Post-Game Talk: Sens vs. Leafs, Oct. 12 | Game 1 in the books

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Regarding the never-ending debate between Orr & Lidstrom.

Orr played against guys who would've been (at least 95%) beer-leaguers by today's standards. Comparing that to the guys Lidstrom faced during his prime, makes very little sense.

That's like claiming that Afinogenov was a better player than Bure, just because he once scored 11 goals in a beer-league game.

What can you say to this. :shakehead

Lafleur, Hull, Dionne, Ratelle ... beer leaguers quit showing off what you know

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Orr played against guys who would've been (at least 95%) beer-leaguers by today's standards. Comparing that to the guys Lidstrom faced during his prime, makes very little sense.

That's like claiming that Afinogenov was a better player than Bure, just because he once scored 11 goals in a beer-league game.

Orr played in an era that didn't take offseason training as seriously as they have in the last 20 years.

Give that era modern equipment and modern training schedules, and you'd change your take very quickly.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
For me it isn't so much that I'd say Orr's competition was generally poorer than today's

Just that being elite for a long period of time today is much harder than it was back then

Yes other players levels of fitness and skill matter but there's also an element of dedication and persistence that Lidstrom proved he had while Orr didn't get the opportunity due to his knee injuries

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I got to watch Orr for his entire career and live a few times. IMO he is in the argument for the best ever player not just defenseman. Taking nothing away from Lindstrom who was truly one of the best D to play.

Orr was amazing both defensively and offensively. He changed the game. Every kid playing D (which I was one), wanted to bring some elements of what Orr did to their game even if it was just taping their stick the same way.

Lucky. I just missed out on watching Orr live.

My father, on the other hand, still raves about Doug Harvey. Best defenseman ever, he'd say.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
For me it isn't so much that I'd say Orr's competition was generally poorer than today's

Just that being elite for a long period of time today is much harder than it was back then

Yes other players levels of fitness and skill matter but there's also an element of dedication and persistence that Lidstrom proved he had while Orr didn't get the opportunity due to his knee injuries

You could pretty easily make a case that they were each the best Dman in the league for about the same amount of time, despite Orr play half as long. Orr definitely had the higher peak as well. Longevity is pretty much all Lidstrom has on him, but when you consider that Orr was the best player in the league by a decent margin during his career, while Lidstrom never really held that title, I just can't give him the nod.

It doesn't help that I also consider Bourque ahead of Lidstrom.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
You could pretty easily make a case that they were each the best Dman in the league for about the same amount of time, despite Orr play half as long. Orr definitely had the higher peak as well. Longevity is pretty much all Lidstrom has on him, but when you consider that Orr was the best player in the league by a decent margin during his career, while Lidstrom never really held that title, I just can't give him the nod.

It doesn't help that I also consider Bourque ahead of Lidstrom.

It's all good!

These are the types of discussions I enjoy having

Much more so than "We need to replace Boro ASAP" ;)

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
For the record, the bold is a complete load of crap,

Beyond that, the never-ending debate is between Lidstrom and Bourque, because Orr is an echelon above either.

At this stage in his career, I'm not confident in Orr's knees holding up. Nik is 22 years younger, I'd definitely go with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad