Dreger: Sense around the league a few clubs are strongly considering an offer sheet on Marner, Aho, Connor

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Unless someone offers any RFA over 11 million per year + , ever team matches easily. Even then a few teams match anyways.
In that case, teams could just offer significantly above the market value, and they'd get a rival's team to overpay.

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
I doubt it will happen but if teams really want to force someones hand and push for a trade they can threaten big money for 4 or 5 years that walks a guy right up to free agency. 10.5x4 would be matchable for some teams but would be their least favored scenario.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
As a habs fan i dont think any rfa is worth 4 1st round picks - not Marner, Aho, Point etc

But id be lying if i said i cared - i dont. I want to see it happen lol. Would be grandiose

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
In that case, teams could just offer significantly above the market value, and they'd get a rival's team to overpay.
They could and anger a peer. Then “what goes around, comes around” comes into affect. Typically it would come back around to you at the most inopportune time.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Offer sheet Marner to some ridiculous 14 million a year contract, the Leafs will match and then have to trade Kadri away.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
It would take a 4 1st offer sheet for Bolts not to match for Point, even if he signed it.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I doubt it will happen but if teams really want to force someones hand and push for a trade they can threaten big money for 4 or 5 years that walks a guy right up to free agency. 10.5x4 would be matchable for some teams but would be their least favored scenario.
And if someone does that for Aho we match and know that we are negotiating his next deal sooner.

Literally that's all we are working out right now. We are only working out term, not money, he wants shorter to reach UFA sooner, we want longer to delay past our other expiring deals. (No that earlier report was misleading as it was from Oct before the season started, not recent) If you sheet him, you're just getting the negotiating out of the way for us.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So why don’t just sign your guys before risking an offersheet?
Because You can’t just force a guy to sign. All these guys are waiting it out until one of them signs and/or a team makes an offer (even if they don’t sign the offer sheet) as leverage in their negotiations. Makes perfect sense.

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
At what point would the jets be hard pressed (whether financially or because compensation is too rich to pass on) to match a Connor offer sheet?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
History suggests they aren't much risk.

Player agents are trying to make this a thing, some media have picked up on it and HFers who want to see something potentially bad happening to a team they don't like have shamelessly embraced and made love to it.

But really, it's not a thing.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

At least in Aho's case, what's separating them is term. The team wants him long-term (7-8), Aho's camp wants a 5-year deal. It's all negotiation tactics.

Thus, offer sheeting him won't do much good, since whatever length of time the offer sheet may be is fine with everyone involved.

Reactions: Tryamw

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
That would be my move too. It is a great scenario for the players to get one huge paycheck now and a bigger one in 4 years.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
More hard-hitting Intel from Dregs, courtesy of his "sources". :laugh:

"Hey guys, I think some of the 31 teams in the league like those highly skilled RFAs and wouldn't mind signing them to a contract."

YOU DON'T SAY?!

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Retaliation is only a problem if you don't take care of your business and leave your RFAs exposed without a deal.

And if someone wants to give Hischier +10M a year just because they're butt hurt I'll gladly take the picks.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

909D26CC-D803-4825-A4CF-7C2FDDE62E88.gif

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad