Seth Jones and his future (Sportsnet reports he intends to test free agency)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Would think the comparable Brisson would use is Pietrangelo

If so good news for the Jackets. He signed for 8.8 and his numbers are better than Jones'. Use him and its 8mm, give or take for Jones.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Would think the comparable Brisson would use is Pietrangelo

I agree.

Vegas signs Alex Pietrangelo to $61.6M, seven-year contract

I think it will end up at 8.8ish x 8 years with us. I penciled in 9 the other day.

Then top line right D is set. You need that. We can debate lots of stuff. Is he top 10 D in the league? Good but overrated? Better than analytics suggest? Guy that steps up when it matters but coasts sometimes? Is it worth battling over a half a million dollars per year?

Don’t screw around. Get it done or decide it is not worth it and make the trade to a team that will get it done.

Last edited:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Pietrangelo is better than Jones but was older (30) when he signed his deal with Vegas. They also got Theodore on an absolute steal of a contract.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I don’t think Jones is worth 8+ million. Are the average advanced stats a result of the CBJ system, or simply just a player that is second pairing quality?

I think Jones is a rich man's Jack Johnson, if that makes sense. Better than Johnson, can eat minutes, can play PP and PK (would love to see him on a new PP unit with new coach), but...for whatever reason, doesn't do too well with the "analytics." I watch him, his ability to skate, and am often left wondering why he isn't making more big plays. He seems content to make the safe plays and we've been hearing about "future Norris winner" for 5 years. Outside of '17-'18, it mostly hasn't come together. Dude is an elite skater, really good sense of plays developing, but just...hasn't taken that "next" step. Is some of that covering for his D partner or being asked to play a certain way? Maybe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jovavic

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think Jones is a rich man's Jack Johnson, if that makes sense. Better than Johnson, can eat minutes, can play PP and PK (would love to see him on a new PP unit with new coach), but...for whatever reason, doesn't do too well with the "analytics." I watch him, his ability to skate, and am often left wondering why he isn't making more big plays. He seems content to make the safe plays and we've been hearing about "future Norris winner" for 5 years. Outside of '17-'18, it mostly hasn't come together. Dude is an elite skater, really good sense of plays developing, but just...hasn't taken that "next" step. Is some of that covering for his D partner or being asked to play a certain way? Maybe.

I see the same thing. Those are my theories as well. In 2016-2018 the Jackets were an up tempo team. Jones could step up more to cut off opponent's rushes and obviously he would join in a lot of our rushes. Torts has since shifted them towards a very cautious defensive approach which wastes Seth's talent, both as a defender and a rusher. He's not an impresario with the puck, he's a rocket skater and he needs an open ice system to use that. I also think it would be much better if both Z and Seth had stay-at-home D partners. Seth is too naturally content to play that cautious role, he shouldn't be allowed to.

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
Jones is one of the best D men in the League.

But this season was surely not his best.
Do not know, that that will cost him of value, as a free agent...

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I see the same thing. Those are my theories as well. In 2016-2018 the Jackets were an up tempo team. Jones could step up more to cut off opponent's rushes and obviously he would join in a lot of our rushes. Torts has since shifted them towards a very cautious defensive approach which wastes Seth's talent, both as a defender and a rusher. He's not an impresario with the puck, he's a rocket skater and he needs an open ice system to use that. I also think it would be much better if both Z and Seth had stay-at-home D partners. Seth is too naturally content to play that cautious role, he shouldn't be allowed to.
Exactly.. those two are at their best when they are pushing the play up ice and creating offense. This team was built around that concept. And for the last year or so it hasn't been happening at all.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Jones is one of the best D men in the League.

But this season was surely not his best.
Do not know, that that will cost him of value, as a free agent...
Hedman
Pietrangelo
Fox
Josi
Hamilton
Makar
McAvoy
Chabot

^ All guys that I think are better than Jones.
Jones is probably in the 5-15 range in most people’s eyes.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Agree with everyone on this list except the bottom two... Seth > McAvoy — Seth > Chabot

Theodore, Ekblad, really a bunch of Avs Dmen (is it their system or their talent?) - Girard, Toews. Others that are at least getting Norris odds listed include Petry and Nurse.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I said previously that the Jackets have to sign Jones (His full trade value would have required he be traded last year). I know many - me included - have tried to establish what a fair contract would be. But at this point Seth’s re-signing isn’t about the dollars - the Jackets will pay him top 5 money. It all simply boils down to whether he wants to play for the Blue Jackets for the next 8 years.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
Jarmo is one hard headed mfer.

Jarmo wants to win every negotiation and in his mind it is just business. Players often don't agree. There is zero evidence that his approach has made Columbus a contender because of it. Maybe a more human approach would fail too. But might as well find out because if Jones walks with nothing in return the franchise just gets further from relevance.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
1. I can’t believe he answered that question. He must already know

2. I don’t believe him one bit. This isn’t like that team. It’s further from contending than it is the bottom. He’ll sell him before the season

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
As currently constructed, this team would not be in playoff contention next season at the trade deadline. If you could deal Jones at the deadline and get a couple good pieces it might be ok.

pscbj80

Aug 1, 2020
I didn't expect Jarmo to say anything else honestly. I don't believe him this time.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
I used to think Jones was going to resign, but now I'm not so sure. And we can't really use him to bring in anyone to help now because help now talent will not want to come here without Jones. Might be time to blow it and start with trading Jones.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Gut says it isn’t about the money for Seth.. it’s about coach/where this team is headed from upcoming roster moves.

Until that’s more clear why would he sign the next 8 years away? (Unless you look at it as him being signed will boost open up the choice of teams willing to trade for him?)

Either way, this feels exactly like the summer of waiting to see what happened with Panarin.. and that wasn’t fun as a fan :laugh:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Is there anything regarding Seth that Jarmo said, other than saying there's no ultimatum?

Saying that, by itself, isn't that telling to me. I'm not sure if this even qualifies as news, either regarding Seth's plans or Jarmo's.

- If Seth is interested in staying, Jarmo saying there is an ultimatum will create a public spectacle, with plenty of unwanted news stories about an impending trade. The team won't want a ton of speculation about an impending rebuild which would hurt the team's reputation, and they won't want extra public pressure on Seth.

- If Seth is not interested in staying, all the same speculation and pressure. Jarmo won't want the extra pressure to box him in and limit his trade options, he'd rather make news when he has deals to announce.

Edit: Has a team ever announced an ultimatum before the negotiation period begins? Does the league allow that sort of pre-negotiation posturing?

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
Is there anything regarding Seth that Jarmo said, other than saying there's no ultimatum?

Saying that, by itself, isn't that telling to me. I'm not sure if this even qualifies as news, either regarding Seth's plans or Jarmo's.

- If Seth is interested in staying, Jarmo saying there is an ultimatum will create a public spectacle, with plenty of unwanted news stories about an impending trade. The team won't want a ton of speculation about an impending rebuild which would hurt the team's reputation, and they won't want extra public pressure on Seth.

- If Seth is not interested in staying, all the same speculation and pressure. Jarmo won't want the extra pressure to box him in and limit his trade options, he'd rather make news when he has deals to announce.

Edit: Has a team ever announced an ultimatum before the negotiation period begins? Does the league allow that sort of pre-negotiation posturing?

These are good points. I feel better now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad