Seravalli: Seravalli & Marek: "Avs are 100% acquiring a goaltender"

Status
Not open for further replies.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Has Justus faced any good teams this year, and how did he look in them? (I see his back to back shutouts, but versus Chicago..)
Not really, though he's obviously never looked better than right now. I'm on the fence about him being reliable enough right now to be our #2. I think he could hold that spot down next year though.

Reactions: KaraLupin

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Has Justus faced any good teams this year, and how did he look in them? (I see his back to back shutouts, but versus Chicago..)
I’m guessing you didn’t watch the games though. He looked really good. Made some incredible saves.

Reactions: KaraLupin

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
lol yeah, how silly of me for thinking the Avs would probably shoot a little higher than "bad backup goalie on the worst team in the league"
No, the silly part is framing Kahkonen as a bad backup goalie on the worst team in the league. That just continues to prove how unserious you are about player evaluations and team needs.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Man I know avs fans hate him but I would give up a 1st and some goodies to get him at 2mil retained.

People put too much focus on the two games in the playoffs where he gave up 5 goals and not enough on games like game 6 in Tampa where he had a .957 in a cup clinching 2-1 win. I’d love to have someone that “bad” again.

Might be cooked now though. His numbers have been terrible since that game.

Reactions: AvStock

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver
I’m guessing you didn’t watch the games though. He looked really good. Made some incredible saves.
No I didn't watch them. So how do you rate him as a backup then, do you think he could make those saves against playoffs teams in the post season if called upon?

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Leafs have 3 goalies, so Martin Jones? He's been pretty solid this year, the Leafs can't keep all 3 on the roster indefinitely and can't send anyone down that won't get claimed.

Or are the Avs looking for a starter?

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
No I didn't watch them. So how do you rate him as a backup then, do you think he could make those saves against playoffs teams in the post season if called upon?
No I don’t think he’s a good backup for the playoffs. But saying “it’s only Chicago” when you didn’t even see the saves is very disingenuous.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You should try looking at stats that show he's not. You also need to have realistic expectations of what a goalie is actually capable of playing behind an AHL defense when they're not exactly great themselves. Kahkonen isn't a starter level goalie but he's not a bad backup. He's a solid 1B on a really bad team that can contribute in net to competitive teams. Lots of Jake Allen type goalies are being thrown around and Kahkonen is pretty much in that same boat.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Leafs have 3 goalies, so Martin Jones? He's been pretty solid this year, the Leafs can't keep all 3 on the roster indefinitely and can't send anyone down that won't get claimed.

Or are the Avs looking for a starter?
can send Jones down after the deadline. More than likely an aged UFA who will clear.
Unlikely to be claimed by a team outside of the playoffs and can't play in the playoffs if a team claims him.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
You should try looking at stats that show he's not. You also need to have realistic expectations of what a goalie is actually capable of playing behind an AHL defense when they're not exactly great themselves. Kahkonen isn't a starter level goalie but he's not a bad backup. He's a solid 1B on a really bad team that can contribute in net to competitive teams. Lots of Jake Allen type goalies are being thrown around and Kahkonen is pretty much in that same boat.
He's significantly below the quality of goalie I would want the Avs to acquire considering their goals for this year. Let's just leave it at that.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Who would you have preferred if you were the Avs. Bowen for Middelstat or Ullmark?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad