Blue Jays Discussion: September Call-ups & Meaningful Baseball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Quintin Berry signed a minor league deal with the Jays. Could be another add to the 40 for pinch running duties down the stretch.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Going on a limb and and sayinhn Dalton is on the Jay's roster from this point forward. No more minor ball for him.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I am under the impression that Pompey has been a disaster in the field this year in Buffalo.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Does Pompey make the playoff roster this year? Probably not. Unless they go with Bautista as the DH primarily in a playoff situation. Then you would have Upton starting and Pompey on the bench. But even then, they have Zeke. I forgot about him. So Pompey would need an injury or 2 in order to make the playoff roster.

Last edited:

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Pompey gives us a lot of speed and he was effective as a pinch-runner last year
Does it go beyond that - not sure

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Pompey gives us a lot of speed and he was effective as a pinch-runner last year
Does it go beyond that - not sure

I don't think there is room for him this season. On the bench we would have:

Barney (who can play the OF in a pinch, backup infielder)
Upton (speed off the bench and can also provide some pop, backup OF with lots of experience)
Smoak (backup 1B)
Navi (backup C)

If Bautista is going to DH then Zeke comes in. I don't see room for Dalton this time around, unfortunately.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
You carry 14 position players in the playoffs so there's room for all of those guys. The debate will be Goins v Pompey for the 14th position player spot which Pompey will likely win due to pinch running ability.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
You carry 14 position players in the playoffs so there's room for all of those guys. The debate will be Goins v Pompey for the 14th position player spot which Pompey will likely win due to pinch running ability.

True, and sad considering what Goins meant to this team during last year's playoff run.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios

Upton (speed off the bench and can also provide some pop, backup OF with lots of experience)
Smoak (backup 1B)
Navi (backup C)

If Bautista is going to DH then Zeke comes in. I don't see room for Dalton this time around, unfortunately.

Come playoffs, I feel like Upton should start in LF, Saunders in RF, Pillar at CF and Bautista at DH. I don't feel like Zeke bring anything to this team. His play has come crashing down to earth and even defensively, I have more confidence in Barney than him.

I'd have a bench of Barney, Smoak, Navarro, Pompey, Goins

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Where did you hear that? He's always had a good reputation, so that's pretty disappointing.

I read an article the other day that he's had problems with focussing. Like if he makes a mistake whether in the field or has a bad at bat he takes that to the other side of the ball and it compounds to other mistakes. The article said someone in the organization went down to Buffalo and helped with that a little bit. I'm not sure if it's gotten better or not, or how bad exactly he's been in the field though.

Not sure where I got that article from maybe it was posted here.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
For the life of me, I cant find the montage of errors he has made in CF from this year that I saw a couple weeks ago. It looked like Colabello trying to play LF last year bad.

Edit: I can only find 3 gifs from a game back in August lol.

3oD3YypshPxid2r1Cw.gif

l3UcqcYWgdp8Z3tS0.gif

3oD3YzebirqcogNK3m.gif

Last edited:

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Oh geez! That was all the same game? That must have been awful for him. Pretty hilarious though.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Orioles are hosting the Yankees throughout this American Labor Day weekend.

BOS/BAL or BOS/NYY for WC 2016?

BOS/NYY

Hope the Yankees win .. They scare me the least out of the three teams right now.

Would love to see the O's fall out of it .. Their offense can still slug it out, especially at the Rogers Centre if it came to a head to head match up ... And the Red Sox have some weird Ortiz magic going for that entire team that I would like to avoid.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Smoak (backup 1B)
Navi (backup C)

Yeah it is going to be a problem getting him AB's. A good problem to have I suppose.
And if there's any injuries........

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
True, and sad considering what Goins meant to this team during last year's playoff run.

Goins not only was a black hole at the plate in the playoffs, but also missed a pop up that probably cost us an AL championship.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I am under the impression that Pompey has been a disaster in the field this year in Buffalo.

I was led to believe its far less about the talent and tools (range\reads) than it is about concentration. Which isn't too surprising out of a 23 year old who likely thought he'd be in the majors full time as early as last year.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Goins not only was a black hole at the plate in the playoffs, but also missed a pop up that probably cost us an AL championship.

Yea that one that Bautista called him off and then threw him under the bus in the post game?

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I was led to believe its far less about the talent and tools (range\reads) than it is about concentration. Which isn't too surprising out of a 23 year old who likely thought he'd be in the majors full time as early as last year.

I agree, it likely explains why he was kept down at AAA for the entire season and why he might start next year back in Buffalo.

I was more or less trying to justify to the boxscore scouts why he hasn't been called up when everyone was expecting him up as the first OF call up when Jose and Pillar got hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad