Sergei Bobrovsky

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Thats why you dont offer your cornerstone bridge contracts. Rookie mistake by our GM. Its going to cost us big time to sign him and Johansen. I understand the Mason situation, but the difference was that Mason had no track record at all. He wasnt the first, and wont be the last goalie to come in his rookie year and catch everyone by surprise. Bob had at least a year or so before he came over, so he wasnt a complete unknown

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Thats why you dont offer your cornerstone bridge contracts. Rookie mistake by our GM. Its going to cost us big time to sign him and Johansen. I understand the Mason situation, but the difference was that Mason had no track record at all. He wasnt the first, and wont be the last goalie to come in his rookie year and catch everyone by surprise. Bob had at least a year or so before he came over, so he wasnt a complete unknown

But he wasn't a complete known either and imo we still don't know if he is truly an elite goalie. A good one yes, but elite I think the jury is still out. I'm not sure he should be signed for much more than what he is making now but I understand that is not feasible. I'd guess 5 years at 6.5-7 is where he'll land. If he turns into King Henrik II then we pay him his $ next time around; if he plateaus hopefully one of the young guys or future draftees will have developed.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
But he wasn't a complete known either and imo we still don't know if he is truly an elite goalie. A good one yes, but elite I think the jury is still out. I'm not sure he should be signed for much more than what he is making now but I understand that is not feasible. I'd guess 5 years at 6.5-7 is where he'll land. If he turns into King Henrik II then we pay him his $ next time around; if he plateaus hopefully one of the young guys or future draftees will have developed.
This, pretty much.

Right now, it's looking like Bob isn't so much "elite" as he is "consistently good". That's not a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination (indeed, some here might argue that they're the same thing :D ), but it does mean a different tier of compensation. :)

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
And when you've shown you have NOTHING behind him, regardless if he's elite, you need him, and they know it. JK has no leverage in this for long term, he hedged and lost, so its either going to cost us in dollars, or him going elsewhere, either way not good for us.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Depends on your definition of Elite. There's only 30 starting goalies (assuming you ignore 1a/1b situations) and I'd say the strict definition would be the top 3 or 4 guys. That's Rask, Lundqvist, and then some combination of Rinne/Quick/Price. Bob is sitting right outside that top 5.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL

well stated...

Depends on your definition of Elite. There's only 30 starting goalies (assuming you ignore 1a/1b situations) and I'd say the strict definition would be the top 3 or 4 guys. That's Rask, Lundqvist, and then some combination of Rinne/Quick/Price. Bob is sitting right outside that top 5.

this too...i agree with how you worded this

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
And when you've shown you have NOTHING behind him, regardless if he's elite, you need him, and they know it. JK has no leverage in this for long term, he hedged and lost, so its either going to cost us in dollars, or him going elsewhere, either way not good for us.
Oh, c'mon. Backup goaltenders are readily acquirable, and none of our kids are above drinking age. He's necessary and desired, to be sure, but it's not as dire as suggested here.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

Or if there is truly nothing behind him you use assets to acquire another. May not be the definition of leverage but as a restricted free agent not everything is in Bob's favor as you seem to imply. It certainly pins the needle in his direction at this point but he can be traded too and there still are some limits to his ability to move around the league. Obviously the KHL will have some input and that's a big hammer for his agent.

Also, we don't know what we have behind him. I'm not ready to judge the 4 young goalies that have been drafted. Doubt the CBJ is ready to call judgement yet either so you develop them. There are still options and Bob has not defined elite, in my opinion, just yet.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn

The point isn't whether we think he's elite, it's that he's a guy management wants long term, and due to their disinterest in signing him to more than a bridge, that long term is going to cost more money than it needs to have.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Get out of here with that "fair" **** lol. Uncle Jarmo is gonna have to pony up some serious dough now. The losing skid might not be just because bob is out, but no one thinks we lose 9 straight with him on the ice.

somehow when I hear Jarmo saying an offer is "fair", it sounds like it falls somewhere between mediocre and average

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The point isn't whether we think he's elite, it's that he's a guy management wants long term, and due to their disinterest in signing him to more than a bridge, that long term is going to cost more money than it needs to have.

The point is if he comes back and posts pre-injury performance then the lack of a long term deal hasn't cost a dollar and may in fact save some. There are many cases of goalies who look terrific for a season or two and then poof. Hopefully Bob isn't one of them and he will be here as a very good goalie for a long time. Point is we don't know.

Kind of like Johansen. Is he the phenom of the first 6 or 7 games this year when he was on fire and worth 6-7 mill a year or is he the player we have seen as the streak worsens? Still don't know for sure so I'm completely content with the bridge deals for both Joey and Bob.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

I think this is pretty much on target. I then look at the importance of the goalie position. It's the single most important position on the team. Because of that I would much rather make a mistake of overpaying a goaltender by 1 million bucks a year than making that same mistake on a forward. I am not trying to be foolish with money, it's just that you cannot shortchange your roster in goal. I don't believe the team can afford a setback in losing Bob if the contract is at all in reach.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think this is pretty much on target. I then look at the importance of the goalie position. It's the single most important position on the team. Because of that I would much rather make a mistake of overpaying a goaltender by 1 million bucks a year than making that same mistake on a forward. I am not trying to be foolish with money, it's just that you cannot shortchange your roster in goal. I don't believe the team can afford a setback in losing Bob if the contract is at all in reach.[/QUOTE

I tend to agree. It's going to depend on what he wants. Say it's an 8 year $8 million per deal he is after? I'd vote adios. If he wants 7 for 7 it gets dicey imo with my vote still no. I'd rather "overpay" $ than go 7 or 8 years.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I think this is pretty much on target. I then look at the importance of the goalie position. It's the single most important position on the team. Because of that I would much rather make a mistake of overpaying a goaltender by 1 million bucks a year than making that same mistake on a forward. I am not trying to be foolish with money, it's just that you cannot shortchange your roster in goal. I don't believe the team can afford a setback in losing Bob if the contract is at all in reach.

I tend to agree. It's going to depend on what he wants. Say it's an 8 year $8 million per deal he is after? I'd vote adios. If he wants 7 for 7 it gets dicey imo with my vote still no. I'd rather "overpay" $ than go 7 or 8 years.
long term is always risky but it's not like we're extending Lundqvist here, Bob only just turned 26

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
long term is always risky but it's not like we're extending Lundqvist here, Bob only just turned 26

Its not the age; its in case he regresses or gets hurt for say 10-20 games a year which he seems prone to do.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
If he doesn't pick up his game in a major way he won't be getting much of a raise. If he wants to be considered elite and paid like one, he needs to become a wall at this point.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
If he doesn't pick up his game in a major way he won't be getting much of a raise. If he wants to be considered elite and paid like one, he needs to become a wall at this point.

He's playing with a splint on his finger....literally can't catch pucks sometimes.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
He's playing with a splint on his finger....literally can't catch pucks sometimes.

I agree. Without the splint he would have flashed his glove at that 78 footer and sucked it up like Patrick Roy in his prime. :nod:

Seriously? Bob has not been his usual sharp self and it can't all be attributed to his splint. In his defense, he has been victimized by lousy D from most of his teammates, although Dalton Prout did save a goal for him that dribbled through his non-splinted pads the other night.

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
#CBJ goalie coach Ian Clark just spent 10 days or so in Russia, working with Bobrovsky in his hometown. Clark's assesment of Bobrovsky: "He's bigger, faster, stronger. He looks very good."

10 days in Siberia, not bad:) Vodka - connecting people :sarcasm:

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
#CBJ goalie coach Ian Clark just spent 10 days or so in Russia, working with Bobrovsky in his hometown. Clark's assesment of Bobrovsky: "He's bigger, faster, stronger. He looks very good."

10 days in Siberia, not bad:) Vodka - connecting people :sarcasm:

Its so nice to have a top 10 goalie locked up, and especially one with Bob's attitude and competitive level. I don't have to think back very far to remember the chaos in goal that has dominated the bulk of this team's existence.

Like him or hate him, this was a big plus on Howson's record....and Clark's for the matter.

The market is drying up a bit, in terms of those (goalies) available for trade. We’ve had our eye on Sergei for a while, so it was just time to step up and make the move.

We did a lot of work on the goaltender market. (Goaltending coach Ian Clark) is convinced that this guy has a chance to be a No. 1 goalie. We checked out his character, how hard he works and how competitive he is.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Its so nice to have a top 10 goalie locked up, and especially one with Bob's attitude and competitive level. I don't have to think back very far to remember the chaos in goal that has dominated the bulk of this team's existence.

Like him or hate him, this was a big plus on Howson's record....and Clark's for the matter.

You also have to give credit to Howson for getting Clark here as well. Clark was Luongos goalie coach while he was still in Vancouver.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio

Almost didn't happen since the first target was Anders Lindback.

If Bob stays healthy, I predict he's top 3 in Vezina voting, especially after hearing this news.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad