks for other fool who would give Sabres this value for often an injured player and who isn't a real leader yet.
--Hoglander, he's very good but count: Bjorkstrand, Laine, Atkinson (honestly, he'll play minimum in TOP 9 if not in TOP 6), Nyquist, Jenner, maybe Robinson + youngs: Bemstrom, Chinakhov, Foudy, Texier (he could play at the center) + veterans from Europe: Hofmann (he'll play because Gregory), Danforth (if he wouldn't play on the center).

Last edited:

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I'm only trading Jones to Philly if Konecny or a package including Farabee and Frost are involved. Those are the only interesting pieces to me. I still think LA and CHI are by far the best trade partners.

Reactions: Fro
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad