Sens Tank Nation Part 1- The Fruit of Futility

Status
Not open for further replies.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Ottawa doesn't have the leverage to insist on a top prospect. The waiting game is working against them every day.

The funny thing is, I think he's trying to pull a Sakic to get value, but its going to work against them since teams know they're under the gun.

But for me, I know that Makar has the potential to be a high end D, but we know EK is a generational D that put up massive points last year despite the ankle. I'd be willing to include Makar OR the Ott 1st, but not both.

Reactions: Murzu

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
The same ankle that was near a ppg last season? I think its fine.

Im with everyone that we keep Makar off the table if possible, but at least entertain the idea if it means bringing back Karlsson.

Obviously Makar and the Ott 1st are not both going for EK.
He put up points and no doubt he'll continue to do so but he wasn't the same. Best player in the league for a couple years prior and love his game but he struggled defensively last year and wasn't dominant as before. Maybe it has nothing to do with the ankle , guys have off years but I'm certainly using it as leverage of I'm trading for him

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
The funny thing is, I think he's trying to pull a Sakic to get value, but its going to work against them since teams know they're under the gun.

But for me, I know that Makar has the potential to be a high end D, but we know EK is a generational D that put up massive points last year despite the ankle. I'd be willing to include Makar OR the Ott 1st, but not both.
Because of his obvious desire to never play another game as a Senator, his value goes down significantly from where it should be. As well as only having one year left on his deal.

Of course if he gets traded for anything of worth, it will come with a sign and trade, which ofcourse will include an insane NMC/NTC which then makes it so EK gets to choose his destination.

Or the Senators trade him for spare parts and the receiving team gets him for one year gambling on a re-sign.

My fear and I'm sure the majority here feel that EK wont sign in COL so we are out of the running before negotiations even begin and zero chance Makar is including in anything short of EK locked up for 7-8 years.

Nobody here wants to trade Makar unless were guaranteed that 7-8 years. No one wants one year of EK because realistically we are 2-4 years away from real contention with him and our young guys.

Reactions: AvHooligan

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The reason patience won't work for Dorion is the NMC. Karlsson gets to decide where he goes, and that limits his bargaining partners. Duchene had nothing to limit Sakic's options, all he had to do was wait for an acceptable deal to come and pull the trigger. Dorion has to go through Karlsson, and being a year from UFA adds an additional wrinkle of getting a deal done as well, which even with a team you want to sign with can be complicated when you're a star.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Because of his obvious desire to never play another game as a Senator, his value goes down significantly from where it should be. As well as only having one year left on his deal.

Of course if he gets traded for anything of worth, it will come with a sign and trade, which ofcourse will include an insane NMC/NTC which then makes it so EK gets to choose his destination.

Or the Senators trade him for spare parts and the receiving team gets him for one year gambling on a re-sign.

My fear and I'm sure the majority here feel that EK wont sign in COL so we are out of the running before negotiations even begin and zero chance Makar is including in anything short of EK locked up for 7-8 years.

Nobody here wants to trade Makar unless were guaranteed that 7-8 years. No one wants one year of EK because realistically we are 2-4 years away from real contention with him and our young guys.

Yeah, Makar or the ott pick are a no go if theres no extension

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
I really wonder how Dutchy is feeling :laugh::laugh::laugh:

He is connected to the Islanders. Ok, after Tavares gone this isn´t that much better, but hey, he can play with Barzal. And with Lou as new GM it´s still better than OTT right now.

After this season he will be UFA.... If he start the season in Ottawa i´m expecting a trade at the deadline. Maybe to a contender.

Dutchy will be fine, but man, this trade backfired big.

Last edited:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Teams pretty much never give up their best prospects in trades, no matter what. Montreal excluded.

Tampa gave up Howden and Hajek for McDonagh, saving Sergachev. Sens didn't give up Chabot and White for Duchene. With the season Heiskanen had in Finland, Stars would be nuts to give him up. He's going to be a great NHLer, is young and is going to be on an ELC.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
The reason patience won't work for Dorion is the NMC. Karlsson gets to decide where he goes, and that limits his bargaining partners. Duchene had nothing to limit Sakic's options, all he had to do was wait for an acceptable deal to come and pull the trigger. Dorion has to go through Karlsson, and being a year from UFA adds an additional wrinkle of getting a deal done as well, which even with a team you want to sign with can be complicated when you're a star.
Karlsson has a limited NTC, not a NMC.

Its the extension part that makes the negotiations like dealing with a NMC

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think today is last day for player elected arbitration, so we'll find out where Stone and Sens stand.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Arbitration for sure. Problem is Ottawa will definitely take the 2 year option, buying a UFA year.

You can't get awarded UFA years. If a player is a year from UFA it's an automatic 1 year award.

I think Stone is two years from being a UFA, despite turning 26 in May.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The UFA rule is 7 accrued seasons or 27 by June 30th of that year, whichever comes first. Stone will be 27 next summer, so he will be a UFA if he doesn't have a contract.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The UFA rule is 7 accrued seasons or 27 by June 30th of that year, whichever comes first. Stone will be 27 next summer, so he will be a UFA if he doesn't have a contract.

Sens fans on HF seemed to be convinced it was two years. Guess they are in for another surprise. Summer of Fun for them.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Sens fans on HF seemed to be convinced it was two years. Guess they are in for another surprise. Summer of Fun for them.

Yeah they are wrong... exact copy from the CBA

Group 3 Players and Free Agents.
(i) Any Player who either has seven (7) Accrued Seasons or is 27 years of age or older as of June 30 of the end of a League Year, shall, if his most recent SPC has expired, with such expiry occurring either as of June 30 of such League Year or June 30 of any prior League Year, become an Unrestricted Free Agent. Such Player shall be completely free to negotiate and sign an SPC with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate and sign an SPC with such Player, without penalty or restriction, or being subject to any Right of First Refusal, Draft Choice Compensation or any other compensation or equalization obligation of any kind.
(ii) An Unrestricted Free Agent shall not be subject to any limitations on the period of time before which he may qualify as an Unrestricted Free Agent again, or to any limitations on the number of times he may become an Unrestricted Free Agent, except for a Group 5 Player, who may only elect to become a Group 5 Player once, but who may qualify to be another type of Unrestricted Free Agent in accordance with the terms of this Agreement.

Reactions: klozge

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Yeah, I thought so. Thanks Henchy.

The next year of watching the Sens is going to be so much fun. The EK soap opera, this Stone contract, our old friend Matty’s contract, guaranteed Anderson implosion, that delicious draft choice... Joe will be like a vulture circling Dorion in the desert.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Saw this on the Sens board.

If they trade EK and don’t bring back an NHL defenseman...

Sens D:

Chabot - Ceci
Wideman - Harpur
Wolanin - Jaros
Borowiecki

tumblr_ow3t3dAvGJ1w14zpao8_400.gif

:sarcasm: I may actually watch near every Sens game this season

I know the odds are not in our favor

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah, I thought so. Thanks Henchy.

The next year of watching the Sens is going to be so much fun. The EK soap opera, this Stone contract, our old friend Matty’s contract, guaranteed Anderson implosion, that delicious draft choice... Joe will be like a vulture circling Dorion in the desert.
This is certain to be the most entertaining lol

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Such a shame. On the other hand, we've gone through very dark years as well and at least I love the team, coaches and especially management we have now much, much more than I would if I hadn't experienced these times. As long as they don't find a new owner the dark years probably won't end for the Sens, unfortunately.

Reactions: Sea Eagles

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Just took a quick stroll over on the Sens board and here’s a few things that were posted just today.

- Karlsson will re-sign if not traded by this weekend.
- Stone filing for arbitration is great and now they’ll get an 8 year extension done.(fun fact, they’ve had 370 days to get one of those done and there hasn’t been a rumor of anything being remotely close)
- Several discussions of how well Brayden Point will fit into their lineup since he’ll be part of the return.

Those poor guys. I love the optimism and I really feel bad for them but wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad