Eklund Rumor: Sergachev for Bouchard (MOD warning in OP)

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Sergachev is more than decent and is worth more the Bouchard. That's enough overpayment if that's a deal both sides wants to do. However, how are the Oilers going to sign Sergachev and fit their cap? I heard Klefbom is hurt but not so sure he is guaranteed to miss the entire year? A bit risky there if he comes back

On a bridge deal, I see Sergachev getting McAvoy type AAV.

Holland is capable of shedding salary if needed.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
So are other teams but I'd be curious to see the cost to unload. All eyes on Tampa at the moment but we are in stall mode. I'm very curious to see the price to move Johnson

Oilers have soon to be UFAs like Larsson, Nuge, Chiasson that have value and could be traded with no sweetener if the Oilers absolutely need cap space for amazing deal (like top-4 ELC D like Sergachev).

Reactions: lakai17

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Oilers have soon to be UFAs like Larsson, Nuge, Chiasson that have value and could be traded with no sweetener if the Oilers absolutely need cap space for amazing deal (like top-4 ELC D like Sergachev).

Easier said than done but not impossible. If Tampa has a hard time moving Johnson (for free cause he was on waivers), Lets not pretend it's easy to trade players for value like it's a normal off season. It's not.

Larsson and Chiasson don't have that much trade value. RNH has more yes but pretty sure the Oilers need him.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Easier said than done but not impossible. If Tampa has a hard time moving Johnson (for free cause he was on waivers), Lets not pretend it's easy to trade players for value like it's a normal off season. It's not.

Larsson and Chiasson don't have that much trade value. RNH has more yes but pretty sure the Oilers need him.

Johnson has a $5M cap hit for four more years, all of which are on the wrong side of age 30 for a player his size. He also took a step back this past year. I'm surprised that nobody claimed him, but it has been a very atypical summer.

Oilers would have zero issues moving Larsson @ $4M. Chaisson, I agree... a little more difficult but still only $2M

Also... Voxel didn't say we'd receive significant or full value for them. He/she said that the players are of value... thus we could find a home for them if we accept a bit less (which one would simply factor into the price you've paid to get Sergachev).

Reactions: Guttersniped

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Johnson has a $5M cap hit for four more years, all of which are on the wrong side of age 30 for a player his size. He also took a step back this past year. I'm surprised that nobody claimed him, but it has been a very atypical summer.

Oilers would have zero issues moving Larsson @ $4M. Chaisson, I agree... a little more difficult but still only $2M

Also... Voxel didn't say we'd receive significant or full value for them. He/she said that the players are of value... thus we could find a home for them if we accept a bit less (which one would simply factor into the price you've paid to get Sergachev).

Term is harder to move in general yes.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Oh I know about Tampa like everyone else knows that players take less to stay in Tampa..... let me know how it goes with AC and Serg making a combined 2 million next year which leaves you no room. I get it you think Palat is better than Panarin but you need to clear cap space to sign Serg and AC. Every team in the league made a statement about Tyler Johnson and Tampa’s cap situation. Mike Hoffman is available as a UFA and Granlund as well. What players do you plan on trading? I’m genuinely curious.
Nah, you're the only one on here with an obsession over Palat it seems. Tampa will move out Johnson with a sweetener, or if that proves untenable they'll move to Killorn. Paquette and Coburn being traded also wouldn't surprise most Lightning fans, and the option of Stamkos to LTIR depending on how this rehab goes is also still on the table. Plenty of options for Tampa, but Palat leaving is not anywhere close to the top of the list. Brisebois is clearly waiting(as are other teams) to see where Hoffman signs and then possibly players such as Johnson and Killorn likely get moved. The 3 rfas will probably take 2 year bridges to keep the aav down and with the usual discount and based on the current environment, Brisebois will likely find a way to keep them.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

Nobody claimed Johnson because his contract is a monstrosity and cap space is worth its weight in gold right now. Even if Tampa retained half his contract, he’d still likely be a tough sell. We’re going threw a similar situation but to a lesser extent in Montreal right now with Paul Byron. The price it would cost to get the few teams who have the cap to take on these types of contracts wouldn’t be worth it unless you’re in a very bad place, which let’s face, Tampa is given they have 3 good RFA’s to resign and Sergachev being a big one putting it lightly.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It don't work that way. Klefbom drives that boat more than the Oilers do. You can do little things but at the end of the day, Klefbom wants to play and will work hard at getting healthy. Sorry, I don't support the narrative of a team delaying a injury recovery on a player like that.
There have been situations like that with other teams in the past, where the team would not be compliant if the player returned, so they returned early in the playoffs.

I don't think it's breaking a rule if the player benefits from extra physio after his recovery, and in Klefbom's case it might make all the difference later in life if he takes extra time now. Also, as long as it's not a crazy amount of time sitting on LTIR while they technically could play.

But, of course us fans don't really know exactly if Klefbom's issue meets this criteria. It just seems very much that way considering the seriousness of it. Our management would know this better of course, and could coordinate with Klefbom on this.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
The problem with TB is that they need to clear at least 10-12 mil without receiving any salary back.

AND every single highly paid players they have but Point got a NTC/NMC, and they won't trade Point.

Furthermore, none of these players want to leave a SC winning team in such a perfect spot (sunshine, low taxes rate, etc..).

Add to that the Covid flat cap situation.

So very few teams combine cap space and attractiveness (that TB players would wave their clause for).
These few teams have the upper hand and will certainly try to take advantage of it.

Sooooo yes, want it or not TB has a problem...

There's a waiting game happening right now.
Once Hoffman is signed dominos will fall for TB since Nashville, Florida and Columbus are the only good teams with cap space remaining.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There have been situations like that with other teams in the past, where the team would not be compliant if the player returned, so they returned early in the playoffs.

I don't think it's breaking a rule if the player benefits from extra physio after his recovery, and in Klefbom's case it might make all the difference later in life if he takes extra time now. Also, as long as it's not a crazy amount of time sitting on LTIR while they technically could play.

But, of course us fans don't really know exactly if Klefbom's issue meets this criteria. It just seems very much that way considering the seriousness of it. Our management would know this better of course, and could coordinate with Klefbom on this.

It's more up to Klefbom than is with Oilers management. But yes, they can talk to each other on expected return date and what are the options

CarlWising

Jun 4, 2018

Larsson does, not Chiasson

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Nobody claimed Johnson because his contract is a monstrosity and cap space is worth its weight in gold right now. Even if Tampa retained half his contract, he’d still likely be a tough sell. We’re going threw a similar situation but to a lesser extent in Montreal right now with Paul Byron. The price it would cost to get the few teams who have the cap to take on these types of contracts wouldn’t be worth it unless you’re in a very bad place, which let’s face, Tampa is given they have 3 good RFA’s to resign and Sergachev being a big one putting it lightly.

Agree... and you'd have to think teams may have been willing to take on a Johnson (at 50% retention as you suggest) if they weren't all salivating at the possibility of Sergachev being available if they say no to Johnson etc...

Seems it is a bit of a stand-off to see who blinks. I'm sure those with cap space are just weighing their best options... they are in an enviable position.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The problem with TB is that they need to clear at least 10-12 mil without receiving any salary back.

AND every single highly paid players they have but Point got a NTC/NMC, and they won't trade Point.

Furthermore, none of these players want to leave a SC winning team in such a perfect spot (sunshine, low taxes rate, etc..).

Add to that the Covid flat cap situation.

So very few teams combine cap space and attractiveness (that TB players would wave their clause for).
These few teams have the upper hand and will certainly try to take advantage of it.

Sooooo yes, want it or not TB has a problem...

There's a waiting game happening right now.
Once Hoffman is signed dominos will fall for TB since Nashville, Florida and Columbus are the only good teams with cap space remaining.

I don't think Tampa needs 10-12 Mil if they sign both Cirelli and Sergachev to bridge deals. If McAvoy, Point, Laine, Tkachuk can sign bridge deals (before Covid), so can Cirelli and Sergachev. In fact, they might prefer bridge deals in the covid flat cap seasons.

I think they need to unload $6M - $8M range (+/-). Johnson and Killorn would do it. If I was them, I'd be trying to unload McDonagh. He has a NTC too but Sergachev can replace him behind Hedman on the LD side. Otherwise, Sergachev has to play RD? I do recall McDonagh playing RD in the playoffs with Sergachev but not sure how much they tried that. Didn't watch all the games

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Larsson does, not Chiasson

In terms of trade value... RNH, Larsson, Chiasson... in that order yes. But not so sure the Oilers want to trade Larsson on the RD side. I'd be careful if I was the Oilers.... All teams need some physical types on the back end. I'm not a big fan of Barrie in his own end. Good PP guy though at the point.

And I just noticed that Bear is not signed yet. That complicates the Bouchard/Sergachev signing even more in terms of trying to find the cap room for Sergachev which is where the RNH, Larsson, Chiasson conversation started... in terms of freeing up cap space.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
In terms of trade value... RNH, Larsson, Chiasson... in that order yes. But not so sure the Oilers want to trade Larsson on the RD side. I'd be careful if I was the Oilers.... All teams need some physical types on the back end. I'm not a big fan of Barrie in his own end. Good PP guy though at the point.

And I just noticed that Bear is not signed yet. That complicates the Bouchard/Sergachev signing even more in terms of trying to find the cap room for Sergachev which is where the RNH, Larsson, Chiasson conversation started... in terms of freeing up cap space.
I don't think RNH should be in any conversations regarding the Oilers freeing up cap space. He isn't going anywhere.

I also believe a Bear contract is being pushed back until a clearer picture of Klefbom is available, which makes sense.

Reactions: TFHockey

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think RNH should be in any conversations regarding the Oilers freeing up cap space. He isn't going anywhere.

I also believe a Bear contract is being pushed back until a clearer picture of Klefbom is available, which makes sense.

Makes total sense to me! I was not the one who brought up RNH as one to move to clear cap to sign Sergachev if this trade happened. And yeah... Oilers signed Barrie which created a tight cap for Bear. If Klefbom was healthy, would the Oilers have signed Barrie? Seems to me that Bear has competition on the RD side now. Bear, Barrie, Larsson. Who's playing bottom pairing? We will see how that unfolds.

Oilers have decent depth if Puljujarvi and Yammy can perform in the top 6. Moves guys like Neal, Kassian, Chiasson down which is a good thing.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
I don't think Tampa needs 10-12 Mil if they sign both Cirelli and Sergachev to bridge deals. If McAvoy, Point, Laine, Tkachuk can sign bridge deals (before Covid), so can Cirelli and Sergachev. In fact, they might prefer bridge deals in the covid flat cap seasons.

I think they need to unload $6M - $8M range (+/-). Johnson and Killorn would do it. If I was them, I'd be trying to unload McDonagh. He has a NTC too but Sergachev can replace him behind Hedman on the LD side. Otherwise, Sergachev has to play RD? I do recall McDonagh playing RD in the playoffs with Sergachev but not sure how much they tried that. Didn't watch all the games

Sergachev can play LH or RH D, and he has said he prefers RHD. He has played with Hedman, McD, and Coburn on the RH side. He played a lot of LHD in the regular season and playoffs as Bogosian, Cernak, Rutta, Shenn and Shattenkirk only play RHD. Next year, if there is one, it looks like Hedman-Sergachev McD-Cernak Coburn-Foote Shenn will be the pairings.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Sergachev can play LH or RH D, and he has said he prefers RHD. He has played with Hedman, McD, and Coburn on the RH side. He played a lot of LHD in the regular season and playoffs as Bogosian, Cernak, Rutta, Shenn and Shattenkirk only play RHD. Next year, if there is one, it looks like Hedman-Sergachev McD-Cernak Coburn-Foote Shenn will be the pairings.

I know Sergachev can play both sides but when Tampa tried him RD side, they kept moving him back to LD. I believe in the games I watched in the playoffs, McDonagh was the one who played RD to Sergachev. Daily lineup has is shown that way which verifies what I saw.

CarlWising

Jun 4, 2018

Yeah I’m not saying the oilers should trade Larsson, I’m just saying that if they wanted to they could easily find a trading partner for a discounted price.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
How is AC not worth 3.25 cap hit for 2 years? Didn’t I say 6.5 bridge deal? Lmao Later on I mention Palat’s 5 million cap hit. Tampa fans are all over the map. First you say you should get Laf or Fox for him now you say he’s not really good and Selke contender means nothing.I just am wondering how you are clearing money off the books to sign both guys but some reason you think both guys will sign for 1 million cap hit because of COVID. Have people forgotten what happen to the Hawks twice in the 2010’s and that didn’t have a pandemic. That’s how the cap works.
Did you expect us to just guess the years on your $6.5M suggestion? You clearly meant cap hit.

No one is claiming a Selke contender means nothing, we're saying it's not equivalent to a 40 goal, 90 point scorer. Which it's not.

Reactions: NatoGhost

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
First the OP won’t happen . Tampa can get a better futures return then Bouchard. All the other proposal for Tampa’s. good players Are just insulting
I disagree. First off, over and over it is proven that teams over a barrel like Tampa is now, end up losing trades.

Second, Bouchard is a blue chip prospect. There are those who believe it is just a bad idea from an Oilers perspective. I don't agree with them, but they could be right. The odds are not so bad, and Bouchard's years of cost certainty are a big bonus.

Third, the best way to approach any proposal on these boards is just to accept them as a base. It's only a bad proposal if the add ons are worth more than the original pieces. If we needed to add to Bouchard, we could argue how much us fair. But Bouchard as a starting point gets you into the conversation big time. And yes, there are ways for us to create cap space if we needed to.

Reactions: CarlWising

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad