Pre-Game Talk: Series Discussion: San Jose vs St Louis

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
barbashev hit was pretty bad, would expect a game there. blais hit the other day was bad but there was no way he was getting a game after the hand pass, even tho they arent related. petro hit was fine, just a wonky collision, and i thought pavs was limping off. limps seem like a strange symptom of a headshot to me...

meier and kane going for knees are also pretty stupid, and someone punched sunny in the back of the head behind the play 4 or 5 times. if the sharks really want it to be evened up.....it already is.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis

Sent with @Nhl

Rewatched the highlights...two things...

1) SJ (Kane) had some good chances that hit the post, but the Blues had their own good chances that didn't go in as well (Schenn post and many good rushes that just didn't make it by Jones)
2) NBC crew seemed deflated, sounded like they were at a funeral...LOL...
3) SJ came out on fire for about 5-10 minutes at the start. Their best chance came when we didn't backcheck hard enough on neutral zone turn overs
4) If you get a lead on SJ, good things happen as long as you keep playing YOUR game; I hope we do this Tuesday

Reactions: Bluenatic

hullderko

Apr 21, 2015
The boys need to take game 6 as seriously as game 5. Stay on them for another full 60 and do not think for a second that the Sharks are out of gas.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Everyone talking about the Barbie hit on Hertle just remember how fast he bounced back up when he saw there was no call. Hertle wasn't f***ing hurt on the play at all. At best the refs missed a 2 minute penalty, no 5 minute major, no fine, no suspension. He wasn't even taken off for concussion protocol. That's how weak the hit was.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I'm confident going into tomorrow night. Not over confident, per say, but definitely confident. This team knows how to turn it on and win when they need to. It's impressive.

Game 6 against the Jets, game 6 and 7 against the Stars. This is a team that seems to understand the moment and can take care of business. I love it.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
[QUOTE="ManyIdeas, post: 161178651, member: 150945"]barbashev hit was pretty bad, would expect a game there. blais hit the other day was bad but there was no way he was getting a game after the hand pass, even tho they arent related. petro hit was fine, just a wonky collision, and i thought pavs was limping off. limps seem like a strange symptom of a headshot to me...

meier and kane going for knees are also pretty stupid, and someone punched sunny in the back of the head behind the play 4 or 5 times. if the sharks really want it to be evened up.....it already is.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what Chief wants. To me, this is playoff hockey, Berube-style. The Blues are no longer going to be intimidated by anyone. People get hurt on the race to the Cup. Better it be the other guys.

Not for the faint of heart. Let's see if San Jose responds.

Reactions: mk80

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
The boys need to take game 6 as seriously as game 5. Stay on them for another full 60 and do not think for a second that the Sharks are out of gas.
They'll have 5 days off if they do, one day off if they don't. Sleep on Wednesday.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
For all the talk of the officiating, the fact of the matter is, since the hand pass debacle the Blues have out scored SJ 7-1. Yeah, SJ got the better of the play after the Blues went up 2-0 in game 4 but they weren’t getting great chances. And yesterday the Sharks got their shit pushed in for 40 minutes straight and decided to whine about not getting a 5 minute major (I’m sure they expect this now at critical moments.) I suspect both Pavelski and Hertl will play tomorrow, I can’t imagine they try Karlsson again. But it shouldn’t matter. The Blues have shown they can take the series over, and I think we’ll see that tomorrow night.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I have to quote a Shark fan but to keep people from jumping forums it'll remain anonymous.

"what's really ridiculous is this series comes down to their fourth line basically winning all the games for them. Parity is good to a degree, but when the difference in series can be a fourth line scoring in every game, it is not good at all. Stars should shine, not scrubs."

Who doesn't like watching talented players make dazzling plays? Saying that, I have the exact opposite mind set to the posted quote. Hockey is the one sport that a less talented team can beat a more talented team due to effort. I've seen it a 100 times. You can't say the same about the other major sports. Hockey is the ultimate team sport to me and a lot of it is this variable.

Burynai

Nov 10, 2010
St. Louis
I have to quote a Shark fan but to keep people from jumping forums it'll remain anonymous.

"what's really ridiculous is this series comes down to their fourth line basically winning all the games for them. Parity is good to a degree, but when the difference in series can be a fourth line scoring in every game, it is not good at all. Stars should shine, not scrubs."

Who doesn't like watching talented players make dazzling plays? Saying that, I have the exact opposite mind set to the posted quote. Hockey is the one sport that a less talented team can beat a more talented team due to effort. I've seen it a 100 times. You can't say the same about the other major sports. Hockey is the ultimate team sport to me and a lot of it is this variable.

Who would have thought that actually "depth" and not just paper depth could determine a series? Anyone who followed this team knew they were deep but apparently our opponents didn't.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014

ya i saw that post last night rofl, that thread was pure gold

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I think the Sharks might have a legitimate gripe for the Barbashev hit. The head was the main point of contact and I wouldn’t complain much if he got a game for it. The hit on Pavelski seemed like a big hit with an unfortunate result, I don’t think there was much there.

The Sharks playing the victim card is pretty rich given how their postseason has gone and the fact they ran around and gooned it up for the entire third period. They had Haley out there for an offensive zone draw down multiple goals. Give me a break. Also Meier trying to take Pietrangelo’s knees out was probably the dirtiest thing that happened last game.

Knife. Brain. All that. Finish them off tomorrow.

I disagree on the Barbeshev hit. I need a better angle and better resolution/FPS than the gifs I have seen. But to me, it looks like Hertl's head doesn't move until after Barbashev's shoulder is well past his chin. I think his chin hit Barby's back when the shoulder to far shoulder hit caused him to jerk forward. But its so hard to tell for certain with the crappy vids I have seen, and I could change my mind based on a better angle. Sadly I deleted my DVR of the game before I realized how much Sharks fans would be complaining about the hit.

That said, there is no way the head was the MAIN point of contact. It may have been the first point, but Barbashev solidly his his right shoulder with his own right shoulder. That was a far more solid hit than any clipping of the chin. Either one of two things happened. Barbashev clipped his chin prior to much more solid shoulder to shoulder contact or his chin hit Barby's back when his body jerked after the hit. Either way, the shoulder to shoulder contact was much more solid than the chin contact and hence the head was not the main point of contact.

I'd be fine either way on discipline if there was consistency (which I think hockey fans across all teams can agree). If the league suspends any hit that touches the head, suspend him. If the league only suspends for hits where the first point of contact is the head, then get better video and make the call. However, if the standard is that the main point of contact is the head, then this is in no way a violation.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017

My favorite comments were the ones about Burns tripping Tarasenko for the penalty shot. They were all screaming about how Burns must have been interfered with because he was on the ice

My favorite :

“right, like what the **** was burns on the ice for? anyone gonna ask the ****ing question?”

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
My favorite comments were the ones about Burns tripping Tarasenko for the penalty shot. They were all screaming about how Burns must have been interfered with because he was on the ice

My favorite :

“right, like what the **** was burns on the ice for? anyone gonna ask the ****ing question?”

Ya good for chuckles :)

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
All 3 series have been a lot different from each other.

Winnipeg started off the series checking the hell out of the Blues but it wasn't producing the W's they wanted. They still hit every game but it was less as the series went along.

Dallas spent more time diving than trying to score goals. It was funny to hear their fans boo every time a Star fell down expecting a penalty.

This San Jose series the Blues actually got screwed on a ref call but Berube didn't take liberties like he could have. Army did lol and that's funny, but (hopefully) Army isn't in the locker room. It's completely the opposite from the head coach in San Jose, Doober. How many times has Doober Goober complained publicly about the refs? It's both comical and sad. His team literally got gifted the chance to beat Vegas in the deciding game. Doesn't that alone use up all your chances at crying? Evidently not. Doober Goober has repeatedly voiced his whining publicly. Holy shit dude, you're all out of free free bumblebees lol

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
The more I watch DeBoer's comments on these games, the more and more I can't stand him. He completely downplays the insane amount of help his team has gotten in every single series from the refs and talks about overcoming adversity. He then goes on to talk about Ivan's hit possibly being a "momentum-changing play." Am I missing something? If you want to claim that hockey is unfair and you have to deal with it, you better be prepared to swallow some of your own medicine. Regardless of what you think about Barbashev's hit, that is NOWHERE NEAR on the level of the amount of "momentum-changing plays" the Sharks have been on the receiving end of all postseason. He just comes across as a whiny bitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad