Sergei Bobrovsky

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
So, I can't believe there wasn't a thread on Bob, the only one I could find was the one about his contract a year ago.

So, I looked at the Porty piece on Bob. And a few things stood out to me, and one is his future contract. I know we are all caught up with the Johansen negotiations, but believe it or not Bob is coming up after this year and he might demand a huge salary according to Porty.

Privately, Bobrovsky was not pleased with his play early last season or in the playoffs. He was 10-11-2 with a .906 save percentage when he went down with the groin injury. Oddly enough, the injury allowed him to recallibrate his play. He went 22-9-3 with a .932 save percentage (sound familiar?) the rest of the season.

Now the question is, can Bob be the 2nd half Bob of last year or is he going to be inconsistent? Those numbers in the 2nd half were outstanding, but the first half before his injury were pretty average. It is true that the Jackets as a team didn't play their game at the start (thus the slow start), but is Bob really as good as his 2nd half says? He has the Vezina from a year ago, but if you remember he also started that year off pretty average before taking off.

Another thing I found interesting from the same piece.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com...2014/09/forecast-no.-72-sergei-bobrovsky.html

Those around him say Bobrovsky is driven -- almost obsessed - to prove that 2013 was not a fluke. Also, this is a contract year. The Blue Jackets and Bobrovsky had exploratory talks this summer about a contract extension, hoping to get a long-term deal in place before Bobrovsky tempts restricted free agency next summer. But with nothing close, the talks were tabled until a later date. Bobrovsky would love to arrive at the table with another monster season behind him. Enjoy this season, Blue Jackets fans. Bobrovsky's contract talks, with agent Paul Theofanus, won't be easy or smooth next summer. If he has the season he expects, they could seek an NHL record payday for goaltenders. Eight years, $80 million? ... Bobrovsky could start a game in Nationwide this season while wearing a different sweater. The NHL All-Star Game arrives in Columbus in late January, and Bobrovsky might be the club's most likely pick as a representative.

The numbers he throws out are quite concerning, but I know he's just speculating. Would you want to pay that huge contract if he has another good year in the regular season, but so-so playoffs again? His playoff numbers aren't the greatest, but I discount the run with the Flyers as he was young and over his head. It'll be interesting, but if he wants that huge deal I am hoping for another Vezina-like season with a good playoff run if we were to get in. Have we seen all that Bob can deliver? Or can he give more? It's going to be an important year for him and the franchise,

What say you? I know its really early, but what kind of season would Bob have to have this year for you to give him his huge contract as Porty is pointing to?

Wendy Clear

Generic Statement of Happiness
Jun 20, 2010
Europe. Somewhere.
As an RFA he won't get those kind of dollars. But he'll certainly deserve a huge payday nonetheless if he has another good year. I think the opinions in this thread will be based on a person's view of goalies in general. Some don't like the idea of paying them big dollars, some think they're the most critical piece of a team.

I wouldn't put all the blame on him for the playoffs, either. The Pens have this ability to turn games into track meets and the Jackets weren't able to stabilize themselves on the back end. He definitely wasn't strong anyway but he was hung out to dry a lot.

If he performs again I say pay the man. He's among the top 10 goalies in the league and, with him in net, it's a position we don't ever have to worry about or think about. I'd love to see Dansk develop into that guy, but let's be honest, it's years away and no guarantee. And then what if Dansk performs the same; let him go and try the next prospect? I think if you find a franchise goalie, you just gotta suck it up and hope they perform for most or all of the contract.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
80m/8 yrs? Is Portzline really that stupid? King Hank himself only got 8.5m AAV after proving himself to be one of the most consistently elite goalies in the game (he recently won a Vezina and has 5 Vezina, 1 Hart, and 1 Lindsay nominations to his name). Tuukka only got 7m AAV after having arguably a Vezina worthy season and a trip to the SCF (which he followed up with winning a Vezina).

Bobrovsky would be lucky to sniff a 8.5m AAV contract.. expect closer to 7m AAV give or take .5m (and that's assuming he doesn't have a bad year this year)

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I am weary from the Joey thread, but what the heck. Lots of cap issues for the Jackets in the next few years.

Only thing I think is certain is that they can't give away the ranch to everyone. In playing around with cap projections, I had Joey in at 2 yrs for 6 (just to be on the safe side) and then 8 per for the next umpteen. I had Bob at 7. I can't see them getting much more than that-maybe a million more each but that would be the max in my mind.

Goalies are a strange breed. There have been many more good for a couple of years guys than long time greats. I think they will be cautious on Bob. If he starts like gangbusters I would hope they can get a deal done mid-season (or even if he doesn't)

Of course Bob has arbitration rights this time so whole different puckgame.

It can't turn into Joey II, can it?

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I'm hoping that it is a 5 or 6 year contract rather than the max 8. I think even the Rangers are going to regret Hank's contract at the end - I don't think goalies should be given longer than 6. Depending on how he plays this year, it will be between 6 and 8 M AAV probably.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Portzline is absolutely horrid when it comes to speculation on contracts (actually, he's just horrid on speculation, period)...he really needs to stop just throwing out these wildly awful numbers because people latch on to them and they mistakenly become "rumors."

The only way Bob would even sniff a $10 mil/year contract is if he won the Vezina, the Conn Smythe, and carried us to the Stanley Cup this season. If that happens, fine, break the bank.

Most realists understand that he will likely see something like a 7x7 deal.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
He'll still be an RFA, at $6+ million AAV I don't think he'll see any offer sheets (but who knows), and I think we can rule out the KHL as a viable option for now.

We'll see how the year goes. I know they started exploratory talks not too long ago but those got tabled. If he can be a top 10 goalie again and register a playoff series win, then I would guess 6 or 7 years with a $6.5-$7 AAV. It's going to cost 9-10% of the cap most likely.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
He'll still be an RFA, at $6+ million AAV I don't think he'll see any offer sheets (but who knows), and I think we can rule out the KHL as a viable option for now.

We'll see how the year goes. I know they started exploratory talks not too long ago but those got tabled. If he can be a top 10 goalie again and register a playoff series win, then I would guess 6 or 7 years with a $6.5-$7 AAV. It's going to cost 9-10% of the cap most likely.

i think you are on target here...but another vezina...that may become 8-8.5

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
well his Vezina has an asterisk as it was in a shortened season, and he had some poor years in Philly, so I'm counting on JD/JK to not budge above $4 mill

:sarcasm:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I don't have any concerns about Bob's work ethic, commitment, or maturity. So I am not concerned that a long contract goes to his head.

That said, to get $10 million AAV he would have to win another Vezina, the Hart, and carry us deep in the playoffs.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
I don't have any concerns about Bob's work ethic, commitment, or maturity. So I am not concerned that a long contract goes to his head.

That said, to get $10 million AAV he would have to win another Vezina, the Hart, and carry us deep in the playoffs.

Agree on all counts except $10 million is a pipe dream. If he does all that, a Rask type deal is probably where I would end up.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
We're going to see what the foolish bridge deal for a Vezina winner costs the team.

Instead of Bob entering the 2nd year of a 6 year $30-33 million deal this season, he'll be looking for the sun, the stars and the moon if he has another good season. Even if he has a mediocre year, he'll be looking for a hefty pay increase.

Great cap management by the front office. Outstanding job from team "prove it".:laugh: One Vezina wasn't enough for them.

Wendy Clear

Generic Statement of Happiness
Jun 20, 2010
Europe. Somewhere.
We're going to see what the foolish bridge deal for a Vezina winner costs the team.

Instead of Bob entering the 2nd year of a 6 year $30-33 million deal this season, he'll be looking for the sun, the stars and the moon if he has another good season. Even if he has a mediocre year, he'll be looking for a hefty pay increase.

Great cap management by the front office. Outstanding job from team "prove it".:laugh: One Vezina wasn't enough for them.

Yeah dude, he signed a $5.6m bridge deal but I'm sure he would've signed a $5.6m 6-year deal as well.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

He can look all he wants but he probably won't get it. If he plays all season like Vezina Bob then no problem; if he plays all season like 1st half 2013-14 Bob, status quo would seem in order for a two or three year deal. Hopefully he plays like Vezina Bob and is rewarded with a 7 mill long term deal.

Unfortunately not everyone has your ability to see into the future and do today what most reasonable people won't. Remembering the contract extensions for Brassard, Umbie and Nash is enough to bring a bit of caution to most fans.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
He can look all he wants but he probably won't get it. If he plays all season like Vezina Bob then no problem; if he plays all season like 1st half 2013-14 Bob, status quo would seem in order for a two or three year deal. Hopefully he plays like Vezina Bob and is rewarded with a 7 mill long term deal.

Unfortunately not everyone has your ability to see into the future and do today what most reasonable people won't. Remembering the contract extensions for Brassard, Umbie and Nash is enough to bring a bit of caution to most fans.

Nash ended up being a very movable piece-his contract was no issue. As were the other two. With Umberger, it was an act of Devine Providence:) And Ron Hextall perhaps having an extra chromosome.

It would be no problem to move either Bob or Johansen. Don't give them NMCs. I'm not suggesting that they could be awful for an extended period and be tradeable, but one even significant off year wouldn't put them in the albatross class like, say, a Horton. They are both very young and one has a Vezina on his resume and the other is a 22 year old, 6'3" 220 lbs. two way #1 center. Both are rare commodities.

I don't think that the "reasonable people" categorization fits. I am certain that many if not most NHL GMs would have already inked both Bob and Johansen to long term deals. Even team "prove it, show me, earn it" offered Johansen a maximum deal. And most on this board would categorize JD and Jarmo as reasonable.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
As an RFA he won't get those kind of dollars. But he'll certainly deserve a huge payday nonetheless if he has another good year. I think the opinions in this thread will be based on a person's view of goalies in general. Some don't like the idea of paying them big dollars, some think they're the most critical piece of a team.

I wouldn't put all the blame on him for the playoffs, either. The Pens have this ability to turn games into track meets and the Jackets weren't able to stabilize themselves on the back end. He definitely wasn't strong anyway but he was hung out to dry a lot.

If he performs again I say pay the man. He's among the top 10 goalies in the league and, with him in net, it's a position we don't ever have to worry about or think about. I'd love to see Dansk develop into that guy, but let's be honest, it's years away and no guarantee. And then what if Dansk performs the same; let him go and try the next prospect? I think if you find a franchise goalie, you just gotta suck it up and hope they perform for most or all of the contract.

Pretty much agree, but as a huge Bobrovsky fan I still put a blame on him for the Pittsburgh series. He was awful. It's a fact. Thing is he really didn't have that much playoff experience. I expect him to have it now and prove it. A bad experience should be even a better teacher. That's how I see it.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I don't think the RFA tag is going to mean a whole lot. Having said that, he'd be lucky to see Lundqvist money.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Good thread..... To be honest I'm concerned about Bobrovsky.. He's good no doubt but I do wonder about consistency. I have no stats at hand to back this up but my gut feeling is he could go bust as easy as HOF.... As for contracts, his future contract will be based on his performance this season....

This I know, to advance to the Conference finals he must be one of the top goaltenders in the league this season down the stretch..

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
No problem going the full 8 for Bob. He is very young for a starting goaltender and is already a top 5 goalie Additionally given that many goalies have shown the ability to play at an elite level into their late 30s a long term doesn't worry me the same as players at other positions. Finally from day one everyone in the organization has acknowledged Bob as the hardest worker on the team. I can't think of a better time to pay big money than to the player with the most important role on the team who is also the hardest working player.

Having said that I wouldn't go any higher than Hanks 8.5 per, and I would also want most of the real $ up front. In terms of a NMC I would structure it similar to dubinsky's contract with a full no move for the first years and then a limited NMC later in the term.

juno89

May 30, 2013
As it stands according to CapGeek he is the 12th highest paid goalie at 5.6M. That said 500,000 would be enough to move nearly into the top 5 salaries. The Goalies have a tighter a pay band then about any position.

As for his age (26) there are four goalies within about a year of him who are being paid more then him

Tuukka Rask (26) - 7M (he is in year 2 of 8)
Carey Price (27) - 6.5M (he is in year 6 of 6)
Semyon Varlamof (26) - 5.9M (he is in year 1 of 5)
Jonathan Quick (28) - 5.8M (he is in year 2 of 10)

I would say based strictly on looking at the pay scale and assuming he would not be the top earner in the group we are actually in the 7M to 8M range. 7M would place him tied for 2 with Pekka Rinne and Task, I am speculating we can get him for 7.5M a year which places him, at least for now, alone in second (that said 8M puts him alone in second as well).

That said he agent is very wise, Cory Schneider (age 28) and Ben Bishop (age 27) are going to be free agents this coming summer and both will probably be placed in the top five salaries assuming they stay on par with the last couple years performance.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
As it stands according to CapGeek he is the 12th highest paid goalie at 5.6M. That said 500,000 would be enough to move nearly into the top 5 salaries. The Goalies have a tighter a pay band then about any position.

As for his age (26) there are four goalies within about a year of him who are being paid more then him

I would say based strictly on looking at the pay scale and assuming he would not be the top earner in the group we are actually in the 7M to 8M range. 7M would place him tied for 2 with Pekka Rinne and Task, I am speculating we can get him for 7.5M a year which places him, at least for now, alone in second (that said 8M puts him alone in second as well).

That said he agent is very wise, Cory Schneider (age 28) and Ben Bishop (age 27) are going to be free agents this coming summer and both will probably be placed in the top five salaries assuming they stay on par with the last couple years performance.

Corey Schneider is unproven He's only played 143 NHL games with a 2.12 GAA and a .925 save %. :sarcasm:

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio

I fully expect Bob to get $7 million + on a long term deal. He is a proven quantity and currently the most important player on the team.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I fully expect Bob to get $7 million + on a long term deal. He is a proven quantity and currently the most important player on the team.

I'd like it to be around $7 M x 6, provided his season this year matches about the average of the last two, but thinking it will be closer to $8 M x 8.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad