Pre-Game Talk: Series Discussion - Boston vs St. Louis Part II

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Holy Boston Beans!

He said the Blues “disgust” him.

That’s kinda weird.

He's a shock jock. His shtick is to just figure out which way his audience's opinions are trending and turn the dial to 11. Itss not coherent analysis. nor is it meant to be. He is tapping into and feeding his aidoence's negative emotions. Think the difference between a Dizee post and a Easton post. One is analysis and one is schlock. For example,the Boston guy says he hates the Blues style and hopes nobody ever wins with that style. Yet all the real analysts said we played a very similar style to his team. So if the Blues style never wins, Boston's style never will either.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
He's a shock jock. His shtick is to just figure out which way his audience's opinions are trending and turn the dial to 11. Itss not coherent analysis. nor is it meant to be. He is tapping into and feeding his aidoence's negative emotions. Think the difference between a Dizee post and a Easton post. One is analysis and one is schlock. For example,the Boston guy says he hates the Blues style and hopes nobody ever wins with that style. Yet all the real analysts said we played a very similar style to his team. So if the Blues style never wins, Boston's style never will either.
Shock Jock is a pretty good beer!

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
thats a terrible comparison but ill play along

the difference is my post are usually on the money and his posts are usually defending a captain creampuff play.

we should dig up all the old posts about shattenkirk and his awful +-, it would be a great read seeing as i was right on the money about him.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
thats a terrible comparison but ill play along

the difference is my post are usually on the money and his posts are usually defending a captain creampuff play.

we should dig up all the old posts about shattenkirk and his awful +-, it would be a great read seeing as i was right on the money about him.
Yeah, I think you’re illustrating that difference pretty well here.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
It brings a tear to my eye every time I see a Sharks or Bruins fan still crying about getting legitimately beaten by the first Cup-winning Blues squad. The only thing better than winning the Cup finally is winning the Cup over two clubs who have been historically bugaboos for us, and having their fanbase be super salty about it. We all won't come down for a while, and they'll still be crying about it. What a time to be alive.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Our Game 7 performance was simply epic, and we made it look easy.

Had a feeling it was over after the second goal, but was still tense.

Reactions: CoMoBlues

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007

Reminds me of Kevin Slaten. Is that dude still around? I almost forgot about him...

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Our Game 7 performance was simply epic, and we made it look easy.

Had a feeling it was over after the second goal, but was still tense.
blues played like garbage for first 20mins of game 7. it was easily their worst effort in the 4 games at boston

they won that game because of their goaltender.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Reminds me of Kevin Slaten. Is that dude still around? I almost forgot about him...
ya slaten is still around but those sorts of people arnt "shock jocks". people have different opinions all the time, just because someone is opinionated doesnt make them a "shock jock" or troll etc. people like slaten just speak the truth in a brutally honest and upfront way.

not sure why people get so worked up about brutal honesty. its funny too because brett hull is beloved here and he was the exact same way as a player, same goes for roenick.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
ya slaten is still around but those sorts of people arnt "shock jocks". people have different opinions all the time, just because someone is opinionated doesnt make them a "shock jock" or troll etc. people like slaten just speak the truth in a brutally honest and upfront way.

not sure why people get so worked up about brutal honesty. its funny too because brett hull is beloved here and he was the exact same way as a player, same goes for roenick.

All I remember from Slaten was that you could pretty much know what his position was going to be if you had any inkling of where the majority of STL listeners position was going to lie. He was on the opposite side like 85+%.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

illininer

Apr 30, 2014
Illinois
All I remember from Slaten was that you could pretty much know what his position was going to be if you had any inkling of where the majority of STL listeners position was going to lie. He was on the opposite side like 85+%.

Yup. Then they'd have a call-in portion and it would just result in name-calling for whoever disagreed with him.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
CARPE DIEM
Goddamnit, I was going to post that exact phrase.

Who was it on sports radio in the 90's that said that? I wanna say TVD? Also wasn't it Bernies talk show? Or something.
That was Slaten's schtick phrase. It always sounded like CAR-PE diem! There was also "that's the worst thing I've ever seen / that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard" that he uttered in just about every show. And yes, as someone alluded to, anyone who called in to disagree with Kevin on anything was insulted and berated and interrupted and ultimately hung up on.

My all-time favorite story involving Kevin Slaten is when someone called in to Frank O. Pinion's show when Frank, Kevin, and Wendy Wiese were all at KTRS and Slaten and Wiese had a show together in the 9am slot. This person went off about all the things that were wrong with the station's programming and mentioned how much they hated Wendy and Gus and then hung up, and FOP and the gang busted up over Slaten being called Gus and it became a running joke for years after.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad