Post-Game Talk: Sens @ Wings - Oct 23, 2013

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think what we're seeing with Spezza is him really taking charge of his role. I think he's been guilty in the past of seeing himself only as a great playmaker because he played his early career with two other stars. I think the reality is the same thing you see with Crosby. He is at his best with two crap wingers so all of the action flows through him. Spezza has the ability to control the ice every game and the sooner he realizes that the sooner we're going to see Spezza truly emerge.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Also, I explained the benefits of the universal healthcare system to many people on the way home and credited universal healthcare as the reason we won last night. I stand by my analysis.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I still think Conacher is better than Greening on that line. But we shall see.

I liked the switch by Stache it brought much needed speed to the 3rd line and made them much more effective. It's a move I didn't expect him to make quite like that but I guess he didn't want to touch the 2nd line again and he probably wasn't ready to put Michalek on the 3rd.

One thing we've learned with Conacher is that he plays with the same intensity and drive no matter what line he's on so this is more about balancing lines and not about demoting him. We can fully expect Stache to make more changes if things don't pan out.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I think what we're seeing with Spezza is him really taking charge of his role. I think he's been guilty in the past of seeing himself only as a great playmaker because he played his early career with two other stars. I think the reality is the same thing you see with Crosby. He is at his best with two crap wingers so all of the action flows through him. Spezza has the ability to control the ice every game and the sooner he realizes that the sooner we're going to see Spezza truly emerge.

I don't know if spezza can really carry a whole line by himself though. Just doesnt look consistently explosive or beat defenders one v one with physicality.

take a peek

Mar 4, 2007
Truly believe this was a huge win for the team...I think it really did boost their confidence big time.

They can move on now, knowing what they can do when their game comes together without the old captain.

Imagine a poorly played loss with Alfie getting a couple....then head into the next 3 games....I think it coulda of been the season....:help:

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
I don't know if spezza can really carry a whole line by himself though. Just doesnt look consistently explosive or beat defenders one v one with physicality.
Well if you look at his stats the past half a decade, it's near ppg while carrying every line by himself. When Michalek is the best winger on his line, Spezza is dragging that line.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Really nice to get a blow out win. Probably gave the guys a lot of confidence. Gotta think like a top team to be a top team.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
I liked the switch by Stache it brought much needed speed to the 3rd line and made them much more effective. It's a move I didn't expect him to make quite like that but I guess he didn't want to touch the 2nd line again and he probably wasn't ready to put Michalek on the 3rd.

One thing we've learned with Conacher is that he plays with the same intensity and drive no matter what line he's on so this is more about balancing lines and not about demoting him. We can fully expect Stache to make more changes if things don't pan out.

I liked the balanced lines as well but we haven't seen the last of Conacher on the first line, I wouldn't doubt that Conacher starts next game on the first line. I think we will see Conacher and Greening both on that line depending on the score and match ups.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012

As long as Conacher/Greening are taking defenders to the net they are helping create room for Spezza, he obviously has some help. But like Ryan I think Conacher is being wasted somewhat being used with Spezza. He is very creative offensively but doesn't show it when he is with Spezza.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
They gave him tons of room on that first one because he's expected to pass.

That was an absolutely lethal set up.

1)Spezza on the boards
2)Phillips at the point with left handed shot ready for heavy one-timer so they had to back off Spezza a bit to respect his shot
3)Karlsson waiting backdoor inbetween the players mentioned above which backed off Detroit defenders even more
4)Big body infront of the net
5)Pylon(michalek) :sarcasm: im being cereal.

He's like a more annoying Dean McAmmond.

Man I loved McAmmond :(

Nominated for the stupidest post in the history of hfboards.

Lmfaooooooo

Golden

Haven't we suffered enough?
May 3, 2007
I was thrilled to come home and see the score last night. This is the kind of game that in the past we'd come out flat and lose spectacularly. It was nice to see the shoe on the other foot for once.

Most importantly we get two very much needed points. Hopefully they can build off this win and gain some confidence from it. Also, it was very nice to see the powerplay click.

sens613

Apr 12, 2012
I really don't see a long term coach willingly giving up 2 points that easily. And let's not forget, that would also be a slap in the face of Alfredsson. You'd think he, and Alfredsson, would want to show conclusively that Alfie made the right choice and cement their status as contenders in the East. Remember, they're also the new kids in the conference, they want to establish themselves early and get momentum.

It's just very odd, that for so many years the Wings built so much from within and had a philosophy, and then this offseason willingly parachute in 2 UFAs, and were about to let long-time member Cleary walk. Very, very different way of doing things compared to the last two decades. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it really hurts the culture of the team. (Heck, look at what the Nash trade did to the Rangers. It was like dropping a nuke on that team.)

Ya... either your conspiracy theory based on nothing or detroit had a bad game cause that happens from time to time.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Has anyone thought of the possibility that, you know, Ottawa took Detroit off their game as opposed to Detroit just playing badly? I've watched a few of their games this year and they are not an overly dominant team to begin with. Ottawa stepping up and really controlling the play had more to do with the Ottawa team than the Detroit team IMO.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Has anyone thought of the possibility that, you know, Ottawa took Detroit off their game as opposed to Detroit just playing badly? I've watched a few of their games this year and they are not an overly dominant team to begin with. Ottawa stepping up and really controlling the play had more to do with the Ottawa team than the Detroit team IMO.

We're also forgetting that the guy with the mustache behind our bench was instrumental in developing Detroit's offensive system. Maybe...maybe he knew what was coming and coached up the team in practice accordingly to shut them down. It seemed like the Sens read everything on the ice.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012

Detroit was playing poorly. But Ottawa came out with fight. So I think initially Ottawa took Detroit off their game, and then Detroit just never fought back.

This is the Ottawa team I expected to see this year, and I hope it continues.

First off, love the switches made. Conacher really adds speed to whatever line he's on, and gave Neil and Smith some great chances. Happy with him on the team and he truly makes any line better.

Second off, this team had far better faceoffs and defensive play. I've watched most of the games, and they didn't stand around after losing a faceoff this time around. They fought in the corners, they worked hard in the defensive zone and while there were a few mistakes, they worked SO much harder defensively.

Glad to see Zibanejad up, and playing well. Loving that Turris line. Absolutely great line. Ryan is everywhere. And just love his team work and work ethic -- he worked so hard, and him with MacArthur incident, it was amazing. I am slowly falling in love with Ryan.

Karlsson was much improved and has been continually getting better. Which I'm really happy to see.

Woo!

Also, they kept down the penalties, and Turris was drawing them like crazy!

So I'm very happy, and they need to keep it up. This is how you play to win games.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I'm hoping the team turned a corner and this is the real team. We'll see how they do next game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad