Pre-Game Talk: SENS strike down Tampa, Thurs, 7:30 pm on TSN

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
I'm not optimistic. The team isn’t firing on all cylinders. If there was a game for the big boys to show up this would be it, otherwise it could be a slaughter.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Win or lose Im looking forward to Count Dracula’s stats on our chances of making the PO, on our chances of selecting 1st overall and on our % of blocked shots by our left D-men while on pk in the second period when we trail 3-2 on the second night of a back-to-back

Seems like someone has caught on to the fact that it's not just how many points the Sens are behind the Bruins.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
That's one heck of an optimistic thread title.

Definitely watching this one, but I'll be having a few beverages to make it go down smoother.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Well our goaltending situation is locked in for 2 years beyond this one. They have a coach who's known for player development and using his young players. Improving via youth isn't an option while Boucher is employed. Their season was derailed by injuries and that was obvious. Everyone knew they were a cup contender. The Sens have done pretty well in the injury department. We've only lost some depth defensemen. There's no reinforcements on the horizon or better goaltending.

Ehhhhh not really. Jon Cooper has been like freaking Viktor Tikhonov when it comes to young players. Especially forwards. They all get stapled to the 4th line for like 2 years regardless of how much talent they have. Namestnikov, Johnson, Palat, Kucherov and Drouin all started their career getting as much quality time with 4th liner J.T Brown as those 10 minutes of TOI would allow them. It got so bad that Drouin asked for a trade -as I'm sure you all remember. Brayden Point has been the sole exception to that rule and none of us can tell if Coop had a change of heart. If you're a defenseman, you play with Victor Hedman or Anton Stralman and he shelters the hell out of you. We got lucky that Dotchin plays B+ with Hedman and Sergachev is a product of those sheltered minutes.

And don't you DARE mention last year on the Lightning board. Sweet 8 lb 7 oz baby Jesus!!! They wanted Coop fired because he went .500 in October before the injury decimation began and then in January, they wanted him fired because Bishop was hurt and he didn't throw an AHL goaltender into the fire when Vasilevskiy was letting in 3 bad goals a night with a healthy team in front of them. And of course Bishop was no better when healthy either. Nearly getting traded to Calgary messed him up bad. Ironic, we went better than .500 during that time too and they STILL wanted him fired.

No, they think your coach is supposed to persevere without a captain, without half his lineup, without even mediocre goaltending and without the GM making any moves while he watches a trainwreck unfold for a month and a half.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Pierre McGuire .. this am discusses Phaneuf - Ceci...
One point brought up here is that some players may be playing too much. (Particularly D men) .. I agree with this... Phaneuf and Oduya's ice should be cut down.. its too bad they didn't have another D they could give more minutes to. I agree with his points on Colin White that he brings up often... Boucher is stubborn but Dorion should be intervening here imo. White has been playing with 2 plugs a lot of the time in Belleville.
He also emphasizes the hole left by Methot .. We miss him.
I think our D is a problem with this team... I have not been impressed by Claesson's game recently... It's interesting that Boro and Wides were key to the success of this team. I would get Chabot and Harpur in and play them ,, and start balancing out the icetime. It would be worth trying.
McGuire: Senators are what their record is, not very good

I'd like to see us move towards this season being a developmental season for the young guys. Get Harpur, Chabot and White in and playing in significant roles. Oduya can go to the 3rd pair or the bench, Burrows as well. Let the kids take their lumps and learn how to be better in the process. Maybe they can all earn Boucher's trust by the end of the year and we can actually start next season playing our best players.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Ehhhhh not really. Jon Cooper has been like freaking Viktor Tikhonov when it comes to young players. Especially forwards. They all get stapled to the 4th line for like 2 years regardless of how much talent they have. Namestnikov, Johnson, Palat, Kucherov and Drouin all started their career getting as much quality time with 4th liner J.T Brown as those 10 minutes of TOI would allow them. It got so bad that Drouin asked for a trade -as I'm sure you all remember. Brayden Point has been the sole exception to that rule and none of us can tell if Coop had a change of heart. If you're a defenseman, you play with Victor Hedman or Anton Stralman and he shelters the hell out of you. We got lucky that Dotchin plays B+ with Hedman and Sergachev is a product of those sheltered minutes.

And don't you DARE mention last year on the Lightning board. Sweet 8 lb 7 oz baby Jesus!!! They wanted Coop fired because he went .500 in October before the injury decimation began and then in January, they wanted him fired because Bishop was hurt and he didn't throw an AHL goaltender into the fire when Vasilevskiy was letting in 3 bad goals a night with a healthy team in front of them. And of course Bishop was no better when healthy either. Nearly getting traded to Calgary messed him up bad. Ironic, we went better than .500 during that time too and they STILL wanted him fired.

No, they think your coach is supposed to persevere without a captain, without half his lineup, without even mediocre goaltending and without the GM making any moves while he watches a trainwreck unfold for a month and a half.

It seems like every board are alike in the end.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I'd like to see us move towards this season being a developmental season for the young guys. Get Harpur, Chabot and White in and playing in significant roles. Oduya can go to the 3rd pair or the bench, Burrows as well. Let the kids take their lumps and learn how to be better in the process. Maybe they can all earn Boucher's trust by the end of the year and we can actually start next season playing our best players.

I would be on board with this and be looking to trim the fat, aka ditch the old guys for whatever you can get, likely would look to move Brass and recoup what we can, would not re-sign personally. Its a young mans skating league and we need to move towards that format imo

Winning would be a Festivus miracle.

2 days to go for that!

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
McGuire kept saying he was bullish on Ottawa. Said they were a powerhouse on paper. Is he changing his tune?
Never said powerhouse. He did say bullish though.

Why wouldn't he be changing his tune. That's what normal people do.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Tbh benching Burrows after last night wouldn't make sense. Only him and Thompson looked interested in playing hockey after the Pagaeu goal
This needs to end. Just because they performed very basic plays like making the red line and dumping it in and then laid a hit doesn't mean they were the only ones out there interesting it playing hockey. They have the easiest jobs on the team and for the most part don't do them well. Nate Thompson and burrows have been just as bad as everyone else during this slump. Which is very bad.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

Gee, this sounds familiar.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I would be on board with this and be looking to trim the fat, aka ditch the old guys for whatever you can get, likely would look to move Brass and recoup what we can, would not re-sign personally. Its a young mans skating league and we need to move towards that format imo

2 days to go for that!

Yeah, move out guys if you can. Phaneuf, Ryan, Brassard, Smith, Burrows and Oduya, would all be open for offers but I suspect only Brass and Smith would get any traction.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box

Wouldn't surprise me if they went on a tear this year with the young talent we have. :thumbu:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Just so were all on the same oage. We're gonna win tonight. In the coming Days a trade will be made

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad