Pre-Game Talk: Sens vs Kings Wed Oct. 9th 10:30 PM EDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

booger

Oct 5, 2009
Oakville
Anyone remember the last time we played in LA?

It was right in the middle of the Western road trip, better known as the "Dan O'Rourke and Tim Peel Show". The Kings got awarded a penalty shot because of a reffing error and scored. We lost 4-1.

IIRC, that was the same trip where PMac revealed that one of the refs accused Karlsson of being a diver.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Alfredsson missed far more games than Spezza has. In fact, outside of his rookie season he never played a full 82 game (or even 80 game) season.

People just love to use Spezza as a whipping boy and put Alfie up on some pedestal.

I think they should rest Spezza and let him heal up fully. Give Da Costa a chance instead of having him ride the pine all the time especially since he looked way better than that plug Kassian.

You'll have to give me the numbers on that because I don't see it. Unless your statement is that Alfredsson has missed more games during his 17 seasons than Spezza has during his 9 (and a half) which is obviously true.

Without going into the specifics of the numbers too much Alfie has missed on average 10-11 games / season. Spezza has missed about 14 (I am not counting his rookie season where I don't think he missed anything but he was in the AHL for half a season).

IMO none of them deserves a pedestal for 'not missing games'. Both of them has missed their fair share, Spezza a bit more though.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You'll have to give me the numbers on that because I don't see it. Unless your statement is that Alfredsson has missed more games during his 17 seasons than Spezza has during his 9 (and a half) which is obviously true.

Without going into the specifics of the numbers too much Alfie has missed on average 10-11 games / season. Spezza has missed about 14 (I am not counting his rookie season where I don't think he missed anything but he was in the AHL for half a season).

IMO none of them deserves a pedestal for 'not missing games'. Both of them has missed their fair share, Spezza a bit more though.

Alfie became an iron man late, to me the big difference is when Alfie plays hurt he is still contributing. When Spezza does.... Its a tough go just put it that way.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

From 25 - 29 Alfredsson played, on average, less than 60 games a season.

If you take away their rookie seasons, and only counting full seasons, Alfredsson has averaged 69 games a season over his career and Spezza has averaged 71.

Neither of them are iron-men, but you'd be surprised how many star players miss games year to year.

Alfie became an iron man late, to me the big difference is when Alfie plays hurt he is still contributing. When Spezza does.... Its a tough go just put it that way.

Yeah this isn't true at all.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
From 25 - 29 Alfredsson played, on average, less than 60 games a season.

If you take away their rookie seasons, and only counting full seasons, Alfredsson has averaged 69 games a season over his career and Spezza has averaged 71.

Neither of them are iron-men, but you'd be surprised how many star players miss games year to year.

Yeah this isn't true at all.

Why because you don't want it to be? Obviously this is a difference of opinion and cant really be proven but you don't have a leg to stand on here. How good was Spezza in 08 when they got swept playing hurt?

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
It made sense that Alfie would get hurt because of the way he played. He was always our hardest worker.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Why because you don't want it to be? Obviously this is a difference of opinion and cant really be proven but you don't have a leg to stand on here. How good was Spezza in 08 when they got swept playing hurt?

How good was Alfredsson?

We have no idea when these players are playing hurt unless they outright admit it. Spezza has been our best forward outside of Turris and looked good in both of our first two games this year playing hurt. He's not contributing and it's not pretty when he's leading the team in shots, dominating faceoffs and playing responsibly while creating a ton of offensive chances? Ok.

What did Alfredsson contribute when playing 'injured'? Spezza has played multiple seasons with a lingering back injury and still been a ppg or near ppg player the entire time.

Things like this are just silly.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It made sense that Alfie would get hurt because of the way he played. He was always our hardest worker.

Was also one of the most fit players on the team too, they are very different players with very different skill sets and bodies so you cant really compare to two.

Spezza obviously has the ability to be more dominant, so hopefully he can get back to 100 percent I just wouldn't bet on it.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
How good was Alfredsson?

We have no idea when these players are playing hurt unless they outright admit it. Spezza has been our best forward outside of Turris and looked good in both of our first two games this year playing hurt. He's not contributing and it's not pretty when he's leading the team in shots, dominating faceoffs and playing responsibly while creating a ton of offensive chances? Ok.

What did Alfredsson contribute when playing 'injured'? Spezza has played multiple seasons with a lingering back injury and still been a ppg or near ppg player the entire time.

I guess to me its fairly obvious when Spezza is hurt he doesn't move his feet, I couldn't tell with Alfie. His game was far more consistent, thus me coming to the conclusion that he is more affective injured than Spezza.

You seem to remember alfie being injured very well looking at your posts... What did he contribute?

Spezza looked better and better as the games went on I agree, he is the best forward on this team and its not close. But he is hurt again. Its hard to structure the team around its best forward when he is always injured.

Like it or not he was a huge reason the team lost on Saturday. It was a momentum changing goal, the entire play right from the pathetic attempt to forcheck Kessel to just not back checking sets a brutal example as a captain. This is what I had hoped would be eliminated from his game, not the no look passes that's part of his creativity.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Greening-Smith-Neil
Kassian-Pageau-Condra

bottom 6 at practice this morning, top 2 lines unchanged.

That Smith line needs to bring the nasty. Kassian needs to look pretty while pageau and condra do stuff.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
How good was Alfredsson?

I didn't really mean to start an argument over this, especially not about who was best when playing hurt etc.

I was just looking at the numbers.

Alfie has missed 177 reg. season games and 5 playoff games.
Spezza has missed 126 reg. season games and 11 playoff games.

If we count from 05/06 - 12/13 for both:
Alfie missed 73 r.s. and 5 p.o.
Spezza missed 122 r.s. and 7 p.o.

Anyway, I think that it was a wrong start (by whoever started it) seeing as none of these players have proven to be very healthy imo and as you pointed out Alfie missed a lot of games between 1997 and 2001.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Like it or not he was a huge reason the team lost on Saturday. It was a momentum changing goal, the entire play right from the pathetic attempt to forcheck Kessel to just not back checking sets a brutal example as a captain. This is what I had hoped would be eliminated from his game, not the no look passes that's part of his creativity.

The whole team looked tired after the 2nd period. Spezza was hustling back as best he could and he was backchecking for most of the game. There was 1 time where he didn't move his feet (probably due to injury) and put out his stick and had a very weak call go against him -- yes, he should have known better. The Kessel neutral zone thing has been explained multiple times; Spezza was not at fault on that play. It's like when people blame Spezza for that Crosby assist from behind the net in the playoffs. Forcing a pass by giving the opponent no play and then having a defensive breakdown behind you doesn't make the goal your fault.

These were things that happened to Alfredsson too. Last year and the previous one especially I saw Alfie give up on a ton of plays, be lazy coming back or making a bad decision with/without the puck. It happens to everyone.

Anyway, he's still an effective player injured or not. It would be nice to have him 100%, but as long as he's not making the injury worse I'd like to keep him on the team injured or not...he's still one of our best, if not our best, players.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Greening-Smith-Neil
Kassian-Pageau-Condra

bottom 6 at practice this morning, top 2 lines unchanged.

That Smith line needs to bring the nasty. Kassian needs to look pretty while pageau and condra do stuff.

They basically have to put out a PK pairing with Kassian because they're going to be shorthanded all game.

CBCnutcase

Sep 11, 2007
Late games suck. I say that as someone living in western canada. 5:00 or 5:30 games are the perfect time. Game is over 7:30 or 8, lots of time to vent afterwards. ****ing 8:30 start. Won't be over until after 11, sucks so much.

And I wouldn't mind seeing SDC center that top line. I feel like he would do better than spezza has of late but that's obviously because Spezza has this groin issue. But maybe he wouldn't. I would like to find out. Anyone else rooting that Spezza doesn't play?

What's wrong with me?
No way, totally disagree with you. The late games are great and I'm in western Canada too. The early games suck so the western road trips are nice. The 4:00 or 4:30 games are in the 3rd period or almost over by the time people come home from work. The games end around 6:30 or 7. The bummer is that TSN did not make this game as part of its Wed. doubleheader. They advertise that Wednesday is their signature night so show 2 games.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Why is kassian in the lineup again? And why is pageau paired with two no offensive talent buffoons? It is like the coach wants us to lose this game.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Cap management. Keep Pageau's stats under control for contract negotiation.

But its really hindering his talents. He is a great player that is being hindered because of being put on a line with two players that have no offense skills whatsoever. At least the greening-pageau-condra line has some potential of creating offensive power. But this kassian-pageau-condra line having any offensive power is like somebody asking you to turn water into wine. It's not happening.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
But its really hindering his talents. He is a great player that is being hindered because of being put on a line with two players that have no offense skills whatsoever.

Just think of our ASSET MANAGEMENT though.

Honestly, do you think this game is about wins and losses?

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
But its really hindering his talents. He is a great player that is being hindered because of being put on a line with two players that have no offense skills whatsoever.

Pageau fits right in. How many times do Kassian and Condra have to set him up point blank before he finally pots one?

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
LA isnt that scary and i doubt there will be lots of fights.It's not like we have any history. I'd like to use Gryba this game over Corvo and see if he has improved. I believe he missed most of the preseason with an injury so maybe he just looked bad in buffalo cause his lack of preparation. If spezza's groin isnt 100 percent i'd rather have him just rest. No reason to have his be a defensive liability due to lack of speed and risk making the injury worse.

Except for this little gem that a lot of people don't even remember:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
They basically have to put out a PK pairing with Kassian because they're going to be shorthanded all game.

lol certainly seems like that doesn't it?

I dunno, if Kassian can just drive to the net maybe one of condras wide shots will bounce off his ass and go in

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
To be fair, Condra's "set-ups" are him missing open nets and the puck somehow finds its way on to Pageau's stick.

JG Pageau: 4 missed shots, 4 SOG
Erik 'Bondra' Condra: 1 missed shot, 1 SOG

One of these two is pretending.

Also, JG's 28% at the face-off dot is truely impressive. He is right where he belongs.

QED, Pageau is holding Condra back from greatness. How is Erik supposed to get his precious CORSI up???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad