Value of: Montreal Trading Down at the Draft

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
In my opinion that's not even close. Moving from 5-14 should garner better assets than that.

Maybe it would be a reasonable trade if we were only moving down a couple spots.
Yeah, realistically I don’t think there’s anything we can move that would be valuable enough to Montreal for them to move down. We aren’t moving Musty, Smith, Eklund, or our 1st next year, so unless Montreal sees all of Iginla/Catton/Sennecke/Eiserman/Helenius as equal, because one of them is guaranteed to be there at 14, then it doesn’t make sense.

Last edited:

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Scenario:

Celebrini, Demidov, Levshunov and Lindstrom go 1-2-3-4.

This leaves the next group of Dmen: Buium, Silayev, Parekh, Dickinson.

For teams in the 6-14 range, what would you offer in addition to your pick for first dibs on that group of Dmen?

Dont get fancy...Take Iginla at #5 and then go get a pizza.

You can get fancy with the other assets., Flames 1st and The Jets 1st and a few other assets to move into the early teens.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'm a fancy guy :D

Just seeing what's out there. Which I'd bet Kent Hughes is doing as well.
Idk that any team will realistically offer the value it would take, if your specifically talking about moving down.

Youd prob do better trading for an actual player/prospect

Reactions: Blueston

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Idk that any team will realistically offer the value it would take, if your specifically talking about moving down.

That's more along Hughes's modus operandi. I don't see him doing it with the 5th OA though. He has plenty of other draft capital to use if he identifies a player he's interested in

Reactions: Anardil

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest

I disagree. I don't know what it would take, I'm just looking for a general idea of what fans (that are more familiar with their team) would be willing to do.

You don't think any team from 6-14 would be interested enough in a Silayev or Buium to offer something substantial?

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Scenario:

For teams in the 6-14 range, what would you offer in addition to your pick for first dibs on that group of Dmen?
6-7-8 can get 1 of top dmen you listed « for free ».
11-12 Buf-Phi not looking for d

Leaves 9 Cgy (target Iginla?), 10 NJ (has Nemec, Hughes) and 13 Min.

Reactions: DiglettDangles

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I disagree. I don't know what it would take, I'm just looking for a general idea of what fans (that are more familiar with their team) would be willing to do.

You don't think any team from 6-14 would be interested enough in a Silayev or Buium to offer something substantial?
Prob not enough to entice Montreal to move down

Maybe calgary moves up for the 9 +late 1st, with possible adds.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
What is Mtl looking for?
Not a d, not a g, not more picks.

So a forward. Young scoring type is my guess.

Is that correct? And they want the 6-14 pick which lowers the level of return. Cause you get a better player if you give up the 5th straight up.

Reactions: Canadienna

TBF1972

May 19, 2018

it doesn't cost much to move up
two of harris, barron, kovacevic or mesar is enough to jump from wpg 1st to the pit 1st

:scared:

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Scenario:

If that's how it falls I'd take Dickenson for Les Canadiens...but I think the Blue Jackets take the London Blueliner and the Habs should take Tij Iginla the son of the HHOFamer Jerome

• Wow
Reactions: Canadienna

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
What is Mtl looking for?
Not a d, not a g, not more picks.

So a forward. Young scoring type is my guess.

Is that correct? And they want the 6-14 pick which lowers the level of return. Cause you get a better player if you give up the 5th straight up.

Something like that.

From my perspective, if MTL are dead set on drafting a F, we can likely pick from the same "tier" of F later in the draft. Some will disagree with that, but that's my feeling on their position in this scenario.

And yeah, MTL wouldn't want a D prospect, but a F prospect or additional picks could be worth it if they don't see much separation at F in the 6-14 range.

Reactions: JRichard

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
if im the sharks id be open to doing 14, 33, and 42 for 5 and like a 3rd or 4th.
If Montreal doesn't have anyone they are crazy about at 24, would SJ be interested in the pick for 33 and 42? I think there will be players in the 2nd round that would be a big reach at 24 like Poirier or a faller that won't be there by the time the Colorado pick is selected.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
6-7-8 can get 1 of top dmen you listed « for free ».
11-12 Buf-Phi not looking for d

Leaves 9 Cgy (target Iginla?), 10 NJ (has Nemec, Hughes) and 13 Min.

Yes, but GMs and scouts tend to fall in love with players. They might see one of those guys as significantly better than the rest. That's the vibe I get from reading the scout interviews and reports.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
No for me it would have to be a better offer than that.

And to be honest, I think some of those teams at 6-14 might be willing to offer more to draft Silayev, Parekh, Buium, Dickinson.

When you list 4 people they could trade up for though you're really just look for 9-14 spots. At which point trading outside the top 10 is crazy

GRANdSharks

Mar 14, 2018
If Montreal doesn't have anyone they are crazy about at 24, would SJ be interested in the pick for 33 and 42? I think there will be players in the 2nd round that would be a big reach at 24 like Poirier or a faller that won't be there by the time the Colorado pick is selected.
it's possible depending on the board, but I think given how this draft is viewed I'd rather have the 2 shots after 15 than 24, with 16-45 kind of all over the place. i like Alfons freij alot but he could very well be at 33

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad