Pre-Game Talk: Series Discussion: Blues @ Jets

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Negative next morning-Sanford was absolutely terrible. I don't understand why Sanford still plays. You have Blais who can hit. You have Fabbri who has in the past shown to rise to the occasion in postseason play. MacEachern also has shown the ability to hit.

We're going to need physical play in this series. Sanford is a big guy but he doesn't bring it.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Under the radar in last night's game, I thought Schwartz looked good, making plays, and getting shots, one of which was off the post. I think it's only a matter of time until Schwartz, Tarasenko, and O'Reilly find the back of the net this series.
Absolutely, the way he darted in there and got that shot off. It was off his stick and off the post before the Jets even reacted.

Reactions: mk80

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Negative next morning-Sanford was absolutely terrible. I don't understand why Sanford still plays. You have Blais who can hit. You have Fabbri who has in the past shown to rise to the occasion in postseason play. MacEachern also has shown the ability to hit.

We're going to need physical play in this series. Sanford is a big guy but he doesn't bring it.
I dont understand either. I can see if Blais isnt exactly healthy. Fabbri, he still has that cloud over him with defensive lapses, but he looked good in the last 2 games.

Berube did leave the door open for him to get back in. He can be an impact player, especially on the 4th. He WRECKED the Hawks dmen in his series.

Reactions: ManyIdeas

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
What is the status of Blais and Mac? Berube said the other day everyone was on the ice for practice so I assume they are least able to practice, but has anyone heard any updates?

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010
Why do people keep wanting to force fabbri in the lineup? He does not pk and is not a bottom 6er. He had two ok games against terrible opponents, the last time he played a meaningful game he was absolutely terrible, he still needs a full summer and training camp to have a chance of being a fringe 3rd liner.

Blaise does bring some physicality but is made of glass, not sure he would make it through the first period of this series.

Mac, does not pk and blues dont need more hits we need balanced lines and Sanford provides that, besides that the jets are going to tire themselves out running him, so it's a win win!

Until we lose no reason to change what has worked, Sanford adds some pking ability and can hold the puck and take the punishment.

Reactions: tkenney65

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Some of my thoughts and takeaways from last night:

I would not consider the goalie interference in the first minute to be a dirty play. It was absolutely a penalty, but I don't think the intention was to plow through Binny. It looked to me like he was trying to cut between Binny and the net and committed to that path knowing that he would plow Binny if Binny attempted to cut of the path. Binny did the right thing and moved into his path and there was no time to stop. I view it similar to a defender in basketball taking a charge. Again, absolutely a penalty, but nothing I would call dirty.

Thomas was a disaster for about 40 minutes. I've never seen him so uneasy on his skates and he was fumbling the puck like crazy even when he had time and space. He seemed to find his game a bit in the 3rd, so I'm going to chalk it up to nerves.

The other side of that coin is that Maroon and Bozak might have been our best 2 forwards last night. Maroon was an absolute monster on the boards and Bozak probably should have had another goal. It is really promising that our 3rd line looked that good with Thomas being the worst out of the 3. That is a Cup-caliber 2nd line if Thomas plays like himself and Maroon/Bozak bring that effort consistently.

Binny played great. The arm/blocker save on Myers from the high slot in the 2nd was great. The glove save on the shorthanded 2-1/breakawy was a game saver and he read it perfectly. That's a very different game if we had gone down 2-0 on a shorty and he gave the shooter nothing. Unlike a lot of breakaway saves, Binny didn't get the benefit of the shooter not getting under the puck enough. A bar-down backhand probably would have beaten him, but there was good elevation on that. He had pretty much everything except an absolutely perfect shot covered. Huge save in the closing seconds and a good job sealing himself to the ice to prevent the rebound/hacks from dislodging the puck and dribbling through. I wouldn't say Binny stole this game, because I think the game was fairly even overall. But he was fantastic.

Laine reminds me of Kane from his first few years in the NHL. Kane is more consistent now, but he used to disappear for long stretches. He would look downright bad for almost an entire game, then have 2 good plays and suddenly he is the game's 1st star with a goal and assist. Laine didn't impress me much last night, but he beat Binny twice simply by having that amazing shot. One hit the post, the other was a goal. He has an ability to impact a game in flashes, which is something that concerns me. He is going to float around the perimeter, but he displayed last night that he can beat a goalie from there. Limiting his space around the edges of the slot needs to be a priority.

We struggled exiting our zone in the 1st period. Winnipeg does a really good job protecting the offensive blue line. Their D are very aggressive pinching and get away with it a ton because the forwards do a great job with back pressure of the puck carrier. We adjusted throughout the game and were beating it by the 3rd. The off side winger started doing a very good job getting to the middle and offering support to the puck carrier. We started having success beating their pinches when we were able to execute quick, short passes around the blue line. We will score some goals off the rush if we can beat that pinch as often as we did in the 2nd half of the game and this particular battle might determine the series.

Our PP zone entry is a raging tire fire. I didn't have too much issue with our PP setup and movement once we established possession in the zone. But that was the minority of our total PP time. This has been an issue all year and is baffling to me. The players away from the puck appear to think that just positioning themselves in the proper spot will open up space for the puck carrier and then we seem stunned when the puck carrier can't make a zone entry through 3-4 defenders plus a couple Blues clogging lanes at the blue line. You only create space for the puck carrier if you are positioned to receive a pass and remain in motion so that a defender has to actually follow you. I honestly don't understand how the zone entries are this bad. My ACHA D2 team had a better understanding of how to create space in the neutral zone when the puck is dropped to the D man. And that was a decade ago, before that play became the trend in zone entry strategy. The most frustrating thing about this is that we are so married to the trialing player carrying the puck across the blue that everyone is flat footed by the time that player has run out of options and has to chip it into the zone. So then we can't win the battle to the puck and it is an easy exit. We'd be better off playing a pure dump and chase at this point (which is not a strategy I'm in favor of). Unless this improves, we're going to need ROR to go about 75% at the faceoff dot on the PP in order to have anything close to a respectable PP%. IMO, this is the biggest issue in our overall game.

I didn't intend to end on a negative, because overall I was happy with our game last night. We are up 1-0 in what is supposed to be one of the hardest buildings to win a series opener. We overcame a 1st period deficit and won a game in which their goalie played very well. We successfully made a number of in-game adjustments to beat their defensive scheme that had been working very well and we generated scoring chances in a variety of ways. I woke up with a smile on my face.

Last edited:

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
Why do people keep wanting to force fabbri in the lineup? He does not pk and is not a bottom 6er. He had two ok games against terrible opponents, the last time he played a meaningful game he was absolutely terrible, he still needs a full summer and training camp to have a chance of being a fringe 3rd liner.

Blaise does bring some physicality but is made of glass, not sure he would make it through the first period of this series.

Mac, does not pk and blues dont need more hits we need balanced lines and Sanford provides that, besides that the jets are going to tire themselves out running him, so it's a win win!

Until we lose no reason to change what has worked, Sanford adds some pking ability and can hold the puck and take the punishment.

So then what are we losing if we add someone with speed and/or forechecking in place of Sanford? It looks like even the coaching staff wasn't happy.
SmartSelect_20190411-111801_Adblock Browser.jpg

Reactions: Klank Loves You

yogintheaveragebears

May 23, 2015
I’ve gotta stop following the game on twitter. After the first period I thought it was the worse period we’ve ever played with thus ya going to be a quick series and same old blues tweets. Granted we’re down one nothing but I go home and watch the game and it wasn’t an ideal first period but far from series over. I felt we played fine for our first game in a hostile environment. I didn’t really think we were put matched till the last three minutes of the period

Reactions: mk80

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I’ve gotta stop following the game on twitter. After the first period I thought it was the worse period we’ve ever played with thus ya going to be a quick series and same old blues tweets. Granted we’re down one nothing but I go home and watch the game and it wasn’t an ideal first period but far from series over. I felt we played fine for our first game in a hostile environment. I didn’t really think we were put matched till the last three minutes of the period
I don't care for following games on the internet while they are in process (whether I'm watching or not). However, if you are going to do that, twitter is probably the worst place to do it at.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
So then what are we losing if we add someone with speed and/or forechecking in place of Sanford? It looks like even the coaching staff wasn't happy.
View attachment 212515

I wonder how much was the Blues not being happy with Sanford vsthe Blues wanting to double shift guys who were playing well. I recall Tarasenko and Schwartz down with Barby and Steen. Maybe they just wanted to get those guys more minutes to hopefully get a goal, and Sanford as the 12th man was just first to get cut. I mean to my eyes, he was bad, but so was Thomas. Yet Thomas got the same minutes as Maroon and slightly more than Bozak.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I wonder how much was the Blues not being happy with Sanford vsthe Blues wanting to double shift guys who were playing well. I recall Tarasenko and Schwartz down with Barby and Steen. Maybe they just wanted to get those guys more minutes to hopefully get a goal, and Sanford as the 12th man was just first to get cut. I mean to my eyes, he was bad, but so was Thomas. Yet Thomas got the same minutes as Maroon and slightly more than Bozak.

I'd imagine it was a combination. Barby had just under 11 minutes at even strength and Steen had about 11:30 at even strength. Sanford had 6:30. That is a huge gap between your 12th forward and the other 2 guys on the 4th line. You don't sit your 12th forward down that much if you are happy with his play.

Reactions: Klank Loves You

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
It obviously doesn't exist now, but (in theory) shouldn't be too difficult to draft.

There would need to be a minimum length of time on the LTIR before a player qualifies for the exemption. The player would need to consent in writing and any player on a 2 way deal should receive his full NHL salary, per deim and other benefits package while assigned to the AHL. You could set a firm maximum length of time and the player would have an option to revoke his consent at any time, forcing the team to call him back up to the NHL. The player's full cap hit should count against the NHL teams cap to avoid burying bad contracts and the 2 sides could negotiate how the salaries of these players loaned impacts the players' share of HRR. I'd lean towards having it count against the player share of HRR since this exemption would be used to benefit a recovering player and the rule is structured to give the player pretty hefty control of the process.

It should be an easy negotiation, but 20 years of scorched Earth negotiation from the league has guaranteed that there is no such thing as an easy negotiation between the NHL and NHLPA.
It starts with having a competent head of the NHLPA that looks beyond the current whims of the players and gets them focused on the longer term. The players don't even really want someone competent leading them, so you know the rest isn't happening.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
My favorite thing about the NHL playoffs is the over-analyzation of every team / series.

Tampa will sweep CBJ.

Nahaville will easily beat Dallas.

Carolina stands no chance.

WPG is a better overall team.

Colorado wont beat Calgary.

I would bet that at least one unexpected series win (higher seed loses to a lower seed) happens. Every year there is a surprise winner of a series. Especially in the first round.
Welp, 3/3 on the "thats untrue" scale... so far anyways. Lets see how the other two fare tonight.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO

...I thought we were the better team in the 1st period. Not by much at all. Like 51% to 49% the better team.

Winnipeg did not outplay us in the first. They outhit us which made it look worse than it was.

Fans on Twitter still yearn for the old days of hockey. Bone crushing hits. That's not how games are won today.

The Blues stuck to a tight defensive game plan and didn't stray from it. The D and forwards gave the Jets little room to work with throughout the entire game.

There was one play in particular where Maroon, of all players, could have gone for a big hit along the wall in the defensive zone. However, he let up, got in the passing lane, and intercepted the pass and passed it back to a d-man behind the net to neutralize the threat.
Instead of going for the hit after Winnipeg would have made the pass, he intercepted the pass. THAT'S HOW YOU WIN! Not laying video game hits after the pass has gone to a wide open opponent for a quality shot.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
To people thinking Petro was taking unusual abuse last night, just remember this happens every single playoffs. The other teams try their best to hammer Petro and he never lets it effect his play.

Petro is great at realizing one thing: It's better to take the hit by falling to the ice rather than stand up and try to be an "manly" immovable object against an unstoppable force.

The hits on Petro look far worse than they really are. He knows how to take them. He also knows how to make a play and then take the hit.

We're lucky to have him.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Some of my thoughts and takeaways from last night:

I would not consider the goalie interference in the first minute to be a dirty play. It was absolutely a penalty, but I don't think the intention was to plow through Binny. It looked to me like he was trying to cut between Binny and the net and committed to that path knowing that he would plow Binny if Binny attempted to cut of the path. Binny did the right thing and moved into his path and there was no time to stop. I view it similar to a defender in basketball taking a charge. Again, absolutely a penalty, but nothing I would call dirty.

Thomas was a disaster for about 40 minutes. I've never seen him so uneasy on his skates and he was fumbling the puck like crazy even when he had time and space. He seemed to find his game a bit in the 3rd, so I'm going to chalk it up to nerves.

The other side of that coin is that Maroon and Bozak might have been our best 2 forwards last night. Maroon was an absolute monster on the boards and Bozak probably should have had another goal. It is really promising that our 3rd line looked that good with Thomas being the worst out of the 3. That is a Cup-caliber 2nd line if Thomas plays like himself and Maroon/Bozak bring that effort consistently.

Binny played great. The arm/blocker save on Myers from the high slot in the 2nd was great. The glove save on the shorthanded 2-1/breakawy was a game saver and he read it perfectly. That's a very different game if we had gone down 2-0 on a shorty and he gave the shooter nothing. Unlike a lot of breakaway saves, Binny didn't get the benefit of the shooter not getting under the puck enough. A bar-down backhand probably would have beaten him, but there was good elevation on that. He had pretty much everything except an absolutely perfect shot covered. Huge save in the closing seconds and a good job sealing himself to the ice to prevent the rebound/hacks from dislodging the puck and dribbling through. I wouldn't say Binny stole this game, because I think the game was fairly even overall. But he was fantastic.

Laine reminds me of Kane from his first few years in the NHL. Kane is more consistent now, but he used to disappear for long stretches. He would look downright bad for almost an entire game, then have 2 good plays and suddenly he is the game's 1st star with a goal and assist. Laine didn't impress me much last night, but he beat Binny twice simply by having that amazing shot. One hit the post, the other was a goal. He has an ability to impact a game in flashes, which is something that concerns me. He is going to float around the perimeter, but he displayed last night that he can beat a goalie from there. Limiting his space around the edges of the slot needs to be a priority.

We struggled exiting our zone in the 1st period. Winnipeg does a really good job protecting the offensive blue line. Their D are very aggressive pinching and get away with it a ton because the forwards do a great job with back pressure of the puck carrier. We adjusted throughout the game and were beating it by the 3rd. The off side winger started doing a very good job getting to the middle and offering support to the puck carrier. We started having success beating their pinches when we were able to execute quick, short passes around the blue line. We will score some goals off the rush if we can beat that pinch as often as we did in the 2nd half of the game and this particular battle might determine the series.

Our PP zone entry is a raging tire fire. I didn't have too much issue with our PP setup and movement once we established possession in the zone. But that was the minority of our total PP time. This has been an issue all year and is baffling to me. The players away from the puck appear to think that just positioning themselves in the proper spot will open up space for the puck carrier and then we seem stunned when the puck carrier can't make a zone entry through 3-4 defenders plus a couple Blues clogging lanes at the blue line. You only create space for the puck carrier if you are positioned to receive a pass and remain in motion so that a defender has to actually follow you. I honestly don't understand how the zone entries are this bad. My ACHA D2 team had a better understanding of how to create space in the neutral zone when the puck is dropped to the D man. And that was a decade ago, before that play became the trend in zone entry strategy. The most frustrating thing about this is that we are so married to the trialing player carrying the puck across the blue that everyone is flat footed by the time that player has run out of options and has to chip it into the zone. So then we can't win the battle to the puck and it is an easy exit. We'd be better off playing a pure dump and chase at this point (which is not a strategy I'm in favor of). Unless this improves, we're going to need ROR to go about 75% at the faceoff dot on the PP in order to have anything close to a respectable PP%. IMO, this is the biggest issue in our overall game.

I didn't intend to end on a negative, because overall I was happy with our game last night. We are up 1-0 in what is supposed to be one of the hardest buildings to win a series opener. We overcame a 1st period deficit and won a game in which their goalie played very well. We successfully made a number of in-game adjustments to beat their defensive scheme that had been working very well and we generated scoring chances in a variety of ways. I woke up with a smile on my face.

If I were to make a summary of our game, which is no longer necessary, I'd basically write this up. You hit all the big points, our breakouts and adapting in the third, Thomas being nervous through 2, Maroon/Bozak being our best guys at F, our PP being pretty bad, Binny playing great, etc. Like you, I noticed all these things during the game. I would add that we were really good at remaining disciplined. It's not a good idea to give this team a lot of PPs, and we were good about limiting them to just 1. I'd also say that it would be beneficial to up our physicality a tad. We were kinda getting man-handled through 2 periods, but I will say that it appeared to tire out the Jets more than us as the game went on.

Reactions: STLomacneko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad