Sergachev vs Drouin

Who you take going forward ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Said it from the very start. Don’t believe me, pull up my posting history. Likes the trade for the habs when the trade was made, still rather have drouin today. Dude is as savvy as they come.

I originally made lots of reasonable proposals for him when he was with Tampa.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Because Drouin's stay in TB was so full of controversy, people are looking to say one side did MASSIVELY better than the other. But some trades are just good, fair hockey deals. I think this is one of them.

Sergachev is trending toward becoming a #2, and Drouin is trending toward becoming either an elite or near-elite point producer (Drouin has all the earmarks of a somewhat late bloomer, to me). If both guys reach their potential? Or close to it? Good trade.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Where do you get that from? His offensive production is way down and has been pretty much our worst defenseman at actually playing defense.
serg has been easily better than coburn stralman and girardi this year, and the offense has been more bad luck than anything

Reactions: stopclickbait

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Feel bad for Johnny, I really do. I was upset when this trade was made and Drouin really showed he could carry an offense in the playoffs against an elite opponent with how he played against the Penguins in 2016. I was obviously wrong to be upset - things have worked out very well for TB - but there was a really good player somewhere in Drouin that, regrettably, doesn't appear will ever truly pan out at this point.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
That was a very lopsided trade. Hopefully JD gets to a market where he can just be a player, and get his game back.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
My answer is the same as the day the trade was announced. Sergachev, this was one of Bergevin's worst moves.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Said it from the very start. Don’t believe me, pull up my posting history. Likes the trade for the habs when the trade was made, still rather have drouin today. Dude is as savvy as they come.

I originally made lots of reasonable proposals for him when he was with Tampa.

I voted Druin today to make you feel better.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Hindsight says people are extremely nasty and borderline abusive to defensive prospects--thank god many posters are not sitting in an NHL GM chair--as if every f***ing one of them is a Michael Del Zotto, Bogosian, or Tyler Myers to be. The ages of 18-22 are purely scouting/development years for D. They are not obligated or required to be freaking NHL dominating at that time. They DO however, need to show dominance around 22-23, which when potential is no longer an argument for them.

Then they go ooh and ahh when some new defensive superstar happens to reach asset maturation and then are start paying dividends for their team.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
This may be meta, but bumping old polls to take a victory lap is low class. We’ve all been very very wrong about stuff if we’ve been on this site for more than a few years.
Most of my takes and votes have aged pretty well I think. BUT I'm also aware that's pretty much all luck lol. I know that trend won't hold for long

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Very funny to see the results of this thread.

This trade has had some terrible consequences for MTL, Sergachev has been fantastic in this series. McDonagh was also drafted by MTL and he has been able to shut them down so far in the series.

The butterfly effect hasn't been in MTL's favor here.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Hindsight says people are extremely nasty and borderline abusive to defensive prospects--thank god many posters are not sitting in an NHL GM chair--as if every f***ing one of them is a Michael Del Zotto, Bogosian, or Tyler Myers to be. The ages of 18-22 are purely scouting/development years for D. They are not obligated or required to be freaking NHL dominating at that time. They DO however, need to show dominance around 22-23, which when potential is no longer an argument for them.

Then they go ooh and ahh when some new defensive superstar happens to reach asset maturation and then are start paying dividends for their team.
Defensive prospects are also kind of weird in general. After his rookie year where he hit a bunch and scored goals with his rocket shot, Dion "Captain Pylon" Phaneuf was rated the #3 player to start a franchise with by NHL GMs after Crosby and Ovechkin... Although at least in his case he was always overrated because his defense was never very good. But it does go to show how tricky evaluating defensive prospects can be even after they establish early success. I mean, Tyler Myers won the Calder and he's terrible.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Very funny to see the results of this thread.

This trade has had some terrible consequences for MTL, Sergachev has been fantastic in this series. McDonagh was also drafted by MTL and he has been able to shut them down so far in the series.

The butterfly effect hasn't been in MTL's favor here.
Can't think of a bigger "high risk high reward" for both teams than "young NHL player with some promise but may need a change of scenery" for "high-end prospect". These are the ones where it often turns out one team completely rakes the other over with the benefit of hindsight.

There's definitely a universe where Drouin finds his stride in Montreal as a top line forward with a GM that doesn't have it out for him while looking to send him to the Minors every time he has a bad game and tries to forcefeed him into being a Centerman while Sergachev is just another Slater Koekkok type where a few years down the line people are like "wait... this guy was a top 10 pick??" as he bounces up and down the NHL and Minors, in and out of the lineup for a few years before heading to Europe.

Last edited:

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Good trade for both teams. Drouin wore out his welcome a bit in Tampa and we really needed a defender as we were already stacked at forward. Montreal needed a forward. These guys are still young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad