Post-Game Talk: Sens vs. Leafs, Oct. 12 | Game 1 in the books

Status
Not open for further replies.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
When? Right now, he's constantly wasting his efforts on purposeless stickhandling around the perimeter. It looks pretty, but it's meaningless until he actually starts creating legit chances.
marner had a lot of chances, i think two in alone, one off post, not panicking in the defensive zone, setting up others multiple times, and taking control of a PP and generating a lot of chances. He had an extremely solid game imo.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Alfredsson's stick is in the Hockey Hall of Fame for scoring the 1st ever NHL shootout goal. It was against the Leafs. I'm not too concerned about Matthews' 4-goal opening night haunting us, and none of my Leafs-fan friends have gloated about it.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
I think there was some preamble about the amount of Matthews talk going on. and then he came out with:

"If you don't like [watching Matthews play] then you're either not a hockey fan, or you've got no soul."

Ah ok, yeah makes sense.

Although I am pretty sure this exact line has been said about Karlsson.

Wonder if they feel the same way when a Sens fan says that? :laugh:

hooknshoot

Dipsy Doodle
Nov 23, 2014
Canada
And everyone can watch stone, karlsson, Hoff, and Andy get beat for years to come. Thanks hockey gods.

That's not necessarily going to be a big deal depending on how things play out going forward. Do you think the fans in Chicago are at all bothered anymore by the night in 2012 when Sam Gagner torched the Hawks for 8 points?

When a team isn't successful, those types of things stand out more. If a team can win, it's easy to forget that stuff..

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think there was some preamble about the amount of Matthews talk going on. and then he came out with:

"If you don't like [watching Matthews play] then you're either not a hockey fan, or you've got no soul."

Considering how unbelievable his second goal was, I think it was the appropriate thing to say: they are aware of how non-Leafs fan roll their eyes at the circle-jerk but when an 18 year old dekes almost the entire team on his first game you can't not talk about it and you should remind people who don't want to talk about it that it's ok to be impressed by an opposing player doing what he just did.

Was it annoying? Sure but come on, that goal was just unreal.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Considering how unbelievable his second goal was, I think it was the appropriate thing to say: they are aware of how non-Leafs fan roll their eyes at the circle-jerk but when an 18 year old dekes almost the entire team on his first game you can't not talk about it and you should remind people who don't want to talk about it that it's ok to be impressed by an opposing player doing what he just did.

Was it annoying? Sure but come on, that goal was just unreal.

Friedman's comment was spawned by the Matthews talk before the game not after the first period. Matthews deserves all the accolades for his debut game.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Friedman's comment was spawned by the Matthews talk before the game not after the first period. Matthews deserves all the accolades for his debut game.

Agreed, I didn't mean to call you out there, apologies.

I just remember a bunch of people thinking that what Friedman said wasn't ok and I strongly disagree with that.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
That was a huge win for Ottawa. Could of been pretty bad if they lost that way to Matthews, not a sellout, against the Leafs, new system with no results. Huge win. Keeps everything together. If we lost in OT on a Marner or Matthews goal it would of been a bitter pill to have to swallow and re-swallow all season.

And the team played like the coaches personality. They were plucky, they kept believing they could win the game, and they stayed together. That's really important, it shows that the players believe in the coach.

Ottawa looked really bad in their first game, but at least the team has a goal and a vision this season. Last year when we began losing it didn't look like the team had a plan besides 'come to work everyday'

With Boucher there is a goal, there is an expectation to get better, and the team has a vision of how they want to play. And that win was huge, points wise it's good, but it showed that the coach won't be stubborn and sacrifice winning for 'the system'. He can balance both.

Also lost in the Matthews talk is how EK is playing at another level this season. He was dominating. He looked possessed. Best player on the ice for sure, and he will be again Saturday against Montreal.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
...EK is playing at another level this season. He was dominating. He looked possessed. Best player on the ice for sure, and he will be again Saturday against Montreal.

A teenager made him his ***** on the second goal for Toronto though.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

that's fine. He won them the game with the way he controlled OT.

It would of been nice for EK to get some support from a teammate on the play. If you look at it, he has his back to the play, no support, he's been left in a 1 on 1 battle in his own zone, in an awkward body position and there are no Senators players there to help him battle. If Hoffman sticks with the play, the best Matthews can do is go into the corner.

I don't care how good EK is, put him in 1 on 1 battles with Matthews and he will lose some of them. Put him in 2 on 1 battles with a teammate, he won't lose very many.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

He lifted his stick while going full speed after deking three of our players.

Hardly something to be ashamed of, Hoffman is the one who looked really bad on that play: he didn't even try to get inside position on him on the backcheck (and I think he could have), just a soft shove.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Friedman is right, it just comes off a little hypocritical.

Especially to be directed at Sens fans.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
that's fine. He won them the game with the way he controlled OT.

It would of been nice for EK to get some support from a teammate on the play. If you look at it, he has his back to the play, no support, he's been left in a 1 on 1 battle in his own zone, in an awkward body position and there are no Senators players there to help him battle. If Hoffman sticks with the play, the best Matthews can do is go into the corner.

I don't care how good EK is, put him in 1 on 1 battles with Matthews and he will lose some of them. Put him in 2 on 1 battles with a teammate, he won't lose very many.

I don't see why people bother about that play, the message is not for you.

EK lost the puck, that's the same thing that if he is in a corner and lost a puck battle. you win some, you lose some. Methot was there to cover the play after Matthews won. The only option Matthews had was a low % shot. And he buried it..

No shame here.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
That was a huge win for Ottawa. Could of been pretty bad if they lost that way to Matthews, not a sellout, against the Leafs, new system with no results. Huge win. Keeps everything together. If we lost in OT on a Marner or Matthews goal it would of been a bitter pill to have to swallow and re-swallow all season.

And the team played like the coaches personality. They were plucky, they kept believing they could win the game, and they stayed together. That's really important, it shows that the players believe in the coach.

Ottawa looked really bad in their first game, but at least the team has a goal and a vision this season. Last year when we began losing it didn't look like the team had a plan besides 'come to work everyday'

With Boucher there is a goal, there is an expectation to get better, and the team has a vision of how they want to play. And that win was huge, points wise it's good, but it showed that the coach won't be stubborn and sacrifice winning for 'the system'. He can balance both.

Also lost in the Matthews talk is how EK is playing at another level this season. He was dominating. He looked possessed. Best player on the ice for sure, and he will be again Saturday against Montreal.

Best players for the Sens, he looked phenomenal except for the 2nd goal by Stone Cold Auston Matthews, who was the best player that night shattering the rookie debut scoring record.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Karlsson will probably mix incredible plays with true brainfarts for the remainder of his career - and that style will get him several more Norrisses.

I only hope that he can get a little smarter and sometimes take the easy way out in situations like those.

He could simply have thrown the puck along the boards in either direction - and that would never had happened.

He should watch some games with Lidström, who was the master at judging when to make easy plays and when to be creative.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

That teenager will make others look silly, he has the talent. Lots of things went wrong with that play, including EK being stripped off the puck and the subsequent dive/block attempt by Methot and the angling by Anderson - not to mention Hoffman and Stone being dangled prior to all that.

It was all Auston on that play, just a phenomenal goal where he made almost everyone on the Sens' first line look silly.

Besides that, EK looked scary good, being a driving force on the win.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I don't see why people bother about that play, the message is not for you.

EK lost the puck, that's the same thing that if he is in a corner and lost a puck battle. you win some, you lose some. Methot was there to cover the play after Matthews won. The only option Matthews had was a low % shot. And he buried it..

No shame here.

Yeah and it was a pretty weak goal by Anderson too, he saves that and people say it's a good play, but nobody goes crazy.

Regardless, Erik had a great game and it's nice to see considering he usually takes about 10 or so games to look not awful.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Karlsson will probably mix incredible plays with true brainfarts for the remainder of his career - and that style will get him several more Norrisses.

I only hope that he can get a little smarter and sometimes take the easy way out in situations like those.

He could simply have thrown the puck along the boards in either direction - and that would never had happened.

He should watch some games with Lidström, who was the master at judging when to make easy plays and when to be creative.

If he plays like he did last game every night he'll go down as one of the best of all time and I'd be okay with that. Who cares if he made one weak play, he was pretty much the main reason we won that game.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Have you ever watched Bobby Orr clips, beyond the highlights that get played over and over again? I think Lidstrom is the very clear #2, which is the furthest thing from a knock on him.

Nope, wasn't around back then.

I maintain that Lidstrom longevity is what puts him above Orr.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Nope, wasn't around back then.

I maintain that Lidstrom longevity is what puts him above Orr.

It's a shame that i was so Young and didn't understand the game like i am right now, when Lidstrom was still playing.

I started listening or liking the sens when it was Patrick Lalime in net with Chara-Redden etc. I didn't understand anything lol

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I got to watch Orr for his entire career and live a few times. IMO he is in the argument for the best ever player not just defenseman. Taking nothing away from Lindstrom who was truly one of the best D to play.

Orr was amazing both defensively and offensively. He changed the game. Every kid playing D (which I was one), wanted to bring some elements of what Orr did to their game even if it was just taping their stick the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad