Seth Jones and his future (Sportsnet reports he intends to test free agency)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I hope it is us. Good lord, as a fan why do you want to see that money sitting in McConnell’s wallet rather than being used to put a very good player on their. One of the most annoying attributes of Columbus is that they would
rather pay mediocre money to mediocre players and then complain about why the team is mediocre.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
I think he wants to see what Jarmo does 1st. You don't need to trade him if he doesn't sign the 1st day he can. The team is at a crossroads. He sees this, and he is well within his right to wait and see what Jarmo does. After the dust has settled and Jones doesn't resign, then you trade him by the start of the next season. I think he does resign personally. I trust Jarmo can get the players to stabilize the middle of the ice, through free agency and using the trade assest we have (Korpi/Elvis, Z, the firsts we got) to convince Seth that Columbus is the place for him. Heck, even based on his comments about meeting with Jarmo it seems it more about making Columbus more desirable to come too. That sounds like a player who wants to stay.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
Someone is going to pay him 8+ million and be sorely disappointed, I hope it's not us.

Columbus should never pay a player the market price. Get rid of him and all other players wanting the market price for cheaper players even if it means finishing last for a decade. That will show the rest of the league how smart management is in Columbus. And they can charge well below market for tickets too since there will be plenty of them available.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
If Seth wants to stay - pay the man. I know he didn't have his best season, but in the playoffs he's been a stud, eating minutes, really battling.

My fear is his dad was a pro (NBA) and he's seen a few cities. I think he will have several/many suitors and can likely get similar money and term from many places and unfortunately many of those places may be a year or two ahead of us as far as competing for a championship.

In our favor is we do have cap room and despite interest from a lot of places I'm not sure how many would have that kind of salary space available.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
The one thing we can offer that no one else can is the opportunity to be team Captain. And in hockey that is a valuable asset.

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016

Listen to those answers no way in h€%& is he resigning!!

Jarmo has a lot to offer to land a nr 1C.

Jones+goaltender+picks.

Think Jarmo can beat any of drury's offers for Eichel ,Reinhart and Ristolainen.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Listen to those answers no way in h€%& is he resigning!!

Jarmo has a lot to offer to land a nr 1C.

Jones+goaltender+picks.

Think Jarmo can beat any of drury's offers for Eichel ,Reinhart and Ristolainen.

I doubt he resigns as well. It wouldn’t be right.

But I do think there’s a chance he re-signs. His answers point to him wanting to be here next year. Beyond that? We’ll see. He said he’s got to think about it.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Jarmo cannot let this turn into Panarin Part 2. Make him a solid offer this offseason and if he balks at it, then unfortunately he will have to be moved whether it's during the offseason or at the trade deadline next year. He cannot be allowed to walk away with nothing to show for it.

Moch Daear

Jan 9, 2011
Jarmo cannot let this turn into Panarin Part 2. Make him a solid offer this offseason and if he balks at it, then unfortunately he will have to be moved whether it's during the offseason or at the trade deadline next year. He cannot be allowed to walk away with nothing to show for it.

The difference between Jones offer and Panarin offer is that Panarin offer was offered during a year where we felt like we had a good team. This year (unless coaching change results in dramatic changes on ice) we certainly won't. Makes it easier to "break up the band" when you don't have anything for which to play.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
The difference between Jones offer and Panarin offer is that Panarin offer was offered during a year where we felt like we had a good team. This year (unless coaching change results in dramatic changes on ice) we certainly won't. Makes it easier to "break up the band" when you don't have anything for which to play.

Different circumstances now vs. then, that's for sure. Either way, Jones cannot be allowed to walk away with the Jackets having nothing to show for it. I'm not as optimistic about the team's chances next year as I was this time three years ago for the 2018-19 season so for me it would be easier to say Goodbye to Seth if it came to that than it would have been to say Goodbye to Panarin after only one season here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moch Daear

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Columbus should never pay a player the market price. Get rid of him and all other players wanting the market price for cheaper players even if it means finishing last for a decade. That will show the rest of the league how smart management is in Columbus. And they can charge well below market for tickets too since there will be plenty of them available.
Yeah, that'll really teach the league.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I think he is truly open to staying or leaving and is using that as leverage to the FO. His statement about "changing the stigma surrounding Columbus" or whatever canceled out his noncommittal comments. Someone who's heart is set on skipping town doesn't say stuff like that.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
To me it is obvious that his agent is going to have some hard, tough talk with Jarmo about where the franchise is going. The way Jarmo allowed the team to collapse over the past two years would have to way on Seth's mind. This is probably better handled by the agent than Seth having that kind of face to with Jarmo.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Given his interview responses, I think Jones's decision to leave or stay will come down to either money or where he thinks the team is headed.

If he sincerely believes he can get more money elsewhere or he believes that the team will not be competitive for multiple years, then I do not blame him for utilizing free agency. If he leaves, I don't think it will have to do with the city or anything like that.

It is up to Jarmo to make a good offer that he would accept and convince him that the team will be competitive sooner rather than later.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm definitely in the give him a great offer and if he balks shop him camp. No more Panarin situations. How much the Jackets pay is meh to me. Difference between 8,5 & 10 is not much in terms of the cap. Gets close to 1% as cap rises over the next 8 years. Jarmo needs to commit to doing what is necessary to make the team better.Or at least try.

Reactions: Toe Pick

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I hope it is us. Good lord, as a fan why do you want to see that money sitting in McConnell’s wallet rather than being used to put a very good player on their. One of the most annoying attributes of Columbus is that they would
rather pay mediocre money to mediocre players and then complain about why the team is mediocre.
The team spends to the cap almost every year now. Overpaying a player when the odds are that last 3 or 4 years of an 8 year deal will be a terrible over payment is not a good idea. Look at San Jose and LA if you're in favor of "reward deals". These are teams which almost can't be competitive for years due to foolish "reward" overpayment.

8 year deals for non superstars-and Jones isn't even close to being a superstar-are ridiculous. Signing up 21 year olds to 8 year deals make a whole lot of sense, 27 year olds it doesn't-unless their name is McDavid or perhaps Matthews or Marner. The old way of "pay the veteran" because of underpaying RFAs is a terrible business/performance model to follow. Atkinson has 60 points in his last 100 games and has 4 years left to go on his deal. This deal will seem like a bargain if Jones get $9m+ for 8 years.

Reactions: Jovavic

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Some of you guys are too jaded by Panarin leaving us at the altar .

Why would Jones talk about Columbus getting a bad rap with free agents , and that he planned to talk to Jarmo about that .. why would he do that if he’s not resigning here ?

Jarmo can offer him the opportunity to be the face of the franchise , captain of the blue jackets (pretty sure he would be only bi racial captain currently in league ), and pay him top dollar to do so as well

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

Why would Jones talk about Columbus getting a bad rap with free agents , and that he planned to talk to Jarmo about that .. why would he do that if he’s not resigning here ?

Jarmo can offer him the opportunity to be the face of the franchise , captain of the blue jackets (pretty sure he would be only bi racial captain currently in league ), and pay him top dollar to do so as well

He can care about the city of Columbus and the future of the team and still want to move on - they're not mutually exclusive.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV

As far as I'm concerned, it's not about being jaded by Panarin leaving; it's being jaded about Panarin leaving and the Jackets having zero assets to show for it. Feelings be damned; it's about asset management at this point.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

The same reason why Duchene left after being so complimentary of the city and team (which btw, you bought into hard that he was staying) because it’s not about the city it’s about the team. Jones might feel he has a better chance to win elsewhere. He has his money and he will get paid anywhere he wants to go. But is Columbus where he can win?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln