#Senswatch Part III: A Night at the Opera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Hilarious because I was one of the few that argued PAY him... Don't let that get into your sad crusade though. I like both players and didn't think either was the problem.

Also lol at addiction all things considered.
As it turns out both were the problem.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
FTR I won't be surprised at all if Duchene re-signs long-term in Ottawa. I'm sure people will pounce on the "rebuild" comments he made but I think those have largely been taken out of context anyway.

I would.

Yeah, **** that Uber driver for sure. I feel bad for the players, they we're doing what all players in their situation do, they just got unlucky enough to have it aired in public while playing for a Canadian team.

I don't get people getting mad at the Uber driver. I mean, was it a shady thing to do to release the video (on the 1 year anniversary of the Duchene trade, no less!) yeah probably. [he could be a hardcore Avs fan for all we know]

But the thing is that these NHL players are supposed to be PROFESSIONALS. They are sure being paid like it. So if you're going to invite a STRANGER to be part of your conversation and you're expecting a cab driver or a bartender to be sworn to secrecy by some sort of hippocratic oath or attorney-client privilege, you're completely out to lunch and delusional. They have to be smarter than that.

This is 100% on the players for being unprofessional.

This could end up costing Matt Duchene a whole lot of money. This is a snippet from that article on TSN.ca from yesterday on the 1 year anniversary of the Duchene trade :

The Senators have fallen off a cliff since Duchene’s arrival, but it seems disingenuous to lay the blame for their demise at his feet. It feels more coincidental than anything else.

Is it? We have TWO examples now of Duchene leaving a bad situation to a good one and then it becomes a bad situation. The bad situation he initially left almost instantly becomes a good one. Is it really coincidental? I'm not sure that it is.

After seeing that video that includes a bunch of youngsters, I don't know how many top teams are going to eagerly want to add that guy to their lineup...especially after seeing what his addition meant to the senators last fall. When I think of contending teams, I don't know if they want that guy after seeing that. When I think of rebuilding teams, I don't know if they want that guy after seeing the video. Will be interesting to see. :popcorn:

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Duchene's way of demanding a trade, and trying to assure it doesn't take all year.

Paid the Uber driver to release the video.

Now that I think about, that should be his official stance by his agent. It's probably his only way to save face.

Reactions: Tommy G

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
Yeah , how my opinion of Duchene has changed over the past couple years.
I never liked the 30 goal celebration either . As soon as he did it I was like wtf
I was never that mad about the 30 point celebration. Imo it was a personal achievement and he was happy he got that bonus. I think Roy and the media (and some of you guys) took it way to personally. Dutchy is obviously frustrated with the Sens and rightfully so. If our team was the dumpster fire that the Sens are I wouldn't be mad at our team speaking there mind in what they thought was a basically a private conversation. Just my humble opinion on the matter.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I was never that mad about the 30 point celebration. Imo it was a personal achievement and he was happy he got that bonus. I think Roy and the media (and some of you guys) took it way to personally. Dutchy is obviously frustrated with the Sens and rightfully so. If our team was the dumpster fire that the Sens are I wouldn't be mad at our team speaking there mind in what they thought was a basically a private conversation. Just my humble opinion on the matter.

Do you really think Roy would have gone after Duchene's celebration if there wasn't something behind it? Duchene is more concerned about himself than being a part of a team. This can't be the first time Mr. I haven't paid attention in 3 weeks has pulled this stunt.

As I said earlier... talk and chatter isn't unusual in any locker room. They are never the gleaming beacon of positivity, but there is a level of respect between teammates and coaches that you have to have to have a winning team. If it isn't there, no amount of talent can overcome the lack of respect.

Expanding on this point... Mike Babcock is probably the most unliked coach by players in the league. Every player I have ever talked to that has played under him, absolutely despises him... but very consistently each one of those players would tell you that they respected his ability and he consistently got the team ready to play their best hockey night in and night out. A healthy hate of your coach can galvanize a team, you still have to respect that coach though.

Last edited:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
tenor.gif

Nice of that uber driver to get us a gift.:sarcasm:

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I’m always amazed how Duchene still has people who back him up over and over again. He’s like Tebow ( with more talent ). He should have never gotten a pass for that 30 goal celebration. I’m so glad I don’t have to see the monkey off the back meme anymore either. It has been episode after episode since he drank too much vodka at the All Star game. After all of these years I expected him to grow up a little bit, but this shows he hasn’t in my view. Somehow he continues to play the victim, now it’s the Uber drivers’ fault in fans’ eyes.......lol.
Good riddance.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
It's still wild to me that it's Duchene in a car with a bunch of rookies, prospects, and new guys, with the only other vet being the other ringleader here. It's one thing to have a problem and vent about coaches, or to sort of commiserate with younger guys to relate to them. But the arrogance and disrespect on display there is incredible, and the fact that the kids don't really join in says a lot to me.

From the front office point of view, you want to preach a rebuild and development and giving the keys over to the kids...and this is who you want wearing an A around them? This is the kind of leadership you want?

I never gave it much thought at the time, but giving Duchene that letter to share with MacKinnon really was another Bednar blunder from that 16-17 year. The fact that he took it back in 17-18 (and caught heat from it from Canadian media) is more proof that he really caught on to the pulse of that locker room eventually and fixed an ugly relationship.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'm more curious how a gem of a team who keeps on delivering and whom 1st round pick we own turned into a bickering match among ourselves?

Of Senators five wins on the season, only one has come on the road which was against the Maple Leafs - a game where Toronto sleepwalked through the entire match.

Reactions: 5280

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I'm more curious how a gem of a team who keeps on delivering and whom 1st round pick we own turned into a bickering match among ourselves?

Of Senators five wins on the season, only one has come on the road which was against the Maple Leafs - a game where Toronto sleepwalked through the entire match.
Yeah, good point. No reason to open up that old can of worms anymore. Lets focus on the matter at hand which is the draft pick. This can't do anything but help out our chances of getting a higher draft pick, here.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
People talk about the players looking bad and the uber driver being a piece of **** but yeah, that video ****ing sucks for Raymond. Imagine how awkward it will be for him to do his job now. I bet he will consider resigning but assistant coaches usually need their jobs to pay the bills.

I hope he doesn't, I wouldn't. I'd show up and go about my business as usual, knowing full well those dipshits are feeling embarrassed as all hell. No, don't resign, make them fire you if necessary but don't slink off.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I haven't heard great things about Wideman and this further proves it, they should waive him and do what we did with JC asking him to stay at home. Duchene should be traded asap, I know the coaches there aren't great, but you can't let this slide because you'll get burned.

They can't trade him now, but I think they will eventually. The window to re-sign, if there was one, has now been slammed shut.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Can anyone ever imagine Landy saying anything like this even if it is true publicly? I dont think Duchene knows how to spell L E A D E R.

I dont blame the Uber driver at all. You're in his car and we've all heard the horror stories about girls claiming rape or whatever crazy crap to get a free ride. They better have cameras in their car. And he's obviously not making huge money or else he wouldnt be driving for Uber. So he probably tossed it to TSN or whoever and made a nice chunk of change. Brilliant on his part.

Reactions: New Scotlander

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Can anyone ever imagine Landy saying anything like this even if it is true publicly? I dont think Duchene knows how to spell L E A D E R.

I dont blame the Uber driver at all. You're in his car and we've all heard the horror stories about girls claiming rape or whatever crazy crap to get a free ride. They better have cameras in their car. And he's obviously not making huge money or else he wouldnt be driving for Uber. So he probably tossed it to TSN or whoever and made a nice chunk of change. Brilliant on his part.

Doesn’t mean the driver isn’t a dick still. Just up and revealing someone’s conversation without consent is a pretty shitty thing to do, especially for a quick buck. Both parties are clearly in the wrong here.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Doesn’t mean the driver isn’t a dick still. Just up and revealing someone’s conversation without consent is a pretty ****ty thing to do, especially for a quick buck. Both parties are clearly in the wrong here.
Yeah, as a driver, I don't approve. There may be legal consequences as well.

Reactions: Tommy G

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
We simply don't know how they treated the driver either... maybe the stiffed him on a tip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce