Confirmed with Link: Seth Jones, a late 1st, and a 6th for Boqvist, 2 1sts, and a 2nd, and Jones gets a massive extension

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Again, it will likely be a few years before this trade can be logically evaluated... I never understand people that lose their mind over trades that involve prospects or draft picks.

Because some of us are smart enough to project/see what’s gonna happen pretty accurately before it happens, you know like I have been saying for 7 years now that Stan is garbage but I have been ridiculed, yes I was right all along while you were sitting there saying how can you lose your mind and how do you know what’s gonna happen bla bla bla…

Last edited:
Reactions: BobbyJet

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Again, it will likely be a few years before this trade can be logically evaluated... I never understand people that lose their mind over trades that involve prospects or draft picks.
This is a weird stance from you considering that before we made this trade or potentially signed Hamilton you were all about just keeping our picks and prospects and rebuilding the proper way.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
Because some of us are smart enough to project/see what’s gonna happen pretty accurately before it happens, you know like I have been saying for 7 years now that Stan is garbage but I have been ridiculed, yes I was right all along while you were sitting there saying how can you lose your mind and how do you know what’s gonna happen bla bla bla…
Hypothetically, we don't trade for Jones. It is probable that Hamilton doesn't sign with us. Are you good moving forward with our D corps? Who is our #1? There are almost zero guys, who can play that high-level role, be available for the next long while via free agency. Genuinely curious if you were good with hoping Boqvist became that guy and just watching us scrape the bottom of the league?

I think that if Toews (maybe still plays) and Kane can take team-friendly discounts when their deals up, and Dach can bridge, we are in a prime position. We have so much cap flexibility coming up, there is still plenty of money to go around. IMO Jones is a far more complete player than Dougie Hamilton ever will be. Assets aside or not, it was still the right move.

WarLax

Apr 17, 2016
This is a weird stance from you considering that before we made this trade or potentially signed Hamilton you were all about just keeping our picks and prospects and rebuilding the proper way.

I don't think so. I also felt that way, as far as keeping our picks and doing a long rebuild. That said, life comes at you fast, and you have to adapt with it.

I'm not of a mind to be perpetually unhappy, or gripe about something ad nauseam. So while I preferred one way, the Blackhawks have chosen a different path and I can see the excitement/potential in that path.

So while things ultimately didn't go the way I thought was best, I'm going to make the best of the direction the Hawks going now. There is no guaranteed path to success, so I'm just going to root for the team as they transition down this new path.

I can't speak for Pez, but given our similar stances pre and post trade, thats my reasoning for a more measured stance.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Hypothetically, we don't trade for Jones. It is probable that Hamilton doesn't sign with us. Are you good moving forward with our D corps? Who is our #1? There are almost zero guys, who can play that high-level role, be available for the next long while via free agency. Genuinely curious if you were good with hoping Boqvist became that guy and just watching us scrape the bottom of the league?

I think that if Toews (maybe still plays) and Kane can take team-friendly discounts when their deals up, and Dach can bridge, we are in a prime position. We have so much cap flexibility coming up, there is still plenty of money to go around. IMO Jones is a far more complete player than Dougie Hamilton ever will be. Assets aside or not, it was still the right move.

Yes I am very ok with not paying 3 first round picks for Jones and then paying him an insane amount of money, you say this as no overpayment is too much overpayment, there is a reason why this is an overpayment, you are weakening your team more than you are making it better, what would be more ridiculous than this 10 first round draft picks? Do people not understand the implications associated with just giving away first round draft picks???

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Yes I am very ok with not paying 3 first round picks for Jones and then paying him an insane amount of money, you say this as no overpayment is too much overpayment, there is a reason why this is an overpayment, you are weakening your team more than you are making it better, what would be more ridiculous than this 10 first round draft picks? Do people not understand the implications associated with just giving away first round draft picks???
So in this trade we got a 1st round pick back (32nd) and a #3 overall pick back in Jones. If you are going to count Boqvist as a first round pick then so is Jones.

So we gave away 3 first round picks (1 that isn't even until the following year) for 2 first round picks where one of them is by far and away the best piece of the trade and will be for at least the next 3-4 years minimum...

but yeah, you keep trying to explain things to us...

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006

Are you seeing the money that #1ish type defensemen are getting at that age range? The contract isn't wildly outlandish, and either way it does nothing to cripple us. We don't even have anyone on our radar that is going to get near Toews/Kane money, so what does it matter?

Also, do you understand the overrating of always stocking up on hope? If first round picks are so wildly important to team success, why isn't Buffalo a powerhouse? Hell, even Edmonton? They have more high end first round picks than any other team over the last decade but still go no where. Sometimes you need to pay a bit to get a more sure thing, like Jones, over hoping it works out with a wildly unknown draft pick position, prospect, and then development curve. I understand some teams have had success with it, like Colorado to help fill their depth, but a lot of that also comes from extremely high picks. Hawks would have to 100% bottom out over the next 5 years and hope they don't get juked by the lottery.

I'm good with the short term plan. If T+K can scratch Stan's back a bit next contract, we have tons of space, they can be solid depth contributors and then use some of your beloved cap space to sign some high end talent that is apparently climbing over each other to sign here.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019

I've been thinking about what Kane and Toews's new contracts look like. I can seen Kane getting a longer contract for a lower AAV. If you're going to bet on a player to play a long time, Kane is not a bad bet. Toews, I'm not sure.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Why is that? I would have preferred we stayed the course instead of this cost of youth for Seth but I can see the benefit and how this could work out for the hawks. His post was still correct as those aren’t mutually exclusive ideas. You can be against something but still see the possible benefits. It’s called keeping an open mind.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
So in this trade we got a 1st round pick back (32nd) and a #3 overall pick back in Jones. If you are going to count Boqvist as a first round pick then so is Jones.

So we gave away 3 first round picks (1 that isn't even until the following year) for 2 first round picks where one of them is by far and away the best piece of the trade and will be for at least the next 3-4 years minimum...

This. Critics of the trade love to count Boqvist as a 1st rounder to make the deal look more lopsided, conveniently leaving out the fact that Jones was also a 1st rounder.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Lol.

Reactions: AmericanDream

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
All posters have to say is they don’t like the trade and boom their opinion is out there but nope every thread goes down the same path of bowman bitching. Doesn’t matter the thread same crap over and over.

They all continue to go that way because it's the same 2-3 people that come into every thread and bitch about Bowman incessantly. Those people bitch about Bowman non-stop, because they literally know nothing else about the sport, players, league, rules, or anything else hockey, outside of the fact that they don't like Bowman. So don't expect it to end any time soon.

Last edited:

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
All posters have to say is they don’t like the trade and boom their opinion is out there but nope every thread goes down the same path of bowman bitching. Doesn’t matter the thread same crap over and over.
There is one guy whose obsession with Bowman is so overwhelming, he's incapable of posting in any thread without trashing him. It's actually pretty sad.

Geoffrey Kriston

Oct 15, 2020
I was looking for scouting reports on Jones to get a better idea of this trade and found this: Is Seth Jones Actually Elite?, I think it's worth a read.

I also think it's worth pointing out that Jones *is* an elite athlete, that the reaction of the Columbus GM at the draft basically said Jones had done everything they'd asked, and that our younger players learning some of the very things Jones hasn't done as much of was the reason the BHawks decided to release Zadorov this offseason.

Even if Seth Jones remains a middling defender, it looks like the plan is to pair him with McCabe, who does all the little thibgs the article mentions and as a result produced elite analytics - and drastically boosted Ristolainen's analytics - with the freaking *Sabres*. We'll see if Jones takes the next step but the pair of moves together looks promising

Reactions: Muffinalt

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
This. Critics of the trade love to count Boqvist as a 1st rounder to make the deal look more lopsided, conveniently leaving out the fact that Jones was also a 1st rounder.

Jones is the best player in the trade by far, so Chicago received Jones (4thOA), 2021 (31stOA) and a 6th rounder and gave Boqvist (8thOA - 2018), 2021 (12thOA), 2021 (44thOA), and 2022 (1st rnd protected if 1-2). I can see the argument if Bowman was ok paying 9MM in salary just sign the top FA Dman in Hamilton and keep the assets Have to look back 3-4 years from now to see how it all plays out. Jones is my favorite player, and he's playing on my favorit Western conference team. Jones is feeling good having had control over his future.. he is going to be a friggin monster for the Hawks

Last edited:

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020

Nice!
Legit #1 defenceman
Way back at the deadline it was commonly known that the Hawks had a glut of promising young defencemen in Boqvist Mitchell Beaudin Kalynuk and Carlsson…atleast one had to go, it was Carlsson to FLA with Stillman coming back…
So now the Hawks have basically went from Keith and Boqvist to the two Jones…

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Jones is the best player in the trade by far, so Chicago received Jones (4thOA), 2021 (31stOA) and a 6th rounder and gave Boqvist (8thOA - 2018), 2021 (12thOA), 2021 (44thOA), and 2022 (1st rnd protected if 1-2). I can see the argument if Bowman was ok paying 9MM in salary just sign the top FA Dman in Hamilton and keep the assets Have to look back 3-4 years from now to see how it all plays out. Jones is my favorite player, and he's playing on my favorit Western conference team. Jones is feeling good having had control over his future.. he is going to be a friggin monster for the Hawks
I hope you are right.... haven't seen a lot of Jones play but from what I have seen he has looked good, I think that many Hawks fans underestimate his abilities.

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
I am in no way comparing Boris Mironov to Seth Jones, but this is a similar trade where a team that is desperate to improve trades a bunch of youth. It’s not going to work out. The best you can hope for is a wash.

This isn’t Chicago breaking the bank for Hossa. This is a barely .500 team mortgaging the future to be a consistent .500 team.

Also, losing 9.5 million in cap space for years is a huge opportunity cost. Jones is not worth all of those picks AND all of that cap space.

Last edited:
Reactions: JaegerDice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad