Post-Game Talk: Sens Win 5-4 in SO vs Montreal

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I know, and that's why we're now playing Haley and Peca instead of Anisimov.

Paquette and Anisimov got their shot, failed to do anything with it, so they are no longer there.

What exactly is the problem????

All of the players mentioned in your post aren't going to move the needle. Given this realization (could insert the word "obvious" in front of realization), then giving some of the young prospects some ice time to gain experience seems like (and has been) a pretty obvious move.

Haley and Peca have no future here and aren't good, even in a fourth line role. We've spent time and resources developing players like Chlapik and Formenton who are better in a 4th line role and may become something more than just 4th liners.

My problem is I want to see better players who give my team a better chance to win. Those guys aren't Mike Haley and Matt Peca. Plus, those two players would actually be assets to younger players down in AHL Belleville at a level where they can still be decent, or even good, players.

Yep. Concur.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The Sens need to get rid of Stepan, Anisimov, Coburn, Haley, Peca & Reilly asap & then Gudbranson & Dzingel by the TDL. I'd get rid of J. Brown as well but he is signed for another yr & I'd be surprised if anyone wanted him. That frees up about 8 contracts & then they need to promote Formenton & sign when their season is done Crookshank, Novak, Pinto, JBD, Sanderson & maybe even Kleven. Unless Hogberg turns into the goalie he was last yr he could be on a short leash too. Wouldn't hurt to bring over Jarventie for next yr to see what they have in him.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Reillys wasnt? He literally had the worst game I think ive ever seen an Ottawa Senator have.
With Brannstrom and Chabot whats the need for Reilly? Coburn is solid and doesnt make nearly as many mistakes and is much better on the PK. For my 6th D man I want him to be unnoticable for the most part, that is not Reilly's MO.
Yesterday. Reilly wasn’t that bad. Sunday yeah he was terrible and should have come out. But coburn will not be better than truly over any legit sample size.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Lol

upload_2021-2-24_14-54-1.png

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
I disagree. IMO, the refs should blow the play dead after someone interferes with the goalie.
It shouldve been blown dead when Gally cut through the crease like an idiot when all he had to do was take a different cut.

but since they didnt call anything, making a call 6 secs later is dumb in my humble opinion and switch sides id be pissed. That being said I wont complain about a call going against Gallagher.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Lots of opposing players and coaches saying Ottawa is a well coached team that never quits - DJ getting respect league wide

Have to give DJ some credit, I wanted all the coaches sacked during that western road trip from hell but they have turned things around. Improved goaltending has helped as well.

Reactions: Emrasie and Smeddy

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
It shouldve been blown dead when Gally cut through the crease like an idiot when all he had to do was take a different cut.

but since they didnt call anything, making a call 6 secs later is dumb in my humble opinion and switch sides id be pissed. That being said I wont complain about a call going against Gallagher.

The refs may not have seen the interference, goals scored in the last minute of the game are reviewed by head office. I am biased but agree with the call made.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The refs may not have seen the interference, goals scored in the last minute of the game are reviewed by head office. I am biased but agree with the call made.
I would be livid if I were on the other side of the call. If it were a playoff game I'd be calling it a total sham.

Gallagher, as much as I hate him and don't entirely agree with his assessment, made a good point after the game in the midst of his whining. At what point is it up to the goalie to attempt to reset himself? Or does he just get to keep not trying on the hope the play is called or time expires?

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
I would be livid if I were on the other side of the call. If it were a playoff game I'd be calling it a total sham.

Gallagher, as much as I hate him and don't entirely agree with his assessment, made a good point after the game in the midst of his whining. At what point is it up to the goalie to attempt to reset himself? Or does he just get to keep not trying on the hope the play is called or time expires?

How is that a good point? Murray doesn't need to hustle after he is interfered with. Gallagher is the one who caused the issue. Murray doesn't need to make up for an infraction caused by an opposing player. This is like a burglar saying the car didn't have enough security so he shouldn't be held responsible.

People are acting like the puck went back to Mtl's end and the goal was scored and it was ruled off. It was what less than 4 seconds later and Murray never found the puck again? How about the whistle gets blow immediately and a penalty is given to Gallagher. Then Murray can get reset while Gallagher pouts in the penalty box.

It's a borderline call that went the Sens way, I legitimately don't know how you can see it any other way.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
He has proven to be a lot less stubborn than Boucher with the lineup and has pivoted well after the disastrous start.

This. And Maclean. Both insisted they knew best, and were ready and willing to die on the sword for their beloved role players - despite the warning signs being clear that the world (popular opinion from the team down to the media and fans) was turning against them.

DJ on the other hand has been willing to pivot on players ice time/usage. And while he does have "his special boys" like all coaches seem to, I do believe in earnest that he is doing what he believes is right for the development of the kids and this team.

Clearly he himself has stumbled along the way at few points (by his own admission), but its how he grows and adapts that is the only real thing that matters right now. And as long as we see positive growth from the players that matter most, and keep building a towards having a Boston-like identity of being a hard-ass working team that makes it a real game each night. Then DJ still has my full support.

Seeing the PP and PK come to life has really reignited my belief he could be an awesome coach one day, and that most of our special team woes can be chalked up to personnel (or lack thereof) more than anything.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'd bring up Formenton and insert him into the lineup over Chlapik, Haley, Peca
Haley shouldn't even be an option.
Formenton can still work on his offense with Belleville so not the end of the world. I would have Chlapik in over Haley every day.. I liked Peca last year and he played well in his ONE fn game this year. I think if your a tough guy you get 90% bonus points from DJ right off the bat.

Reactions: SensFactor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad