Sergei Fedorov

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
These two quotes regarding Fedorov pretty much sum it up:

Steve Yzerman: "I’ve only seen two other players that can dominate a game like Sergei, and that’s Wayne and Mario… in my opinion, he’s the best player in the League. He is different than Wayne and Mario because he dominates with his speed, and unbelievable one-on-one moves.”

Wayne Gretzky: "I have never seen a player dominate the game the way Sergei did."

stu the grim reaper

Jul 3, 2002
fedorov could change the entire tempo of the game by changing his own personal tempo and effort. he could just decide to win the puck back from anyone, and he could just decide to blow by everyone else. he could just decide to win a puck race.

he would use all of his teammates, making everyone on the ice dangerous to get scary wide open and score. he could link passes together that were so wild and intuitive and exciting that it made the whole team buy in to its own potential. he created a lot of goals on wide open nets because the goalie was so far out of position.

he was also just good at everything, so he was like an all-world swiss army knife

stu the grim reaper

Jul 3, 2002
was he physical (throwing checks) ?

I remember sometime in the late 90s or early 2000s he got angry and malicious for just a flash in one game and skated in hard from the blueline and rode some random roster player from the other team into the endboards, both standing up, both shoulder to shoulder, and it made the entire end boards shake and gave the guy a mild concussion

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
was he physical (throwing checks) ?

I remember one check from him. He came flying in from the blue line, left his feet and crushed the defensman moving the puck behind the net. I've been looking for a video of it but have not found it on the net yet.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
I remember sometime in the late 90s or early 2000s he got angry and malicious for just a flash in one game and skated in hard from the blueline and rode some random roster player from the other team into the endboards, both standing up, both shoulder to shoulder, and it made the entire end boards shake and gave the guy a mild concussion

Posted my comment before seeing this post at the end. This may be the hit I was talking about. Poor guy was dead after the hit

Fynn

Apr 23, 2017
The problem with Sergei is he had all the talent in the world, but you never knew when it would be on display. One day, he'd be so dominant you couldn't believe your eyes, the next game you wondered why Sergei wasn't in the lineup, then realized he was, but was totally invisible. More than a few players and coaches have mentioned this.

Fynn

Apr 23, 2017
He's already been described thoroughly, but I'll throw in my experience of watching him as he was my favorite player ever until Datsyuk came along.

First off, he had such swag to him. And I'll get to that more in a minute...

His skating has been mentioned and should probably be the first thing mentioned when talking about him. He was fast and explosive, but also powerful. So it wasn't just like he was a small speedster who could get easily pushed off balance. He could also power through guys and get anywhere on the ice. Basically a perfect skater who was visually stunning to watch. When you were at the Joe watching him during his peak/prime, the crowd would literally begin to rise from their seats when he'd gather the puck in the neutral zone and attack because you felt like he was going to create something.

That last point brings me to the next point. He was basically an automatic zone entry. He was too fast, too skilled, and too strong on the puck for teams to regularly stop him on the entry.

His shot was a rocket. He could and did play the point on the PP and could beat goalies from the blueliner with his slapper. He could also score from the circles with his wrist shot. His most common move though was attacking from the right side of the ice with speed and then cutting in on the defencemen. They knew it was coming, but it still always felt dangerous.

Defensively, he was positionally sound, but his best asset again came back to the fact that he could skate like the wind. When you add flawless skating onto a defensive mind with a great poke and sweep check, good luck.

So when you put it all together he was essentially a perfect hockey player at his best. He had all of the tools and in baseball terms he was a 5 tool player.

As I mentioned early, swag. So now that you know he was fast, powerful, and skilled, imagine it all with a sick head of hair flowing out of his helmet, a blue undershirt, and some sweet Nike gear. He was the man on and off the ice, where he dated high profile babes and drove Ferraris.

So with all of that being said, you can see why it's somewhat frustrating that he didn't dominate more. His 94-96 seasons should have been closer to the norm. Only having two Top 10 point finishes is - truthfully - disappointing given his skillset. And even as his biggest fan during his Detroit tenure, I can admit that there were times where I didn't understand why he wasn't more consistent at that peak level. Because even though he never had seasons quite like 94 or 96, he would still have individual games and stretches where he was just as good and looked like the best player on the planet. But more often than we'd like to admit, he'd go stretches where he would have minimal offensive impact.

To close it all up, I'm glad that somebody mentioned the Russian 5. They were truly poetry on ice and looked like they were playing a different game from everybody else. 5 Sedins was a good way to put it with their chemistry and cohesiveness. Those were the days.

He was a DB who dated a girl barely out of middle school. Creepy AF. If he had done that in this day and age, he'd have been run out of town. Then he was dumped by her and Scotty had to give him time off so he could beg her to take him back. Not quite "the man". His generally weird personality doesn't help his cause any. Spare me the "he was Russian" excuse. Plenty of Russian players, including all the others on the Red Wings didn't have the same issue.

tsbilly

May 20, 2012
Sergei won the hardest shot competition at the All Star game one year and won the fastest skater another year. He was an absolute stud and would be amazing in the current era, in the past, or 100 years from now.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
I'd like to balance out some of the comments on his heart or whatever. I think Federov as a competitor and teammate has always been underrated. He played for the same organization for 13 years and finished top 10 in selke voting 9 times.

He was known for stepping his game up in the 90's era playoffs.

I don't feel like he cheated himself or the team at any point, though I think it was obviously a complex situation at times. How many players with his talent would accept a non leadership second line role for 13 years?

I don't critisize Sergei for not always scoring 80+ in the same way I'd never critisize Yzerman for not always playing 82. The idea that Federov should've/could've somehow been more than he was is seriously flawed and unrealistic.

I think the only reason people think it's a valid argument is because the argument has been made before, so where there's smoke there's fire right? But go back and see where that smoke is coming from, and I think you'll find it's not Steve or Scotty, but more like nationialistic members of North American media.

Again, not that he wasn't a bit of a personality situation sometimes, but there are plenty of other athletes through history where the only note on that is "that's part of what made them so great." Sergei's one of the best Red Wings of all time.

For the younger posters, I would point out that in the 90's, the center positon had a bigger impact on the pace of play than it does now. The impact of Fedorov was more at the Karlsson/Hedmen level than the Kesler/Johansson level.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'd like to balance out some of the comments on his heart or whatever. I think Federov as a competitor and teammate has always been underrated. He played for the same organization for 13 years and finished top 10 in selke voting 9 times.

He was known for stepping his game up in the 90's era playoffs.

But go back and see where that smoke is coming from, and I think you'll find it's not Steve or Scotty, but more like nationialistic members of North American media.

For the younger posters, I would point out that in the 90's, the center positon had a bigger impact on the pace of play than it does now. The impact of Fedorov was more at the Karlsson/Hedmen level than the Kesler/Johansson level.

Absolutely great post. I can underline everything you did wrote.

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
These two quotes regarding Fedorov pretty much sum it up:

Steve Yzerman: "I’ve only seen two other players that can dominate a game like Sergei, and that’s Wayne and Mario… in my opinion, he’s the best player in the League. He is different than Wayne and Mario because he dominates with his speed, and unbelievable one-on-one moves.â€

Wayne Gretzky: "I have never seen a player dominate the game the way Sergei did."

To be fair, if Gretzky was asked about Glendening he'd go on to say how much of a more complete centerman Luke is compared to how he ever was :laugh:

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
The problem with Sergei is he had all the talent in the world, but you never knew when it would be on display. One day, he'd be so dominant you couldn't believe your eyes, the next game you wondered why Sergei wasn't in the lineup, then realized he was, but was totally invisible. More than a few players and coaches have mentioned this.

Pretty much this, for me. When he dialed it in he would put on a clinic. It seemed like he was everywhere on the ice. There have been few players in the history of the game that could be thrown into any critical situation and thrive like Feds did.

The only other player that really stood out with his play in the same manner, that I saw live, was Super Mario.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I don't know how people can act offended by the idea that Fedorov could have been better/more consistent.

He was my favorite player from that era by a country mile, but there were absolutely stretches that were frustrating as hell.

Two Top 10 pt finishes with his skillset?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't know how people can act offended by the idea that Fedorov could have been better/more consistent.

He was my favorite player from that era by a country mile, but there were absolutely stretches that were frustrating as hell.

Two Top 10 pt finishes with his skillset?

I think it became a run away narrative that isn't very accurate especially in his stay in Detroit. Did he go through rough stretches? Sure so did every player in hockey aside from really the Mount Rushmore of hockey.

Fedorov and Sakic are the only players with four consecutive 20 point playoff runs. He is the NHL all-time leader in Overtime points. He was great and consistently great when we need him to be. Really Vernon's Smythe should be sitting on his mantle in my opinion.

The idea that Fedorov didn't give us enough effort night in and night out is as bad as the Yzerman isn't a good leader stuff that was trumpeted about Yzerman through the mid-90s. I.E. in my opinion it was wrong and has always been wrong. Even when he wasn't scoring he was always great defensively which is huge. He played within the team concept so his numbers aren't quite as important there especially given his assignment most nights was the other teams #1 guy. I mean I don't understand using that argument with Datsyuk (who actually gave that matchup to Z alot more than Fedorov did) who went cold for longer stretches, bigger moments but somehow it is used all the time with Fedorov who was flat out better night in and night out as well in my opinion.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
It's not a runaway narrative. It's straight up a fact that he had 2 Top 10 pt finishes.

We can't talk about him being the most talented player we've ever seen: an amazing skater, rocket shot, etc and then go on to explain 2 Top 10 pt finishes with, well he gave us all he could.

The 4 straight 20 pt postseasons are very impressive, but at the same time trivial from the standpoint that he was on the most talented team in the league (in the non cap era) and thus had opportunities to play deep into the playoffs more often than most. Even during the Cup runs, he'd have stretches where he was quiet. The difference is that he had a team around him where he could have a quiet series and still end up playing in the next round. Stars on some teams literally couldn't afford to have a quiet series because if they did they've be golfing during the next round. That's not a knock on Fedorov or any players on talented, deep teams. That's just a reality of different situations.

Zetterberg has as many Top 10 point finishes and let's face it - Zetterberg and most players for the matter could only dream of having the physical talent that Fedorov was blessed with. So why is that?

I think talking about the system, bringing up the playoffs, and saying that he always played good defense are just excuses instead of just coming out and saying, "you know what, Fedorov probably could have had better numbers."

I don't know how we can gush about his abilities and then say hush, hush on his numbers. I don't think you can have it both ways. Yet it's like taboo around here.

And again, this was my favorite athlete in the world during his time here. I had his jerseys (that's right, plural) and his Nike roller blades. And I'm not one of the ones who was mad at him for leaving. I was hoping he'd win the Art Ross in Anaheim when he left.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Federov could have had many more points if Bowman had let him run and gun. That would have been waste of his talents. He was much more valuable buying into a defensive system than being a mere scoring machine, ala Bure. For that matter, I'm pretty sure Stevey Y could have put up more points as well if he eschewed defence.

To use yet another Russian of the era as an example; Alex Mogilny was much more effective under Pat Burns when he gained awareness of his own zone rather than putting up gaudy numbers that invariably got his teams nowhere.

minitrucker83

Apr 2, 2012
He was a DB who dated a girl barely out of middle school. Creepy AF. If he had done that in this day and age, he'd have been run out of town. Then he was dumped by her and Scotty had to give him time off so he could beg her to take him back.
Are you referring to Anna Kournikova? If so I think you are making it sound slightly worse than it was. Yeah, leaving the team to solve a relationship problem doesn't look the greatest and she was young but definitely not middle school age. I assume you're from somewhere in North America but something a lot of people don't take into consideration is things are quite a bit different overseas. Age of consent and early marriage in most the world is far different than what we are use to in Canada and the US.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Ironically Dats is the closest comparable you'll get. Prime Fedorov would be better than 99% of the players in the league right now. He could outskate then, out shoot them and oh yeah wins Selkes on offense and play defense when needed...He is the most massively undervalued player of all time. People harp on what Lindros would have been...Fedorov was Bergeron and McDavid's spawn for the modern day folks.

Watching him play was a pleasure. The way he could dominate on either end or with his speed kept everyone from both teams on their seats.

P.S I'm not a Red Wings fan.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Ironically Dats is the closest comparable you'll get. Prime Fedorov would be better than 99% of the players in the league right now. He could outskate then, out shoot them and oh yeah wins Selkes on offense and play defense when needed...He is the most massively undervalued player of all time. People harp on what Lindros would have been...Fedorov was Bergeron and McDavid's spawn for the modern day folks.

Watching him play was a pleasure. The way he could dominate on either end or with his speed kept everyone from both teams on their seats.

What do you mean with "what lindros would have been"?

From 92/93 to 00/01 Lindros had 659 points in 486 games. Thats 1.36 in PPG. Lindros had higher PPG than players like Sakic, Forsberg, Sundin, Selänne, Kariya etc. In fact only Mario and Jagr had higher PPG. And outside of his points Lindros brought a bonehard physical game, elite defence-skills and he was one of the strongest player that have ever played in NHL.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I think some of the fan bitterness of him leaving town enhanced his criticism. He wasn't a factor in some games just like any player is not a factor in some games. I think there was a bit more of a microscope on him than was warranted given his tool box. Let's also keep in mind that the season immediately after his peak was a half season due to the contractual dispute. That's a big chuck numbers wise out of his career. Its not like the team was loosing because he was't grinding it like a 4th liner every game. His playoff record speaks for itself on his importance to the team.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Fedorov definitely carries baggage that dates back to his attempt to run to Carolina, but I think his work in the playoffs works against him a bit, too. I mean, this is a guy who when the playoffs came around he would find a different level and be a beast. People are going to look at that, think of the rumored head butting with Bowman over his effort level, the off-ice stuff, etc. and people are going to say, "what more could he have accomplished?"

For as tremendously gifted that he was, he left you wanting more.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007

Fedorov and Datsyuk were both Russian centers, all time great 2-way forwards, Red Wings, Cup winners, and electrifying... But their games were so much different. Datsyuk's game was probably closer to Larionov's stylistically, although we never got to see Larionov at his best in Detroit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad