#Senswatch Part III: A Night at the Opera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I don't think you guys are arrogant, it's all in good fun IMO. We would have a similar thread I assume if the shoe was on the other foot. It's not like fans can control who has or doesn't have picks.

I will say, as a big Anderson fan, and knowing Avs fans history and many of them not liking Anderson, I would find it funny if he continues to roll up these +.970 save pct. games and you guys get screwed out of a better pick. :D
He's pretty much the only unlikeable guy there for me. I know Boro isn't popular among the fanbase, but to an outsider, he is pretty much irrelevant. Other players of yours (most notably Chabot) are really fun to watch and in general, the team looks to play an entertaining brand of hockey so far.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I am a Sens fan and I hate Anderson

Just to point out though, The Sens do hold multiple people's 1st rounders this year and we have no threads on those

I think our fanbase, like most others here, has people on both ends of the spectrum. Some don't care all that much where the pick will end up and don't cheer against the Sens, some (like the guy above) are doing the opposite. Being a fan of a team whose management has made it irrelevant in the grand scheme of things and has been sabotaging it for over 50 years (alienating fans on multiple occasions, shady business dealing, acting like you are better than everyone etc) I have quite a bit of compassion for what Melnyk is doing to you guys.

PS

As I said the other day, I want you guys to win every single game you play against Central teams (apart from against us obviously), and I want you to absolutely curb stomp the Mild and the Leafs every single time you play them.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
He's pretty much the only unlikeable guy there for me. I know Boro isn't popular among the fanbase, but to an outsider, he is pretty much irrelevant. Other players of yours (most notably Chabot) are really fun to watch and in general, the team looks to play an entertaining brand of hockey so far.

I think Boro is hated because he causes us to be hemmed in our own zone constantly. I don't mind him as a 7th D but he plays way more than he needs to IMO.

Chabot is awesome, but he's due for a new contract in 2 years, so I wonder where he is gonna get traded to. :D

Reactions: Ivan13

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
I checked the schedule .. I was hoping the Sens last game was against someone in Colorado's division. It would be irony if they needed the Sens to win that game in order to guarantee the Avs a playoff spot.. unfortunately it is not :D

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Wait was the Brassard deal for last year's first?? LOL I think it was

We hold SJ 1st rounder if they miss the playoffs this year.. it becomes next years if they get into the playoffs

So what you're saying is we don't have a first this year. Don't mind us Colorado fans, just hijacking your thread. I'll stop posting now since we're probably getting annoying. Tell TheMarsVolchenkov I said hello and good luck on your season!

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Wait was the Brassard deal for last year's first?? LOL I think it was

We hold SJ 1st rounder if they miss the playoffs this year.. it becomes next years if they get into the playoffs

I reckon you not having that thread has a lot to do with the fact that those teams aren't expected to be bad. Everything that went wrong in Ottawa has a lot of people thinking we are getting a top 5 pick, or at worst - for you guys - a chance to draft the best forward since McDavid.

Reactions: Tommy G

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
I reckon you not having that thread has a lot to do with the fact that those teams aren't expected to be bad. Everything that went wrong in Ottawa has a lot of people thinking we are getting a top 5 pick, or at worst - for you guys - a chance to draft the best forward since McDavid.

Probably right on that BUT

We already drafted the best forward since McDavid his name is Brady Tkachuk ;)

Reactions: LieutenantDangle

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
So what you're saying is we don't have a first this year. Don't mind us Colorado fans, just hijacking your thread. I'll stop posting now since we're probably getting annoying. Tell TheMarsVolchenkov I said hello and good luck on your season!
Hope Sent fans don't actually feel this way. After all, this is a thread dedicated to the Senators. I would like to think whether the Sens are in the bottom 5 or locking down a playoff spot, their fans are welcome in here.

It is kind of funny that it is the Avs who hold this pick over the Sens head, because the franchises aren't that dissimilar.

Over the last 10 years, the Avs have:
-been accused of being a cap floor team/cheap owner
-Traded a "Norris defenceman" and "high end powerforward" for a 1st overall bust.
-Traded their 1st round pick in the summer immediately after picking 3rd overall.
-Let their 1st franchise forward since Sakic walk in free agency
-Traded one of their best forwards over a contract dispute- which included sitting out, Signing in Russia, narrowly avoiding arbitration with a last second deal that took O'Reilly straight to UFA.
-Traded their other franchise forward who was tired of losing and wanted out.
-Took arguably their best defenceman through arbitration
-Was looking like they had picked a mediocre 1st overall player.
-Had their franchise legend Coach quit on the team weeks before training camp
-Had the worst season in the NHL since mid-90s.
-Lost the draft lottery and fell from 1st overall to 4th overall.

Things were pretty dark looking, then MacKinnon-Landeskog-Rantanen basically turned everything around. Young talent, and a tight knit locker room make a world of a difference, and it looks like the Sens may have that as well. For the year, I hope not, but it is certainly an encouraging turnaround from last year.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I am a Sens fan and I hate Anderson

Just to point out though, The Sens do hold multiple people's 1st rounders this year and we have no threads on those

To be fair though, big difference between you guys and the Sharks. Last time a team had the 1st round pick of a bottom team was Washington and Toronto with the Varly/Kessel trades. It's so rare and exciting of an idea it's hard not to get wrapped up in the idea of free franchise changing talent.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I imagine that if 2/3 through the season the Sens are in a playoff spot or close, this thread won't still be going, or at least going very strong. We'll have accepted our fate by that point.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I remember when we had the Blues 1st round pick from the EJ trade, which was top 10 protected, and I was ecstatic that they finished 11th last! The best case scenario, that allowed us to draft Duncan Siemens...

I was happy about the 11th pick too. Would've preferred Murphy who I think will be an NHL D.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
If all we get is a top 15 pick, the trade is still a huge win for us. Either way, we are going to be watching the team closely, and having it all in this thread (where Sens fans are welcome) seems like the best thing to do.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I was happy about the 11th pick too. Would've preferred Murphy who I think will be an NHL D.
I mean, he's 25, he didn't start up this season and he's never spent a full season without playing in the minors. Basically he's not on pace for Mark Barberio's career.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I can't get over how good Lajoie already is. 20 years old, first six games in the NHL and in three of them he already played longer than 21 minutes. Four goals, seven points and just impressive defensively especially considering his age and lack of experience. When did he become this good?

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Glad to see you Duchene! I was a big fan of yours. Too bad you left to the Sens; you went from a sunken treasure to a sinking ship.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I can't get over how good Lajoie already is. 20 years old, first six games in the NHL and in three of them he already played longer than 21 minutes. Four goals, seven points and just impressive defensively especially considering his age and lack of experience. When did he become this good?
Scored 1 goal in 56 AHL games and his career high in junior was 8. I haven’t watched the Sens much this year but I can’t help but think luck is on his side.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I'd like to point out that this thread (for me anyways) isn't about any senators fans at all but more about the owner and the GM who were so smug when they dealt with us the past year and a half...even calling out our GM in the media.

So for that, they deserve their full helping of karma. I think this thread is fine and it's all in good fun. I did see the website that a guy made and while it's really well done, I think it's over the top and unnecessary.

All things being equal, if the senators cannot re-sign the likes of Duchene, Stone and Anderson I'm sure they'll be sold to the highest bidder at the trade deadline which could very well make the last quarter of the season a real challenge to pick-up points.

In the end, the Avs are probably going to end up with a Top-1o pick that has decent odds at being a Top-3 lottery pick and who knows what the hockey gods have in store for melnyk and dorion at that point?

Tkachooook

Oct 16, 2018
I'd like to point out that this thread (for me anyways) isn't about any senators fans at all but more about the owner and the GM who were so smug when they dealt with us the past year and a half...even calling out our GM in the media.

So for that, they deserve their full helping of karma. I think this thread is fine and it's all in good fun. I did see the website that a guy made and while it's really well done, I think it's over the top and unnecessary.

All things being equal, if the senators cannot re-sign the likes of Duchene, Stone and Anderson I'm sure they'll be sold to the highest bidder at the trade deadline which could very well make the last quarter of the season a real challenge to pick-up points.

In the end, the Avs are probably going to end up with a Top-1o pick that has decent odds at being a Top-3 lottery pick and who knows what the hockey gods have in store for melnyk and dorion at that point?

I'm sorry I'm confused on what dorion and Melnyk (who we hate) did? What do you mean smug?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad