Sergei Fedorov

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Fedorov could skate like the wind (he won the fastest skater competition at 13.525 s from a standing start in 1994, so faster than McDavid this year), had a cannon for a slapshot (he won the hardest shot competition in 2001 with a 101.5 mph slapshot), and had a sixth sense of what to do/where to go with or without the puck to go along with his considerable physical talent. Though his effort level fluctuated during the regular season at times throughout his career (which is by far the biggest criticism of his game) and his level dropped off after 2003, when he was in the mood he could take over a game like nobody's business and he always brought it in the playoffs (he is 15th all time in career playoff points).

Last edited:

Dexter Colt

Oct 29, 2007
Mendham, NJ
He was the best player of his time whenever he wanted to. In terms of raw talent, I'd say he's the greatest Red Wing of all time. The only knock on him was his motivation. One of the Red Wings' assistant coaches - I can't remember who anymore - in the late 90's said it best; something along the lines of "he is an important player when you make him feel like an important player."

To put it into perspective, he had all the tools Peter Forsberg had and arguably then some. Only maybe a bit behind in terms of playmaking. If he had had similar drive, he would have been incredible.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He was the best player of his time whenever he wanted to. In terms of raw talent, I'd say he's the greatest Red Wing of all time. The only knock on him was his motivation. One of the Red Wings' assistant coaches - I can't remember who anymore - in the late 90's said it best; something along the lines of "he is an important player when you make him feel like an important player."

To put it into perspective, he had all the tools Peter Forsberg had and arguably then some. Only maybe a bit behind in terms of playmaking. If he had had similar drive, he would have been incredible.

Is being a top 50 player in the history of the game not incredible?

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Sergei gets held to standards no other player ever would. If he had played a decade earlier, he would have had a Gretzky-esque career trajectory.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Meh, I don't understand the importance of the narrative that he was somehow a lazy player that phoned it in. It was kinda the same stigma that Franzen dealt with a lot too. Not every player has an inexhaustible motor and has to leave it all on the ice like a 4th liner or be sent down. He was 100% when it mattered and that is all that matters.

Fedorov also had a effortless glide to his skating style. He barely looked like he was pumping the tires but would still blow by people full speed and rip an open shot. I think some of it came from how effortlessly he skated as well. Ovechkin looks like he panics like a madman when he gets the puck, Fedorov took the puck in like another day at the office but was just as effective with the same result.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I think it was exactly like Franzen - not lazy, and probably floated less than you'd think. And you're right that he'd flip the switch when it mattered, for the most part. But at the same time, when a guy is that physically talented, it's hard to not wonder 'what if', with regards to his motor and desire.

I dunno. He was already a great player, and one of the greatest I've ever seen. But I can't help but think that if he'd really, really wanted to be the best player, he probably could have been. He just wasn't wired for that. And that doesn't take away at all from what he was, or what he accomplished.

Geki

Jul 2, 2003
Visit site
Remember when Bowman put him back on D for a stretch? He was actually a very good D man too. He played D the entire bloody Sunday game, and had a goal. Imagine putting your all-world scoring forward at D in today's game...

As someone who watched almost every game he played with the wings, it's hard to not criticize him for effort at times. There were nights you could just flat out see his head was not in the game. It's a long season, and he had a bit of primadonna going on at times which contributed. But when he was into it, he could flat out control a game.

Having said all that, he's easily one of the best forwards I've seen play. Honestly (and I'm old) he's one of the first players I remember being referred to as a '2 way player'.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Remember when Bowman put him back on D for a stretch? He was actually a very good D man too. He played D the entire bloody Sunday game, and had a goal. Imagine putting your all-world scoring forward at D in today's game...

Yep. I've always compared Erik Karlsson to Fedorov as a defenceman. Bad at net-front battles but dominates in posession.

As someone who watched almost every game he played with the wings, it's hard to not criticize him for effort at times. There were nights you could just flat out see his head was not in the game. It's a long season, and he had a bit of primadonna going on at times which contributed. But when he was into it, he could flat out control a game.

Agree with this too. With certain players, I've forgiven every single regular season off-night, if a player steps up at the playoff-time. And Sergei did that always. Playoff-effort only really matters in big picture for me personally.

Having said all that, he's easily one of the best forwards I've seen play. Honestly (and I'm old) he's one of the first players I remember being referred to as a '2 way player'.

He played like modern and last generation Sovjet center was systematically developed to play.

They did it first, and whole NHL copied that later, because Bowman was enough smart to notice first, that this is the most winning way to use Centers. He pushed Yzerman in the same mold what Fedorov was.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I think it was exactly like Franzen - not lazy, and probably floated less than you'd think. And you're right that he'd flip the switch when it mattered, for the most part. But at the same time, when a guy is that physically talented, it's hard to not wonder 'what if', with regards to his motor and desire.

I dunno. He was already a great player, and one of the greatest I've ever seen. But I can't help but think that if he'd really, really wanted to be the best player, he probably could have been. He just wasn't wired for that. And that doesn't take away at all from what he was, or what he accomplished.

I think that gets to the heart of it. Overall I think Fedorov got more grief than he deserved for taking nights off. But as a fan you couldn't help but wonder what it would be like if Fedorov had the same will to win as Yzerman.

stu the grim reaper

Jul 3, 2002
I think that gets to the heart of it. Overall I think Fedorov got more grief than he deserved for taking nights off. But as a fan you couldn't help but wonder what it would be like if Fedorov had the same will to win as Yzerman.

if fedorov had the will of yzerman, he would be Crosby, and you would hate him for being so unrelatable

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
The complicating factor in regard to Fedorov’s legacy is that he didn’t spend his entire career with the Wings. He signed with the Ducks after the 2002-03 season and played out his time in the NHL with the Blue Jackets and the Capitals. He also inked an offer sheet with the Hurricanes in 1997 and missed a large chunk of the ensuing season until Detroit matched the offer.
Of the 7 retired numbers, only 3 played for the Wings their entire career (19,05, and 10.)

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
I am too young to have seen him play. What type of impact did he have on the ice?

Was he better than Yzerman?

Would he be a top-player in todays NHL if in prime?

103013_fedorov.jpg

He was better than Yzerman, but lacked the longevity.

Top 5 player from 1993-1997.

He was never quite as dominant after his 1997-98 holdout season. I feel like he missed out on some hardware due to sitting out that season. Could have won another Selke or Conn smythe that year if he still had his pre-holdout timing and sharpness.

Also could have had a greater career if he left Detroit in his prime. Playing for Bowman's defensive system/team, where he regularly either played 17mins a night or dressed as a Dman held him back while guys like Bure were playing 28 minutes a night. It's no surprise that Fedorov's best season came when Yzerman was out and he received his just due in icetime.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!

He wasn't going to get that chacne playing under Bowman. He was getting 17 minutes a night in the 97 season, despite being Detroit's top scoring C three years in a row. And when Holland traded for Shanahan that season |(who was a top 10 forward at that time), Bowman wanted to spread the offence and put Shanahan with Yzerman instead of Fedorov (despite breaking up the Russian 5 as well).

If he went to Philly and got to play with Lclaire or to Vancouver to play with Mogilny/Bure he would have won a lot more personal hardware, but it is what it is.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005

I feel like that's the point though. Fedorov had his own unique set of circumstances that he was dealing with. If you put Yzerman's fire on top of that the guy'd be dead or in jail.

My impression of 'what Sergei got out of what he had'(as if he wasn't the one that put the effort into building his physique and skill set) is the opposite of the consensus.

I marvel at the fact that he was as successful as he was, based on his background, personality and the circumstance he was in and the expectations placed on him. He should absolutely be commended for his commitment and resilience not questioned on it.

stu the grim reaper

Jul 3, 2002
I feel like that's the point though. Fedorov had his own unique set of circumstances that he was dealing with. If you put Yzerman's fire on top of that the guy'd be dead or in jail.

My impression of 'what Sergei got out of what he had'(as if he wasn't the one that put the effort into building his physique and skill set) is the opposite of the consensus.

I marvel at the fact that he was as successful as he was, based on his background, personality and the circumstance he was in and the expectations placed on him. He should absolutely be commended for his commitment and resilience not questioned on it.

this is all extremely true. all the Russians of his generation had a complicated relationship with their country of origin, and we should laud them for even making the journey to the NHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad