Series Talk: MDSF Flyers (3) vs Penguins (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Giroux line will do their thing, it’s up to Patrick and Konecny to prove they are capable of taking over at times creating for others. Their still young, but this is were stars show they belong

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island
I love how every team's fanbase thinks broadcasters prefer the other team. Pierre adores Giroux, Konecny, Provorov, and Ghost. He gushes over all 4. He also loves Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Kessel.

Here's a secret: Pierre really, really likes hockey. He also really, really likes good hockey players, and all of those listed are really, really good hockey players. Is he annoying? Yes, but it's not like he isn't fair in his good hockey player manlove.

Honestly, I'm kind of impressed that the NBC team isn't more vocally biased towards the Penguins, given that both Eddie O and Pierre have coached the team and Doc is a essentially a yinzer (born in Indiana, but grew up a Pirates fan and covered the Penguins in their early days). But yeah, I spent 7 years of my adult life in Pittsburgh watching Flyers/Penguins games with their fans, and they have the same complaints. It's like Joe Buck: if literally everyone thinks the guy hates their team, it probably means he doesn't.

This x1000. I love Pierre. I can listen to him talk Hockey all day. Guy just lives for it. Does he love the pens? Yup, but so does every national outlet. All the big time guys up north blow Sid too. But pierre has been gushing over flyers forever since his man crush on Richie. Been saying for years how we have a murders row of prospects (pronounces in his fake French accent to pronounce Morin) he also said immediately after we drafted Patrick “the flyers are making the playoffs this year” and twitter collectively lost their minds over it. I tried searching for the one guy who went on a crusade after it but couldn’t find it.

All the other stuff people get so upset about like him talking about hometowns I find absolutely hysterical. Guy is a gem. Him walking off the bench down the tunnel with a Giroux last week after the Boston game and getting patted on the back by the flyers staff had me in tears.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This x1000. I love Pierre. I can listen to him talk Hockey all day. Guy just lives for it. Does he love the pens? Yup, but so does every national outlet. All the big time guys up north blow Sid too. But pierre has been gushing over flyers forever since his man crush on Richie. Been saying for years how we have a murders row of prospects (pronounces in his fake French accent to pronounce Morin) he also said immediately after we drafted Patrick “the flyers are making the playoffs this year” and twitter collectively lost their minds over it. I tried searching for the one guy who went on a crusade after it but couldn’t find it.

All the other stuff people get so upset about like him talking about hometowns I find absolutely hysterical. Guy is a gem. Him walking off the bench down the tunnel with a Giroux last week after the Boston game and getting patted on the back by the flyers staff had me in tears.

:eyeroll:

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I know this wont be popular...but I really think G back to center needs to happen.

Raffl-Giroux-Konecny
Weal-Couturier-Voracek
Lindblom-Patrick-Simmonds
Leier-Laughton-Read

I know I know...stick to.what got us here. Id be willing to do that...but if the match up issue is clear after a bad game 1 loss...id like to see an adjustment made.

I really dont want it to be like 2016 where we just give them the 1st 3 games before doing anything.

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
Pens in 4 or 5. No doubt.

Crosby is still ****ing beast against us. Malkin is Malkin.
We have stupid ****ing bad coach. Really bad PK.
Our bottom with Filppula, Simmonds, Lehterä, Read... LOL. LOL. LOOOL. (I'm crying)
Manning with Gudas. MacDonald in lineup. Hahaha.

And I just can't wait for that matchup Filppula vs. Crosby/Malkin. :laugh::help::help::help:

My only and one hoping is in our G-sus. He and our great TOP6 (with Provocop+Ghost) are only our chances.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

Yeah. Like, no shit broadcasters blow Crosby, he's the best hockey player on the planet. Mythmaking is also important for national media outlets: Crosby's the best and it's part of a monstrous legacy if he's winning championships, so that's a compelling story. Will they double down on his greatness? Yes, they're selling a product. Are they going to groan the way a local broadcaster does when a borderline penalty isn't called (JJ: "They SAY it's legal...")? No, they don't do that.

It's OK, get worked up over the stuff on the ice. You can always tune out the broadcast, hell, mute the TV and put Saunders and Coatesy on for maximum comedy.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaphneLion

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I think Lindblom and Sanheim will be healthy scratched in favor of weise and oduya.
That's the worst thing I can think of so you know hakstol is thinking about it. Plus the whole veteran nonsense.

Reactions: klutch

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
I love how every team's fanbase thinks broadcasters prefer the other team. Pierre adores Giroux, Konecny, Provorov, and Ghost. He gushes over all 4. He also loves Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Kessel.

Here's a secret: Pierre really, really likes hockey. He also really, really likes good hockey players, and all of those listed are really, really good hockey players. Is he annoying? Yes, but it's not like he isn't fair in his good hockey player manlove.

Honestly, I'm kind of impressed that the NBC team isn't more vocally biased towards the Penguins, given that both Eddie O and Pierre have coached the team and Doc is a essentially a yinzer (born in Indiana, but grew up a Pirates fan and covered the Penguins in their early days). But yeah, I spent 7 years of my adult life in Pittsburgh watching Flyers/Penguins games with their fans, and they have the same complaints. It's like Joe Buck: if literally everyone thinks the guy hates their team, it probably means he doesn't.
Agree. Suspect this angst re NBC team is inversely correlated to age. Age brings perspective. That said, I prefer to mute most of the broadcasts. My husband's commentary is much more entertaining!

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Sullivan will absolutely eat up every time Flip is out against Sid, and Dick Beet Dave won’t adjust because well we’ve all seen it all year, Elliot needs to be on point and make the routine and big saves, second line and third line need to heat way up, let’s hope Provy can play 30mins because Ghost will be sitting on the bench with 8-9mins to go in the 3rd, but overall the Pens are stacked down the middle, and are coached very well and ice the best player in the game, I’m hoping they don’t get swept

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah. Like, no **** broadcasters blow Crosby, he's the best hockey player on the planet. Mythmaking is also important for national media outlets: Crosby's the best and it's part of a monstrous legacy if he's winning championships, so that's a compelling story. Will they double down on his greatness? Yes, they're selling a product. Are they going to grown the way a local broadcaster does when a borderline penalty isn't called (JJ: "They SAY it's legal...")? No, they don't do that.

It's OK, get worked up over the stuff on the ice. You can always tune out the broadcast, hell, mute the TV and put Saunders and Coatesy on for maximum comedy.

Not anymore.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Sullivan will absolutely eat up every time Flip is out against Sid, and Dick Beet Dave won’t adjust because well we’ve all seen it all year, Elliot needs to be on point and make the routine and big saves, second line and third line need to heat way up, let’s hope Provy can play 30mins because Ghost will be sitting on the bench with 8-9mins to go in the 3rd, but overall the Pens are stacked down the middle, and are coached very well and ice the best player in the game, I’m hoping they don’t get swept

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Enough with the negativity. Stop acting like Pitt is an unstoppable juggernaut and the Flyers are garbage. They finished two points ahead in the standings. The Flyers are underdogs for sure but people need to stop acting like this is a foregone conclusion because we have Filpula and AMac on this team. The Pens defense is nothing special and Murray has been shaky. Their forwards aren't exactly superstars in the bottom six either. Their top-end beats our top-end no questions there, but this is not David and Goliath.

Last edited:

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I think Lindblom and Sanheim will be healthy scratched in favor of weise and oduya.
That's the worst thing I can think of so you know hakstol is thinking about it. Plus the whole veteran nonsense.

Is Oduya even healthy? I might take him over AMac but that would never happen.

I really hate the Sanheim-MacDonald pairing. Honestly think they'd be better off rolling Sanheim-Gudas and MacDonald-Manning (which isn't saying much). Sanheim still gets lost in his own zone sometimes, and MacDonald is lost in his own zone at all times, which is bad. They literally ran into each other during a prolonged zone stay during a 4 on 4 in that Carolina game. That pairing just got turned around badly. In the very least, Gudas at least knows where to go and what side he is playing, which will be more helpful for Sanheim's development/confidence than trying to figure out how to cover for an absolute shithead like MacDonald.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Is Oduya even healthy? I might take him over AMac but that would never happen.

I really hate the Sanheim-MacDonald pairing. Honestly think they'd be better off rolling Sanheim-Gudas and MacDonald-Manning (which isn't saying much). Sanheim still gets lost in his own zone sometimes, and MacDonald is lost in his own zone at all times, which is bad. They literally ran into each other during a prolonged zone stay during a 4 on 4 in that Carolina game. That pairing just got turned around badly. In the very least, Gudas at least knows where to go and what side he is playing, which will be more helpful for Sanheim's development/confidence than trying to figure out how to cover for an absolute ****head like MacDonald.

Sanheim - Gudas should absolutely be the 2nd pair with MacDonald - Manning playing a sheltered 12 minutes. That would required a coach that recognizes their shortcomings though.

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Sanheim - Gudas should absolutely be the 2nd pair with MacDonald - Manning playing a sheltered 12 minutes. That would required a coach that recognizes their shortcomings though.

Yeah. Like all of my complaints with Sanheim have to do with acclimation/confidence/learning the flow of NHL defense, and MacDonald will just not help with that. His good skating and breakout passes are meaningless if he spends his whole shift trying to guess who he is covering because the veteran presence on his pairing is busy freelancing or hanging out at the top of the circle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad