Seravalli: Seravalli & Marek: "Avs are 100% acquiring a goaltender"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I wonder if there's a trade to be made around Lindgren and Dowd that includes O'Connor + a pick. Hate to lose LOC but Avs won't be able to re-sign him past next year anyway, and it's essentially just swapping a W for a C in Dowd,

LOC's younger, probably has some more offensive upside. So I feel like that's at least a wash, meaning the pick value for Lindgren is all it really needs. Maybe they swap Colorado's 2024 1st for Vegas' 2nd?

Only thing is Avs could also use another LHD so I think they prioritize that and a G over making another move up front.

I will say Lindgren is my first choice of those available. Not only because of his contract but I also like having another right-handed catching goalie as a backup/1B. I think it can throw shooters off a bit in a playoff series if a switch is made and 1 game can mean all the difference.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Lindgren has been good this year, but isn’t very proven, so there’s considerable risk in him not being able to hold it down come playoff time.

Dowd is a 4th liner, albeit a really good one.

Also, the retention is only pennies for this year and $650k next year.

2024 1st+ should be fair IMO and I wouldn’t do more than that if I were the Avs.
You are forgetting one big thing. Avs aint the only team that will be looking to acquire both, so if BMac is gonna deal those two, there will be a bidding war. So as I said Avs gonna have to pony up!

MarchessaultCantRead

Mar 3, 2023
You are forgetting one big thing. Avs aint the only team that will be looking to acquire both, so if BMac is gonna deal those two, there will be a bidding war. So as I said Avs gonna have to pony up!
I certainly understand. However, IMO, the 1st+ should already be considered “ponying up”.

The trade has to make sense for both sides, so if the Caps get better offers from other teams, then they should definitely go that route and the Avs should look elsewhere.

Lindgren and Dowd are quality players, but the Avs should be able to find a 4C and a backup goalie without giving up their 2024 1st.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I certainly understand. However, IMO, the 1st+ should already be considered “ponying up”.

The trade has to make sense for both sides, so if the Caps get better offers from other teams, then they should definitely go that route and the Avs should look elsewhere.

Lindgren and Dowd are quality players, but the Avs should be able to find a 4C and a backup goalie without giving up their 2024 1st.
I'm not sure you are getting it. The goaltending trade market is very thin. The supposed big names are not getting moved and the other goalies that might be available have much higher salary cap hits with actually(mostly) worse numbers. Dowd, is arguably one of the better 4th line Centers in the NHL relative to his low cap hit. He can win important draws for you in the D-Zone, is very strong on the PK and even chip in a few goals here and there at even strength, while being good on pressuring the opponents D on the forecheck.

Reactions: MileHighCapsFan

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Getting a Dowd/Lindgren package would be like the perfect deadline for the Avs

Imagine a Trenin-Dowd-Duhaime line for the playoffs. Lindgren can finally give Georgiev some nights off.

That’s worth a 1st, especially for their contracts next year where the Avs could really use some bargain bin players to fill out the roster

MarchessaultCantRead

Mar 3, 2023
I'm not sure you are getting it. The goaltending trade market is very thin. The supposed big names are not getting moved and the other goalies that might be available have much higher salary cap hits with actually(mostly) worse numbers. Dowd, is arguably one of the better 4th line Centers in the NHL relative to his low cap hit. He can win important draws for you in the D-Zone, is very strong on the PK and even chip in a few goals here and there at even strength, while being good on pressuring the opponents D on the forecheck.
Like I said, they’re both good for what they are, but how often do teams give up 1sts for unproven backup goalies and 4Cs.

I certainly understand that their favorable contract situations bump up their value and makes a 1st+ warranted for the both of them, but I, personally, just wouldn’t pay any higher than that.

The Avs’ other options might not be as good, but they certainly won’t cost them a 1st and they can save that pick for another move down the line.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Like I said, they’re both good for what they are, but how often do teams give up 1sts for unproven backup goalies and 4Cs.

I certainly understand that their favorable contract situations bump up their value and makes a 1st+ warranted for the both of them, but I, personally, just wouldn’t pay any higher than that.

The Avs’ other options might not be as good, but they certainly won’t cost them a 1st and they can save that pick for another move down the line.
One other thing that supports my argument. 2024 Draft is weaker than the 2023 Draft. There is a growing consensus that picks 20-32, there is a big drop-off in talent. So basically in that pick range, those prospects are probably close to 2nd round players in a better, normal draft year. That also means those prospects will project to being 2nd/3rd line forwards, 2nd/3rd pairing d-men. Regarding Lindgren, no way would I be mentioning a return of '24 1st for a goalie. Normally, Lindgren would never grab higher than a 2nd rounder and some cases a 3rd rounder.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Getting a Dowd/Lindgren package would be like the perfect deadline for the Avs

Imagine a Trenin-Dowd-Duhaime line for the playoffs. Lindgren can finally give Georgiev some nights off.

That’s worth a 1st, especially for their contracts next year where the Avs could really use some bargain bin players to fill out the roster

That deal would make a lot of sense for both teams, even though I don t see a 1st being moved for those pieces given recent comps. That being said it s a lot of deadline additions, sometimes it changes the structure of your team too much (see NYR las year)

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
Lindgren makes most since... Being that he is also signed for next year. Pick up dowd too as he is a true center and is also signed next year cheap.

Not sure what that would cost.

2024 1st +

The AVS won't trade Ritchie but anyone else could go.

MileHighCapsFan

Mar 12, 2007
Lindgren makes most since... Being that he is also signed for next year. Pick up dowd too as he is a true center and is also signed next year cheap.

Not sure what that would cost.

2024 1st +

The AVS won't trade Ritchie but anyone else could go.
We're looking for young players... could use some forwards. LOC sounds like something workable.

The Missing Piece

What's Left?
Sep 19, 2012
This would be a move to have an NHL backup for Georgiev? I can't see them wanting a new starter in light of how many wins Georgiev has brought home. Sure his GAA isn't ideal but the AVS aren't super defensive brand hockey they have the best Offense in league IMO though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille