Pre-Game Talk: Series Discussion: Blues @ Jets

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Well we know our opponent, and they are currently beating AZ 4-1, so the Blues will be opening on the road. Post any thoughts or predictions about the series in this thread as we wait for game 1.

A couple random thoughts from myself:

- Patrick Maroon is going to be a key player for us. Jets are a big team and he will be useful. If he can bang in some garbage goals and that line can continue dominating down low, that's gonna help a lot.

- Probably won't happen but if I was Berube I'd insert Blais for Sanford on the 4th line right away. Blais can get overrated here but I'm not putting him in for his skill. It's gonna be a physical series and we could use his energy laying the body on Winnipeg's d-men every chance he gets. I don't trust Sanford enough to stay in the lineup against this team. They're fast, and he still can make too slow of decisions with the puck.

ZigZagBluesFan

Sep 30, 2010
Even with the Jets getting home ice, I'm going with the recency bias and predicting Blues in 7, but this is going to be a rough, grind-it-out kind of series.

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
The opponent I wanted the least, of course we get them. Laine has been pretty bad the second half of the season but he always finds a way to torch us. This is going to be a heavy series, we're gonna need a huge performance from Binnington.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
This will be interesting. Going into Winnipeg will be tough, but if we can come out with a split in the first 2 games I think we'll be fine overall. I have been wishing we could have seen a game between the Blues and Jets all of the second half to see how they stacked up with the Blues playing actual hockey. I guess we'll get my wish come true now.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I’d like to see Tarasenko win the head to head battle with Laine. If that happens I think the Blues take the series.

Winnipeg can’t be thrilled to be facing the Blues either. Should be a great series.

I’ll be thrilled with any series win, but I want to win in 6.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
This was pretty much worst case scenario for me. Getting Winnipeg on the road Round 1. They have been limping to the finish but, are perhaps the most complete team in the conference. Gonna need big efforts from everyone especially and including Binnington, but I’ll be looking for big things from that Maroon-Bozak-Thomas line.

hullderko

Apr 21, 2015
Stay - out - of the - box. Jets have a propensity for penalties, but tons of weapons on the PP. They have given up a lot of third period leads late in the season, so it's never over until the last horn sounds.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I respect Winnipeg’s fans, amd their team. I can’t stand the Nashville arena behavior and I think their team is whiny embellishers. I’d just as soon not have to deal with that aggravation. Good luck to Dallas.

Arizona just cut it to 4-2. “So you’re saying there’s a chance!”

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Well we have war on our hands. I don't think there is any chance the Jets allow this slump to continue into the playoffs, they will crank it up for game 1. I truly think the lynch pin is going to be going to be the goal tending battle. The Jets have yet to face Binnington, hell we haven't faced them at all since our turnaround. If Binnington can keep it up under the big lights of the playoffs I think we can win this. I voted Blues in 6 on the main board.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Scores against the Jets this season were:
Jets W 5-1, Jets W 5-4 (OT), Jets W 8-4, Blues W 1-0 (bold are games with Berube as head coach)

We are a much different team than the one the Jets faced earlier this season. I think despite how bad we were it speaks volumes we took them to OT and shut them out. I'm confident in our ability to play with them, and nobody said the road to the Cup would be easy. The key is how we do in the first two games in the Peg.

Girth Butcher

Mar 15, 2014
St. Louis
I think we win if Binnington outperforms Hellebuyck. I think Winnipeg is bigger and faster, and has a little more depth and playoff experience. That said, we can overcome those deficiencies if we play in their end. My biggest worry is Laine getting on a roll and we can’t neutralize him, and hoping we get some secondary scoring.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
*Monday morning, Blues are hosting a team meeting in the video room*

Players whispering amongst themselves: "why is Thorbs here?"

*In walks the coaching staff*

Berube: Alright guys... I got nothing. THORBS, get up here. How do we stop Laine from scoring?

*Thorburn pulls up a powerpoint presentation on his former teammate*

Cotton McKnight

He left, get over it!
Feb 6, 2009
Siloam Springs
I respect Winnipeg’s fans, amd their team. I can’t stand the Nashville arena behavior and I think their team is whiny embellishers. I’d just as soon not have to deal with that aggravation. Good luck to Dallas.

I couldn't agree more.

I've been dreading the playoffs, I'm hoping I'm wrong, and the Blues go far. Really worried the wheels could come off.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I think this is over quick. As in, 5 tops. Win Game 1, and I think we can suck the life and will out off them. We come back home 0-2, I think it's like being down 0-3 because the Jets have reason and hope again and they'll play inspired.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I see 3 keys to this series:
1) Does Binnington turn into a pumpkin? It’s in the postseason that goalies really make a name for themselves. Halak still gets respect for stealing that series from Washington years ago. Will he feel increased pressure? I think winning game 1 would go a long way.

2) Which sniper is more deadly, Laine or Tarasenko. Vlad looks to be going into the series with more reason for confidence. He’s been looking sharp lately. If the Blues can get an edge here, I think the support scoring will tilt their way.

3) Does the physicality favor one side or the other? Byfuglien is a menace. I’d love to have that guy on my team. Do the Blues have the muscle to push through or will Winnipeg be able to wear them down? Can the Blues’ forecheck do some damage?

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
you cant really take much from the season series. both teams are very different now and ive watched the past few jets games this week and they look really bad. that said, blues have also looked somewhat bad with tons of shootouts and playing down to inferior team levels.

i personally dont think the jets will be the toughest test the blues will see in the west, i think that comes next round once dallas wins.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Don't have a good feeling about this one at all. They have a better roster than us, they just haven't played as well as they probably should and have been hit with some key injuries. My guess is Jets in 5 or 6. We couldn't beat the Jets when they were terrible and we were pushing for the President's Trophy. We're going to need Binnington to stand on his head for us to have a chance.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
Jets are a deep team this will be a tough series and will probably go 6 or 7 games, although I honestly think we can win this series. The Blues are also a deep team and are healthy and have been on fire lately, they got a good a shot as anybody. If nothing else it will be cool to see a Blues-Jets playoff match up since they've never met before in the playoffs. You know Steen is going to be pumped for this series.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
I don’t really see where this is a matchup problem for us, which is something I am hearing a lot, including from Rutherford. Winnipeg played us when we were down. Nashville caught us quite a few times at our best. I think it is really that simple. I’m sure they remember Laine ruminating on how easy it was for him to score his 5 goals. I would imagine that would be a little extra fuel to bring to the playoff fire.

In the last few months, Winnipeg has been scuffling the worst of any potential matchup. Yeah, some of that is the defensemen that will be playing now, but whether they will jump right in and be near 100% is an open question. Their PP is lethal, and Nashville’s sucks, and Winnipeg is going to play a physical series that is going to put a premium on special teams. Those are the down sides. However, I do like our PK & Winnipeg’s 5 on 5 play has not been good, at all, for a while now.

I’m not saying Winnipeg is a bad team, or that we are heavy favorites or anything. I would have liked to have been able to get Binny started on home ice. Thus far, it seems like he barely has a pulse, and that would suggest playoff road games won’t bother him, but playoffs are a whole other level, and I would have much preferred him to dip his toes in the water at home.

I didn’t have a ton of emotion invested in today. It was going to be a tough series no matter what. I think if the Blues play their A game, they will win, whether vs Winnipeg, Nashville, or Dallas.

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017

Appreciate it, and I think this is a 50/50 toss up. You guys have been playing some great hockey and I apologize for spamming your boards but I’m really excited for some quality hockey that this series will force out of both teams. May the better team advance!

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
This will be a great series and I definately wouldn't bet against the Blues.

The bright side of this matchup is the games are usually pretty great to watch.

Good (ish) luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->