Game Analysis: SERIES DISCUSSION: ADSF | Rangers vs. Canadiens Pt. 3 (MTL leads 2-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

94wasagoodyear

Jan 19, 2014
I'm worried because we have played pretty ****** at home this year. I dont know what it is but we are a different team at home.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I really wonder what Clendening is like behind the scenes that he has such a negative stigma around him. The guy is a really good 3rd pairing offensive defenseman. He's young and can still improve his game. I'm not fully confident he can he be a second pairing guy without some improvements in his skating and strength, but there's no reason that he can't be a 3rd pairing dman for most teams in the league. He's a good 2nd unit powerplay qb option too.

He's not an AV player. In my opinion, AV goes to big extremes when assessing players. I think to AV, Clendening turns the puck over, is out of position and gets trucked on every single shift, when that obviously doesn't happen. I really think thats the way he thinks though. The fact that Kampfer might be ahead of Clendening is absolutely crazy.

And I'm not even completely sure I'd play Clendening in this series, and I don't agree that he's a really good 3rd pairing defenseman. To me, he's maybe a #6D, maybe. If not, a good #7D. I'd be weary about playing him in the playoffs, but still, I'm not his biggest fan, and still realize that AV seems to be way over-critical of his defense. Its the same way AV is way too over-critical of Buch's defense, and thats an even more egregious situation, considering he's overall a much better player than Clendening at his position.

Once you fall into an AV stereotype, its really hard to break it.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Why hasn't this been true for his previous 4 organizations?

Who gives a ****? There's no rational argument against Clendo. None.

5v5 Points/60
Clendening: 1.25
Girardi: 0.59
Staal: 0.45

5v5 CF%
Clendening: 56.41%
Girardi: 44.06%
Staal: 46.91%

5v5 xGF%
Clendening: 54.83%
Girardi: 47.85%
Staal: 47.94%

5v5 GF%
Clendening: 52.94%
Girardi: 46.75%
Staal: 51.06%

We score more of the goals and shoot more of the shots when Clendo plays. End of story.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I just disagree with the notion that a coach coaches a good game in one game and then a bad game in the next game.

They all coach the same way every game and the difference between the way any coach coaches at all is so minute to be indistinguishable.

If there was such a thing as an appreciably better coach, he would always win. There is no such coach and the truth is that there is no way to form a consensus on who or who isn't a good coach.

Go to any fan forum here and I guarantee you that the bulk of the fans there think the coach is an idiot. It's as much of a constant as anything in mathematics and it means that as a whole, evaluations of coaches by fans are virtually worthless.

Personnel, health, and luck is what wins and it's always been that way. The coach has very little impact on the outcome, if any.

For the most part this is also true in all of the 4 major sports, especially baseball, where a manager has zero impact on results. Two noticeable exceptions are Bellichick in football, who is just better at it and Popovich in the NBA who has the ability to get millionaires to check their ego at the door.

Edit: The only time I have ever noticed coaching being a factor in hockey is when the Soviet Union first came and played here. They understood way before us that maintaining control of the puck was paramount.

I feel there are definitely individual decisions all throughout a game that a coach can absolutely screw up or nail which determine whether one game was coached better than another. He can also make pre-game roster decisions.

A lot of off ice stuff can also determine whether a next game is going to be coached better (Like devising plays in very specific situations to take advantage of something you're seeing on the ice the previous game). He also can be coaching guys up off the ice so that when they're out there they can take advantage of the opposition.

Otherwise any idiot with a pair of skates can go out there with a coaching handbook and just use a bunch of plays and win more games than everyone else. We just watched a game where the final decision on who to put out there with a minute left directly led to a game tying goal. The decisions preceding that moment ensured the team was out of synch and had to spend 10 minutes trying to get on the same page again.

That's definitely grounds for a good discussion but I just want to make it clear that it's not related to my initial point about how this guy has flaws and that it's stupid to do an "I told you so" absolving him of criticism after a one game sample.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Clendening's +'s greatly outweigh the -'s IMO. He should be in. When the heck was the last time he played anyway, not good having that long a gap.
Holden is just not viable.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
He's not an AV player. In my opinion, AV goes to big extremes when assessing players. I think to AV, Clendening turns the puck over, is out of position and gets trucked on every single shift, when that obviously doesn't happen. I really think thats the way he thinks though. The fact that Kampfer might be ahead of Clendening is absolutely crazy.

And I'm not even completely sure I'd play Clendening in this series, and I don't agree that he's a really good 3rd pairing defenseman. To me, he's maybe a #6D, maybe. If not, a good #7D. I'd be weary about playing him in the playoffs, but still, I'm not his biggest fan, and still realize that AV seems to be way over-critical of his defense. Its the same way AV is way too over-critical of Buch's defense, and thats an even more egregious situation, considering he's overall a much better player than Clendening at his position.

Once you fall into an AV stereotype, its really hard to break it.

If he leaves the Rangers, this will be the 5th team in 3 years that did not appreciate his greatness.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
If he leaves the Rangers, this will be the 5th team in 3 years that did not appreciate his greatness.

Context...

Nobody is saying Clendo is great, but he's most definitely outplayed Holden, Girardi and Klein this season. The fact that Kampfer (or however you spell it) is ahead of him on the depth chart is an absolute joke.

Also, he's 24, so it's not like he couldn't have developed somewhat from his first team.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

5v5 Points/60

5v5 CF%

5v5 xGF%

5v5 GF%

We score more of the goals and shoot more of the shots when Clendo plays. End of story.

If I had to guess, I think he has a bit of an attitude problem. And I think that's why he doesn't stick anywhere. You can call that irrational, but I think it's an issue. And it doesn't look like AV is the only coach to bury him on the depth chart, which was the entire point of my query.

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY

5v5 Points/60

5v5 CF%

5v5 xGF%

5v5 GF%

Thank you

THE BIG WHISTLE

Heave-Ho
Feb 16, 2012
By the beach
If I had to guess, I think he has a bit of an attitude problem. And I think that's why he doesn't stick anywhere. You can call that irrational, but I think it's an issue. And it doesn't look like AV is the only coach to bury him on the depth chart, which was the entire point of my query.

Didn't he ***** and moan about being scratched earlier in the season? You don't say those things publicly.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Didn't he ***** and moan about being scratched earlier in the season? You don't say those things publicly.

His comments went a bit beyond the packaged responses. Lots of people will tell you that doesn't matter one bit, but in the real world it does. Usually the only way that sort of stuff gets overlooked is if the player is very good, which Clendening is not.

THE BIG WHISTLE

Heave-Ho
Feb 16, 2012
By the beach
If I was constantly being benched for d-men that have played worse than me this season, then yeah, I'd probably do the same thing.

Clendo is in the right there.

Doesn't matter if your in the right. This is a team sport. He has attitude problems. Subban got traded away for attitude problems. This isn't neighborhood chatter this is the NHL. Your getting paid to be a professional.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
If I was constantly being benched for d-men that have played worse than me this season, then yeah, I'd probably do the same thing.

Clendo is in the right there.

yeah I know this isn't really the argument but wouldn't you be pissed if incompetent sacks of **** like Girardi could stink up the team with no punishment where your own coach is actively looking for reasons to discredit you ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad