Sergei Fedorov

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I am too young to have seen him play. What type of impact did he have on the ice?

Was he better than Yzerman?

Would he be a top-player in todays NHL if in prime?

103013_fedorov.jpg

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I am too young to have seen him play. What type of impact did he have on the ice?

103013_fedorov.jpg

He was better than Yzerman for a couple of seasons that's for sure. Fedorov was basically the best player in the world in 94 winning both a Hart and Selke which has never been done before or since. If mid 90's peak Fedorov was playing today, he's certainly be among the very best. Fedorov fell off youngish though, especially after he left Detroit. He seasons in Anaheim and Columbus weren't anything super special.

Fedorov was extremely dynamic though. Clear it factor. Fast as hell, cerebral, and defensively responsible. He's probably a top 100 player of all time.

Career wise, he wasn't as good as Yzerman, but Fedorov was instrumental to three Stanley Cups.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

103013_fedorov.jpg

He had all the tools to be better than Yzerman , but he wasn't . I think him and Yzerman in today hockey could win for Detroit . I would like to see Pronger in todays hockey . I bet he will dominate just like he did in his prime

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
In his prime he would be behind only mcdavid at worst. I'd say better because he could play Norris like and still score 100 points

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
He was one of the most complete players you could see play the game. He was at times the fastest skater in the game, he was also a beautiful skater. Watching him and Paul Coffey skate sometimes on the same shift is like feeling I witnessed poetry on the ice. He was physically dominant and could take over a game to the point where he was unstoppable. He had all the shots, wrister, backhand, and a slapshot that goalies feared. His speed, physical abilities, and hockey IQ made him one of the best defensive forwards of all time. In today's hockey think of combining the backchecking of Patrice Bergeron and skate through you power of Alex Overchkin in one player. Had he continued to play defense for a few seasons he would have won a Norris trophy.

He was also part of the Russian 5 which was a once in a lifetime treat to have seen in action. One can not exaggerate how dominant that five man unit was. There was simply no answer for it and that shows by the wings setting the regular seasons win record. To visualize imagine 5 Sedins playing together.

The only real missing part of his game was fighting or intimidation, He was no shanahan or iginla in that respect, but I have to say that was the only thing. He probably could have played goal too.

Sometimes went down and seemed to act a little more hurt than you thought we was, and at times you felt like he phoned it in a game here and a game there Kovalev style. His play style lead to a lot of turnovers too IMO, he had great hands but not at full speed and a lot of times would loose the puck after gaining the zone trying to evade defense. His off ice life has always been drama, and his career really derailed after leaving Detroit. On the flip side he was absolutely clutch being one of the best playoff performers off all time and always having a boatload of GWG. He was the true definition of a game breaker.

Yzerman certainly had a better and more storied career and should be ranked above Fedorov on almost any list. But if you saw Fedorov at his best you saw one of the most dominant players to ever hit the ice. He would be a consistent top 5 player in today's game in his prime. His game was actually built better for today's hockey.

He was always factor his entire career as illustrated by being the oldest player to score a game 7 GWG.

Definitely watch some highlights or even see if you can get a few full games to watch from his earlier 90's days.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Easily the best player of that period of time. He could do anything he wanted to, on the ice. Very few players possess his level of speed, agility, creativity, and mental acuity. Most of the best players had to work hard in other areas because they lack one or more of these skills. Fedorov could play anywhere on the ice and be the best in the league at it.

We really need to get his name hung in the rafters of the new arena. Would love to see that happen on Opening Night at Little Caesar's.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Fedorov was one of the most diverse players to ever play the game. That brought about the Bowman's usage of him (and Yzerman), where he was handed more defensive responsibilities than a thoroughbred center normally does. The system worked, and Detroit won three Cups against other powerhouses of the era, but his personal statistics suffered. OTOH Fedorov was never the sniper that Bure or Kovalev were. He just didn't have the finish. Sure, he scored 56 goals once, but he never came close to it again. He was great at everything, without being the GOAT at any one department (although his two-way play is probably in Top 5 of all time).

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

[/QUOTE]

Amazing impact. Basically, he's a more consistent prime Johan Franzen. Would have games where he was literally unstoppable but his down games were still above average. That's why he infuriated people so much. He could be so dominant that nobody could touch him in one game and then you'd wonder where it was at in another game. His coasting was still better than 3/4ths of the team though.

Even though it's anecdotal, Fedorov and Yzerman were the only two Wings that I saw get a step on someone and I'd know it was gonna end up in the net.

When I watched (really, starting in 93-94 at 10 years old), yes. I didn't see prime Yzerman live, but in highlights, prime Yzerman was a better player than prime Fedorov.

And I agree. Sergei Fedorov in his prime with 2010s training and nutrition and all that? Second only to McDavid and that's only because I don't know if I've ever seen a player make moves with the puck at top speed like McDavid does and that not be his only trick. McDavid is an all-around player who just holds onto the puck and does things at full bore. Fedorov did everything, but he'd get loose at top speed.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I got to watch him as a child and just remember that I idolized him. I'd call myself Sergei at the local skating hole. He truly was a phenomenal talent, one of the best all around hockey players to ever lace them up - just wish I was a little older so i could've fully appreciated his talents.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I don't know that I've ever seen anyone with more pure talent play hockey.

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
I don't know that I've ever seen anyone with more pure talent play hockey.

Lemieux has to be up there on that.

Fedorov was a stud. I don't think he would have derailed as much as he did had he stayed here in the D.

I think Lidstrom said one time that if Fedorov were a D man that he would have won more Norris trophies than him. Carries some weight coming from arguably one of the top 3 D-man of all time.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016

Obviously he was an incredible player, but I always felt like Fedorov's body with just about anyone else's "heart" would've been the best player ever. I dunno, maybe my glasses were a bit too red, but I'd always felt like if he'd really, really wanted it, he could've been in a legit GOAT discussion.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010

Fedorov was a stud. I don't think he would have derailed as much as he did had he stayed here in the D.

I think Lidstrom said one time that if Fedorov were a D man that he would have won more Norris trophies than him. Carries some weight coming from arguably one of the top 3 D-man of all time.

I agree with that, I think Fedorov coming from the oppressive red army situation took the Illich family atmosphere and Hockey town fandom for granted. He was trying to make up for lost time and live it up in California or New York with the rock star girl friend. He had no idea other franchises would not cater to him nor be in cities that even had large hungry fan bases. I think all that stuff including his off ice relationships took its toll on his psyche. Heck even in retirement he was in the news for his financial planner basically stealing all of his fortune. The man went through a whirlwind of off ice BS.

You gotta have some balls to defect in the middle of the night form mother russia so in no way was fedorov weak minded. But I don't think his mind and heart were 100% hockey like some players. He had pure natural talent and the discipline to reach it, but I think he had other interests in life. I remember at one time he considered leaving hockey to play soccer for example. You just don't see that kind of distraction in GOAT players. He did have the tools to push for GOAT. He will always be my GOAT.

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
Obviously he was an incredible player, but I always felt like Fedorov's body with just about anyone else's "heart" would've been the best player ever. I dunno, maybe my glasses were a bit too red, but I'd always felt like if he'd really, really wanted it, he could've been in a legit GOAT discussion.

Lemieux was 6'4".

I'm one of the biggest Fedorov fans you will ever meet. I believe and will argue with you until we are both red in the face that 91 should be in the rafters at JLA and now soon to be LCA.

I will agree with you though had he showed up every night 100% he would most likely be in that goat discussion, but don't know if he would have been able to argue the Gretzky, Lemiuex, Orr's of hockey. Hell, even Yzerman before his injuries had multiple big point seasons where if Gretzky and Lemieux weren't around he would have had a bigger personal trophy show case.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Lee Majors would have been jealous of Fed's physical gifts. For a guy to have his combination of size, skating, shot, etc., I'm not sure there's a comparison. Maybe Orr, who wasn't a small guy - especially for his time. He was never as productive as he should have been, though.

This might sound strange, but what still stands out for me was that Fedorov could also be a surprisingly nasty guy to play against. You didn't see that side from him very often, usually it meant someone was taking liberties on the other side, but when he wanted to he could be a devastating checker. He could get on top of a guy so fast, and Feds wasn't a small guy, so he could absolutely paste a guy when he put his mind to it. If he had been willing to play like that more often, he would have been a far more effective, and far more hated, guy in the NHL.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Yeah I remember that too. He had GOAT skill but he didn't have that 'all in - all the time' quality on the grit side. Not that he didn't check or wasn't effective but it wasn't an element in his game in the way it was with someone like say Shanahan. He was a player that could get gritty and was still effective when the game went that way but he was not a gritty player. He didn't play with a motor but at the same time he didn't need to and when he turned it on no one could beat him.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
i always remembered Federov (and Lidstrom) as maybe the two of the most effortlessly great players in the game. Both guys looked like it was just a walk in the park at times.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
was he physical (throwing checks) ?

No, unless he was motivated. As I said, it was a part of his game you didn't see very often but he could bring that part of his game when he wanted to. He was not like Forsberg who was pretty rough and tumble every game.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Yzerman and Fedorov would be top 10 in the world if they were to play right now. The 90's, when they thrived, were not an easy time to play compared to today. Half the teams played trap with hooking, holding and interference being the bread and butter of that playstyle along with the red line in effect cutting the ice in two.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
He's already been described thoroughly, but I'll throw in my experience of watching him as he was my favorite player ever until Datsyuk came along.

First off, he had such swag to him. And I'll get to that more in a minute...

His skating has been mentioned and should probably be the first thing mentioned when talking about him. He was fast and explosive, but also powerful. So it wasn't just like he was a small speedster who could get easily pushed off balance. He could also power through guys and get anywhere on the ice. Basically a perfect skater who was visually stunning to watch. When you were at the Joe watching him during his peak/prime, the crowd would literally begin to rise from their seats when he'd gather the puck in the neutral zone and attack because you felt like he was going to create something.

That last point brings me to the next point. He was basically an automatic zone entry. He was too fast, too skilled, and too strong on the puck for teams to regularly stop him on the entry.

His shot was a rocket. He could and did play the point on the PP and could beat goalies from the blueliner with his slapper. He could also score from the circles with his wrist shot. His most common move though was attacking from the right side of the ice with speed and then cutting in on the defencemen. They knew it was coming, but it still always felt dangerous.

Defensively, he was positionally sound, but his best asset again came back to the fact that he could skate like the wind. When you add flawless skating onto a defensive mind with a great poke and sweep check, good luck.

So when you put it all together he was essentially a perfect hockey player at his best. He had all of the tools and in baseball terms he was a 5 tool player.

As I mentioned early, swag. So now that you know he was fast, powerful, and skilled, imagine it all with a sick head of hair flowing out of his helmet, a blue undershirt, and some sweet Nike gear. He was the man on and off the ice, where he dated high profile babes and drove Ferraris.

So with all of that being said, you can see why it's somewhat frustrating that he didn't dominate more. His 94-96 seasons should have been closer to the norm. Only having two Top 10 point finishes is - truthfully - disappointing given his skillset. And even as his biggest fan during his Detroit tenure, I can admit that there were times where I didn't understand why he wasn't more consistent at that peak level. Because even though he never had seasons quite like 94 or 96, he would still have individual games and stretches where he was just as good and looked like the best player on the planet. But more often than we'd like to admit, he'd go stretches where he would have minimal offensive impact.

To close it all up, I'm glad that somebody mentioned the Russian 5. They were truly poetry on ice and looked like they were playing a different game from everybody else. 5 Sedins was a good way to put it with their chemistry and cohesiveness. Those were the days.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
While Datsyuk was fun to watch...Fedorov was flat out electrifying. He was definitely my favorite player until he flirted with leaving for Carolina.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad