Post-Game Talk: Sens @ Wings - Oct 23, 2013

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
This game shows lot of positives and some negatives too. But one thing bothers me.
Can someone, please, remind me - Why we have Michalek and Greening ? Seriously, whats a purpose ?

I wonder the same thing, I just keep saying to myself they are good defensively. Which is the new term for I'm not sure what there doing ! We don't have two lines we have Spezza and the second line.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I wonder the same thing, I just keep saying to myself they are good defensively. Which is the new term for I'm not sure what there doing ! We don't have two lines we have Spezza and the second line.

Well....look at the overall amount of talent in the league. There's no way in the world all 30 teams are going to have 4 strong lines. We're lucky to see 3 - 4 'complete' teams in this league.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
first, congrats on the win. no question who deserved to win.

If you want to single out "old guys who are taking up roster spots that should go to kids", you can start that list with Dan Cleary, Johan Franzen, and Stephen Weiss. Alfie is their 3rd leading scorer, he's not "holding anyone down".

Also: if you want to look at "keeping the kids down" problems, you can look at the front office and their choice of which "young guys" get opportunities: Why does Luke Glendenning have 5 games this year, while younger & more talented guys (Nyquist, Jarnkrok, Pullkinen, Jurco) toil away in the AHL? You could say the same thing for Drew Miller, Tootoo, Mikael Samuelsson, and Joaqim Andersson.

They got 99 problems, but an Alf ain't one.

alfie is not holding anyone down, that's correct.

but he hasn't been as good as he's point totals really suggest. he's been getting assists on pp and/or with datsyuk and zetterberg but that's it. good to very good d but not great. zone entries not good, has fumbled the puck way too much for my liking. obviously almost everyone was really flat last night from wings but imo, alfie didn't have that bad game. he's been better for sure but not by very much.

nyquist should definitely be up, yes, should have been up last year. andersson is with big club because he's big and he's center. jurco, pulkkinen and järnkrok aren't ready yet. the last two may not be ready even next year, and pulkkinen maybe never.

Not saying it's just #11, but there's definitely a change in philosophy in that organization for the past few months. You never know what those kinds of things do in a locker room, or how it plays in the heads of some of the guys.

what do you mean with that?

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Babcock probably said "these guys want this win way more than us so lets go out and not over extend ourselves. This is not the playoffs and we don't have anything to prove. When the time is right we will show them what we can do."

Zero chance that this happened.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Well....look at the overall amount of talent in the league. There's no way in the world all 30 teams are going to have 4 strong lines. We're lucky to see 3 - 4 'complete' teams in this league.

I don't disagree with you, and if you had all that talent you couldn't afford to pay them with the cap system. In fairness It looks difficult to play with Spezza he is so creative. I have wanted to see from the beginning a third line with Zibanejad and Conacher who cares who skates with Spezza he will carry the line himself.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
what do you mean with that?

The Wings aren't exactly known for being big players in the free agent market. All of a sudden, they bring in 2 this past summer, and went a little bit flippy-floppy with Cleary.

It does feel like there is a culture shift in the post-Lidstrom era taking place.

As well as the Sens played last night (obviously our bet game of the season), it was equally stinky by Detroit. Quite frankly, I can't remember the last time Detroit played a stinky game. They are usually as consistent as the tides.

Something just feels different. Been trying all night to catch wind of it, but the Wings are definitely in a shift right now.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Not saying it's just #11, but there's definitely a change in philosophy in that organization for the past few months. You never know what those kinds of things do in a locker room, or how it plays in the heads of some of the guys.

Detroit signs an aging star pretty much every year. This isn't a new thing for the players on that team. They just played a bad game.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
The Wings aren't exactly known for being big players in the free agent market. All of a sudden, they bring in 2 this past summer, and went a little bit flippy-floppy with Cleary.

that is bc holland has failed many times in free agency. he went hard after suter last year. made offer for parise.

wings also haven't had much cap space before last two summers.

wings wouldn't have made big splash if filppula, cleary and brunner had accepted offers that holland made to them; no cap space.

they made offer for cleary before fa but cleary thought that wasn't enough.

As well as the Sens played last night (obviously our bet game of the season), it was equally stinky by Detroit. Quite frankly, I can't remember the last time Detroit played a stinky game. They are usually as consistent as the tides.

first boston game this year was almost as bad. as well as the last phoenix game after first period.

many games last season. against hawks that 7-1 stinker on gordie howe's birthday iirc.. almost all of jackets series.. couple of flames games etc.

Something just feels different. Been trying all night to catch wind of it, but the Wings are definitely in a shift right now.

fair enough. there is shift imo, too.. not just sure to which direction.

John Holmes*

Babcock probably said "these guys want this win way more than us so lets go out and not over extend ourselves. This is not the playoffs and we don't have anything to prove. When the time is right we will show them what we can do."

Nominated for the stupidest post in the history of hfboards.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Despite our "slow" start, Spezza is tied for second in Goals, and Ryan is tied for third.

Spezza is on pace for 70 goals, Ryan 55. :laugh:

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
When was the last time we had 2 productive lines?

Let's be honest here, our first line still sucks balls offensively. It's all Spezza right now. Both his goals had Defencemen assists on them and to score his his second goal he had to play with the boards. Just shows how bad his linemates are.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Let's be honest here, our first line still sucks balls offensively. It's all Spezza right now. Both his goals had Defencemen assists on them and to score his his second goal he had to play with the boards. Just shows how bad his linemates are.

I think Spezza's goal totals are vindictive of his poor line-mates. He doesn't feel as if they can score, so he takes it upon himself to shoot.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Greening on the top line tomorrow, and Conacher with Zibanejad:

Greening-Spezza-Michalek
MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Conacher-Zibanejad-Neil
Grant-Smith-Condra

GK

Not Jeeks
Apr 2, 2010
Banff

Still on the hunt for a winger.. :(

Healfezza

Sep 9, 2008
Red Deer
Even though Spezza hasn't been able to connect with his usual assist totals with his wingers, I do like how his game has been affected. People are complaining about the wingers not being good enough and although I do agree, having Spezza be able to carry his own line and fill the net is great for us for as the season continues we are more likely to see his linemates get back into gear.

Perhaps this early season will show Spezza that he should shoot more, we all know in the past a notorious knock on him has been that he is pass first when his shot is superb.

I say let Spezza carry his line for now because it just opens the 2nd line to make mincemeat of the opposition and create a threat balance in the bottom 6.

PMac will continue to experiment with the wings on the first line until he is happy, but I think we should continue to expect Michalek there even if he isn't playing well since the coach wants him to play through his slump knowing his is a legitimate scoring threat.

Also if the wingers on Spezza's line keep faltering, won't be long until we finally get to see Zibanejad with Spezza :naughty:

HockeyGuy82

Jan 22, 2011
Ottawa
Really nice game by you guys last night. I'm really happy that Detroit lost too. Everybody thinks that Detroit came to this division with a playoff spot. I hope we send them a message that the East is not easier to get in the playoffs then the West. Also, you guys have been the only Canadian hope to make it somewhere the last few years so Ottawa is my 2nd team for sure (and i live here hehe). Cheers!!

Karl Cowensson

I has cheezburger
Oct 27, 2008
Northern Ontario
Michalek is the streakest scorer we have. He's gonna piss the hell out of people than score ten goals out of no where, then go 20 games with nothing. He'll get his 30, it's just not going to be consistent.

Healfezza

Sep 9, 2008
Red Deer
Michalek is the streakest scorer we have. He's gonna piss the hell out of people than score ten goals out of no where, then go 20 games with nothing. He'll get his 30, it's just not going to be consistent.

Yep, and when Michalek gets his burners on an improved Spezza will only make more room for him.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I think Spezza's goal totals are vindictive of his poor line-mates. He doesn't feel as if they can score, so he takes it upon himself to shoot.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Greening on the top line tomorrow, and Conacher with Zibanejad:

Greening-Spezza-Michalek
MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Conacher-Zibanejad-Neil
Grant-Smith-Condra

Sorry to be "that guy", because I enjoy your posts, but the word you're looking for is indicative.

Vindictive is your ex-girlfriend.;)

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Greening-Spezza-Michalek
MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Conacher-Zibanejad-Neil
Grant-Smith-Condra

exactly. put ryan up there with him and watch spezza pass off all his good opportunities.
Also, with spezza handling, carrying the puck so much it gives michalek room to relax a bit and just do the little things creating space and chipping pucks ahead, meanwhile building his confidence. eventually michalek will start getting his front of the net rebound, scramble goals off of spezza plays.
Basically we want spezza rolling and not worrying about his linemates so much. he is too good to try to play other players games. let his linemates fill in the gaps of his game.

Edit: I remember spezza on a tear a couple years ago. He was controlling games every shift. His linemates were greening and butler. they barely did anything. and we liked it.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Spezza's linemates are doing their job sure michalek can score more but greening/conacher and michalek are there to create space. Just go watch his powerplay goal the DET player backs off to watch michalek giving spezza all that space and the screen is produced by greening/conacher usually which is exactly what we need

Milan the God*

Spezza is much better with quick strike players...players who don't need the puck on their sticks for extended periods of time. Ryan is a puck possession player. Michalek and Greening aren't.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Spezza is much better with quick strike players...players who don't need the puck on their sticks for extended periods of time. Ryan is a puck possession player. Michalek and Greening aren't.

I still think Conacher is better than Greening on that line. But we shall see.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
:yo:
Bobby Ryan ‏@b_ryan9 11h
Plane rides are much nicer after a big win in a new rivals building! Great team win, everyone came to play tonight! #Sens
Retweeted by Ottawa Senators

Kyle Turris ‏@kyleturris 11h
Great win for the boys, in one of my favorite rinks to play in. #lovetheJoe #bigW

Craig Anderson ‏@CraigAnderson41 11h
Best game of the year, great barn to play in. Original 6. Good to see @dalfredsson11 and Welcome back @mikazabinejad #sens #oldtimehockey

Erik Karlsson ‏@ErikKarlsson65 11h
Wow, this was a win we really deserved. Well played boys. Couldn't be more proud. #lalala

Derek Grant ‏@DGrant57 11h
Great to get those 2 points tonight! Now back to Ott! #plumbers #painters

Mika Zibanejad ‏@MikaZibanejad 11h
Huge win on the road tonight! Just gotta keep working #allabouttheW #2pts

Zack Smith ‏@Smit_Treat15 12h
Big 2 pts at The Joe. Might have been the new @TheShoelessJoes and @PearlJam tunes that got the boys going. #lightingbolt #themotions

Marc Methot ‏@MarcMethot3 12h
That felt pretty good. Coming back home now w a little more confidence. #Sens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad