Post-Game Talk: Sens Win 5-4 in SO vs Montreal

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Maybe you should go look up the records. Here are the records for January:
View attachment 399997

3 of the top 5 forwards in TOI are Tkachuk, Batherson, Norris.

Here are the records for the last 2 weeks:
View attachment 399999

Thachuk has seen a 30 second increase in average icetime. Norris has exactly the same ice time. Batherson has seen a 2:30 decrease in ice time.

The only other major differences for the kids are Stutzle starting slow and having his ice time ramped up as he got more comfortable, which is completely expected and normal for a 18-19yr old kid just starting his career. And Colin White, which I have always been adamant he wasn't being handled properly at the start of the season.

Plus Zub and Brannstrom in for Brown and Coburn. Paquette should have been replaced with Chlapik or Formenton but we've been given a combo of Anisimov, Haley and Peca instead. Overall the team is leaning way more on the young players and less on vets.

It's played a significant role in the improved play of the team.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Thank you for this honestly it helps me prove my point. Paul's ice time is way up, Stepan, Anisimov, coburn and Tierneys is down. Its more than just not playing Stuetzle and White enough. Zub isnt even on the first spread sheet neither is Brannstrom. When did the team start turning it around? When more young players were put in the lineup. Imagine how good the team would be if they got even more young players in the lineup.

It's not even all about replacing bad older players with younger better ones. When you play young players they tend improve as they learn at the NHL level. Look at Norris making strides. Playing early and often seems to be reaping dividends.

Internal improvement was always a possibility with White, Brannstrom, Zub and Stutzle. Not so much with Stepan, Anisimov, Paquette and Coburn.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Brown and Coburn being replaced felt like the turnaround. The D was so slow and immobile with all 3 of Brown, Gud and Coburn in the lineup together. This was also before Reilly put in any decent performances and Chabot struggled, so not a lot positive back there until the pylons were moved out.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
No chance Coburn is worse in a 3rd pairing role. Reilly has had two more really bad games in a row, the other players arent afforded this, not sure why he should get preferential treatment.
Reilly is someone I want replaced ASAP but he moves the puck better than Coburn and defends better than Wolanin

Reactions: DrEasy

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Thank you for this honestly it helps me prove my point. Paul's ice time is way up, Stepan, Anisimov, coburn and Tierneys is down. Its more than just not playing Stuetzle and White enough. Zub isnt even on the first spread sheet neither is Brannstrom. When did the team start turning it around? When more young players were put in the lineup. Imagine how good the team would be if they got even more young players in the lineup.

It proves my point. The better players play more, the less good players play less. It has nothing to do with age. That's literally how things are always done. You're arbitrarily throwing "vet" and "kid" labels around to the point of turning it into a meme. Paul, Tierney, Zub and Wolanin are all basically the same age, they're all 25-26. Paul and Zub have both impressed and have been rewarded. Tierney and Wolanin have not. Batherson has been inconsistent, so his ice time got reduced. Stutzle looks more confident, so his got increased.

You're constantly trying to turn a perfectly normal process of "play well = get rewarded" into "be labeled a kid = get rewarded", which is f***ing absurd and is not how you develop players.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Dorion going ice level for the OT...

I know 12:55 was amazing but I think last night was even better.

I mean Claude Julien is toast this morning because of Brady and Co.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Plus Zub and Brannstrom in for Brown and Coburn. Paquette should have been replaced with Chlapik or Formenton but we've been given a combo of Anisimov, Haley and Peca instead. Overall the team is leaning way more on the young players and less on vets.

It's played a significant role in the improved play of the team.

IMO, the biggest turnaround on D had been Zub for Brown, and Reilly playing much much better, and Wolanin sitting.

I think you're dramatically overstating the impact of the 4th line. Paquette and Anisimov on the 4th was not the problem whatsoever. Bringing in Chlapik is not going to make a difference. I'd like to see Formenton at some point, but I also don't mind seeing him get a bit of time in the AHL to get his legs going. But again, he's not going to make a difference.

Reactions: SensFactor

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
IMO, the biggest turnaround on D had been Zub for Brown, and Reilly playing much much better, and Wolanin sitting.

I think you're dramatically overstating the impact of the 4th line. Paquette and Anisimov on the 4th was not the problem whatsoever. Bringing in Chlapik is not going to make a difference. I'd like to see Formenton at some point, but I also don't mind seeing him get a bit of time in the AHL to get his legs going. But again, he's not going to make a difference.

If the 4th line is not a problem and not going to make a difference, then why did we go out and get 4th line players like Watson, Paquette and Haley?

Fourth lines absolutely matter to teams that want to compete.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
My goodness you have absolutely no clue and a terribly poor memory. The game sheets, with ice time are out there eh. They didnt just dissapear. There are records. Its honestly incredible, you defended the organization to no end even when the team was getting torched. If anything you should be eating crow right now but you actually do the opposite and come in with these remarks like you were right. Embarassing.
Other than waiting a few games too long to play Zub, I think DJ has managed the young players great. Norris and Batherson were given prime spots, Brannstrom became a fixture in the lineup as soon as he could join the team, White is playing great whether it was a wake up call or not that did it. It seems DJ fully understands who the future core is and he is bringing them along well. I’m all ears if you want to talk about some of the poor veteran acquisitions made this off season.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
If the 4th line is not a problem and not going to make a difference, then why did we go out and get 4th line players like Watson, Paquette and Haley?

Fourth lines absolutely matter to teams that want to compete.

Because they matter in ways beyond just scoring points. Any hockey fan know that. The 4th line is supposed to bring energy and presence on and off the ice. That's why we got those guys instead of just playing guys like Balcers and Chlapik.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It proves my point. The better players play more, the less good players play less. It has nothing to do with age. That's literally how things are always done. You're arbitrarily throwing "vet" and "kid" labels around to the point of turning it into a meme. Paul, Tierney, Zub and Wolanin are all basically the same age, they're all 25-26. Paul and Zub have both impressed and have been rewarded. Tierney and Wolanin have not. Batherson has been inconsistent, so his ice time got reduced. Stutzle looks more confident, so his got increased.

You're constantly trying to turn a perfectly normal process of "play well = get rewarded" into "be labeled a kid = get rewarded", which is f***ing absurd and is not how you develop players.
I absolutely dont do that, I was just answering your snide condescending remark.

The 4th line absolutely matters all the best teams in the league role 4. Anisimov and Paquette were getting folded in, glad to see you are sticking to your guns and are bringing up exactly what I was talking about.

Because they matter in ways beyond just scoring points. Any hockey fan know that. The 4th line is supposed to bring energy and presence on and off the ice. That's why we got those guys instead of just playing guys like Balcers and Chlapik.
Chlapik is way more physical than Anisimov and plays with way more pace than Paquette. He literally does what you are talking about better than both those players. Any hockey fan that has been watching this team play would know that.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

LOL.

We needed energy so we played Anisimov and a sedated Paquette for 10 games?

Chlapik brings more energy than either of those players. He's better defensively too.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Brown and Coburn being replaced felt like the turnaround. The D was so slow and immobile with all 3 of Brown, Gud and Coburn in the lineup together. This was also before Reilly put in any decent performances and Chabot struggled, so not a lot positive back there until the pylons were moved out.

It's a part of it, but largely seems like players are more familiar with each other and what they are expected to do. The defensive zone coverage is much improved as a 5 man unit, earlier in the season there was some hesitation on who should apply pressure to the puck in situations and it would really open the ice and cause breakdowns. DZ play has been mostly seamless of late, still have trouble with some of the skill in this division but they do a much better job of taking away time and space. I think that's less to do with personnel than other factors.

I think personnel has made more of a difference in the offensive zone, I think the coaching staff has placed more emphasis on the D pinching down the wall to maintain possession but Zub and Brannstrom are pretty good at it compared to Brown and Coburn.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Reilly is someone I want replaced ASAP but he moves the puck better than Coburn and defends better than Wolanin
Id say the later is debatable, Wolanin wasnt afforded the same mistakes to work through. As I said before I prefer my bottom pair D men to be low risk. You want them to be essentially invisible.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020

Depends which Reilly is on the ice lol. Is it the one who is hitting guys with stretch passes? Or the Reilly who can't make a little 5 foot pass to his partner? Its all part of the Mike Reilly experience!

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
LOL.

We needed energy so we played Anisimov and a sedated Paquette for 10 games?

Chlapik brings more energy than either of those players. He's better defensively too.

I know, and that's why we're now playing Haley and Peca instead of Anisimov.

Paquette and Anisimov got their shot, failed to do anything with it, so they are no longer there.

What exactly is the problem????

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I know, and that's why we're now playing Haley and Peca instead of Anisimov.

Paquette and Anisimov got their shot, failed to do anything with it, so they are no longer there.

What exactly is the problem????

Haley and Peca have no future here and aren't good, even in a fourth line role. We've spent time and resources developing players like Chlapik and Formenton who are better in a 4th line role and may become something more than just 4th liners.

My problem is I want to see better players who give my team a better chance to win. Those guys aren't Mike Haley and Matt Peca. Plus, those two players would actually be assets to younger players down in AHL Belleville at a level where they can still be decent, or even good, players.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
152996409_3527576600684836_272581795629277370_o.jpg

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It's a part of it, but largely seems like players are more familiar with each other and what they are expected to do. The defensive zone coverage is much improved as a 5 man unit, earlier in the season there was some hesitation on who should apply pressure to the puck in situations and it would really open the ice and cause breakdowns. DZ play has been mostly seamless of late, still have trouble with some of the skill in this division but they do a much better job of taking away time and space. I think that's less to do with personnel than other factors.

I think personnel has made more of a difference in the offensive zone, I think the coaching staff has placed more emphasis on the D pinching down the wall to maintain possession but Zub and Brannstrom are pretty good at it compared to Brown and Coburn.
Fair points. Coburn certainly looked better this last time he was used. I think puck movers taking spots from the big less mobile guys helped transition to a more fluid, puck control game over the glass and out leading to turnovers. You're right though, there were a lot of moments early on with big gap control issues including a couple almost comedic lapses on a few occasions that got a lot of attention.

Zub has been a tremendous surprise to all of this as well, I can't give the guy enough credit for coming in and looking comfortable so quickly.

There was also the goaltending that turned around as a pretty important factor to all this.

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad