Post-Game Talk: Sens @ Wild - Jan 14, 2014

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
The team was terrible before Spezza went down, obviously. Zibanjad, conacher, Michaleks points demonstrate why the team started winning. Expect the team to start struggling again, as it is ridiculous to rely on one line to get your points.

That above post would have been better if you actually proved a point, rather than just ignoring the fact that Ziban's line was racking up points without Spezza on the team; now they have gone quiet, while Spezza has 0 even strength points.

Wow, I'm not even sure we are following the same team. The Sens were terrible at the start of the year. About 3-4 games before Spezza went down the team started playing much better, and controlled games more, but still made enough mistakes to lose in the end. Once those mistakes were cleaned up, and they were able to play more consistently, they went on a huge tear. In no way did any of this happen due to one player being in or out of the lineup. Since Spezza has been back we have been able to roll 3-4 lines effectively, with each making a contribution. Even last night Condra scored a huge goal that effectively put the game out of reach.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The team was terrible before Spezza went down, obviously. Zibanjad, conacher, Michaleks points demonstrate why the team started winning. Expect the team to start struggling again, as it is ridiculous to rely on one line to get your points.

That above post would have been better if you actually proved a point, rather than just ignoring the fact that Ziban's line was racking up points without Spezza on the team; now they have gone quiet, while Spezza has 0 even strength points.

conacher zibanejad michalek are still a line. Because a different line has a different player on it shouldn't affect their play

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
Wow, I'm not even sure we are following the same team. The Sens were terrible at the start of the year. About 3-4 games before Spezza went down the team started playing much better, and controlled games more, but still made enough mistakes to lose in the end. Once those mistakes were cleaned up, and they were able to play more consistently, they went on a huge tear. In no way did any of this happen due to one player being in or out of the lineup. Since Spezza has been back we have been able to roll 3-4 lines effectively, with each making a contribution. Even last night Condra scored a huge goal that effectively put the game out of reach.

How many 2 game + win streaks were there?

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
How many 2 game + win streaks were there?

Please start with the assumption that I can't see into your brain right now, and include information about time frame. Two game win streaks when? When we sucked at the start of the year? When we played better for 3-4 games prior to our win streak but found ways to lose? During our current win streak?

Just as a spoiler, the question is equally nonsensical regardless of which of these time frames. Maybe reframe your question?

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
conacher zibanejad michalek are still a line. Because a different line has a different player on it shouldn't affect their play

It does. Ziban is the type of center who actually deserves more minutes. After all that he did after Spezza went down, it would be pretty demotivating to get your minutes reduced, or not increased. But that is where this is heading.

Going back to the crap team who couldn't get three wins in a row, now that Neil is coming back, Spezza is getting first/second line minutes (no points), and Phillips is doing his veteran dance.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
Please start with the assumption that I can't see into your brain right now, and include information about time frame. Two game win streaks when? When we sucked at the start of the year? When we played better for 3-4 games prior to our win streak but found ways to lose? During our current win streak?

Just as a spoiler, the question is equally nonsensical regardless of which of these time frames. Maybe reframe your question?

Your right, it was a total coincidence that the team went on a win streak without key players. The answer is once in November.

The games before the win streak were still awful. Turn overs were as bad as ever.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Spezza has been back for 3 games and they're 2 - 0 - 1 and they've been dominant in all three of them. True signs of struggle IMO.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
Spezza has been back for 3 games and they're 2 - 0 - 1 and they've been dominant in all three of them. True signs of struggle IMO.

As I said, getting those minutes with 0000000.0 points is a sure sign of things to come. I am predicting things are going to go back into the *******. We will see.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
In the 4 games that Spezza was gone our powerplay was 1 for 11 (or 9%) and since he's been back it's 3 for 9 (33%).

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
In the 4 games that Spezza was gone our powerplay was 1 for 11 (or 9%) and since he's been back it's 3 for 9 (33%).

Spezza has been good since coming back from injury. He makes the powerplay much more of a threat. His 5 on 5 is what people question really.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

He was on the ice for 2 of those goals.

I agree that he's a much more dangerous PP player than most but it's one additional PP goal that he can help account for.

I'm glad Spezza is back in the line-up. I just think he still has a ways to go until he's contributing to the level he should be.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Time for my own contribution to this 90's music thematic:

Maybe too classic some would say, but worth the post.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I don't know, our RW depth isn't very nice other than Ryan and Neil doesn't make it much prettier.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
.....*Takes a long hard look in the mirror* "Am I really about to do this?" *Deep breath*

Since Spezza came back he has been consistantly one of the best players on the Ice for Ottawa.....and any argument to the contrary is rubbish.... His play has elevated his heart is in it he's battling he's getting back he's making better decisions with the puck. For god sakes....Did you see him go in and stick up for Cowen on that hit in Nashville? He was ready to fight....Spezza fight for his team mates.....He is playing like the Captain he needs to be.

That being said.... Zibbys stats dropping off is directly linked to Spezzas return because Spezza is getting Offensive zone faceoffs that Zibby had been getting while he was out, but Zibby is still playing rock solid hockey so the points will pick up again.

God am I ever glad to be happy with Spezza......It feels good.:nod:

Appreciate your honest assesment, but Zibanejad has not really lost offensive zone starts because of Spezza,

Over the last 3 games since Spezza's return:

Player| 8 Jan OZ/DZ%| 11 Jan OZ/DZ%| 14 Jan OZ/DZ%
Spezza|40%|40%|35.7%
Zibanejad|85.7%|100%|40%

My guess is that an increase to the 4th lines OZ starts took away from Zibanejad's for this game.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Appreciate your honest assesment, but Zibanejad has not really lost offensive zone starts because of Spezza,

Over the last 3 games since Spezza's return:

Player| 8 Jan OZ/DZ%| 11 Jan OZ/DZ%| 14 Jan OZ/DZ%
Spezza|40%|40%|35.7%
Zibanejad|85.7%|100%|40%

My guess is that an increase to the 4th lines OZ starts took away from Zibanejad's for this game.

Well, that only shows a ratio, no? He could also be losing defensive zone starts.

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
Seriously does all blahblah do is ***** all the time? I swear we could be on a 12 game winning streak and he'd still be *****ing about Spezza/Zibby and other things. Oh btw, Spezza came up big vs Nashville scoring the winning goal. If he doesn't score maybe Nashville ties and wins the shootout. Not to mention Spezza set up Stone for a tap-in who whiffed on the shot. Spezza was our best forward vs Nashville. I also laugh when you say oh his PP goal was no big deal. It only helped tie the game and in the end was a factor in us getting a point.

Zibby is still young so he's going to have his ups and downs still. He's going to have times where he's not producing much. It's pretty stupid and pathetic to say it's because of Spezza he's not producing. If he can't produce with Spezza in the line up then the team may as well trade Zibby.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well, that only shows a ratio, no? He could also be losing defensive zone starts.

fair enough, though I still think the culprit for last night was Smith eating up 21 of the teams 63 faceoffs.

side note, we really sucked at the dot last night with the exception of Smith.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Is it possible to take the entire team right now and use a time machine to go back to the beginning of the season and put this improved team on the ice instead of the monstrosity we had on the ice at the time?

To be honest, they weren't playing that bad... it's just they were finding all ways to lose, they lost several 1 goal games (lost 6 one goal games/SO/OT in the first 12 games!). When people talk about "they were extremely bad", I keep thinking about the Chicago game (6-5 loss), they played very good hockey but every mistake was going in the back of their net. So many frustrating games for them, but they were also their worst enemy

Now they are getting better goaltending and it gives them more confidence. The (very) young defense has stabilized (ceci is a stud so that helps) and they can play more structured. The forwards don't leave the gaps as wide as they were (wtf was that) as they are coming back deeper for the breakout. There's too much skill, speed and anticipation in the NHL to do very long breakouts all the time. Hence, why there was so many turnovers at the beginning of the year.

Also, going down early 2-0 in games really didn't help... And I think they are playing a more "patient" style finally, which help not giving up goals too early. Play catch up hockey is very hard, particularly in that league...

Finally, there was a lot of things to fix such as taking less penalties, be better on face-offs, better breakout strategy... This is like the 2nd youngest team in the NHL... Other very young teams are the Jackets, Jets, Leafs, Oilers, Islanders, Caps, Rangers and Blues. St-Louis is the only team a tier above among that group...

But in the end, I'd rather have an underachieving team who can improve the rest of the year (Sens) than an overachieving team that can sink (Leafs)

Believe me, this team is far better off learning from their mistakes early on and coming into the playoffs scorching hot(well not yet) usually those teams have hit near rock bottom and have cleared away any obstacles and are more closely-nit. Those teams actually create the best runs.

See: Ottawa 07'. Oilers 06'. LA. 10'.

Yup, Sens were 17-18-1 on December 21st 2006, the year they reached the Finals.

Karlson Byfuglien
Ceci Phillips
Gryba Methot
Corvo

Holy cow at the number of goals against.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats....SALL&sort=teamGoalsAgainst&viewName=plusMinus

Note : Jeff Petry is soooo good that despite getting a lot less ice-time, he is 4th in that list...

I can see him taking Kassian's place.

And that's about it at this point.

Neil should play over Greening and Kassian. Only 2 of them should be in the line-up if no injury.

You defeat your own argument....... because Zibbys line has been no more productive but are opperating at a minus over those games...... where as Spezza is an even plus minus...... so no you wont win games if you dont score but youll win even less if you dont score and you get scored on.

Arguments? lol don't think it's the right word... Blablating is not making any arguments.

So true every thread turns into this same old crap. Spezza/Turris/Zibanejad/Smith/Pageau outstanding depth at center all these guys have there strengths and weaknesses and I for one could care who is 1,2,3 what is the big deal people ?

I wonder if Pittsburgh fans were going full dumb mode when they had Crosby, Malkin and Staal?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad