Pre-Game Talk: SENS strike down Tampa, Thurs, 7:30 pm on TSN

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Burrows was awful, no doubt. We did need a fourth line centre though. You can argue we could have gone after someone like Dominic Moore at 1 year 1 million, but we gave the extra year and 1.65 per. Too many bad contracts on this team.

Just to be clear I don't think the Thompson contract is bad relative to the product he brings on the ice. I think Thompson is worth somewhere in that range, he's a valuable 4rth liner and can do a lot of things well.

What I'm criticizing is the decision making from Dorion. Right now I'd much rather have Bowers and a 1rst, Turris signed long term and substract the totally avoidable 2 year extension to Burrows and Thompson than have Duchene (and losing the pick/prospect while keeping Burrows and Thompson.). Like you say other options were there and we decided to take the Boucher route and go with Thompson and Burrows, both whom Boucher had already coached previously.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
2-1 lead late in the second. 1 on 2 board battle infront of the penalty boxes. Gourde and Dzingel step out of the box. Dzingel steps out of the box and moves away from the puck towards the offensive blue line. Gourde makes it 1 on 3 battle. Wins the battle, gets the puck deep. Ottawa attempts a breakout, turned over in the neutral zone. Gourde scores. Goodnight.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Not sure about claesson anymore. We really need a solid veteran up there. Someone like methot

Agreed, but we don’t have Methot. Playing Claesson on your first pair is far from ideal, but our blueline is not strong. We have a lot of defenceman, but how many are good? Most are average or below average.

Reactions: Icelevel

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon
Pretty good because at least we'll keep our pick.

meh, i try to be realistic...if we finish bottom 10 while at least making an effort then fine..if not, we get our pick in 2019. There's no guarantee if we finish bottom 10 that we'll get Dahlin anyway. This tank talk is always funny...it's all just fantasy and wishful thinking...no way the Sens purposely tank...they can't afford to loose anymore people in the stands.

Reactions: Boud

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Just to be clear I don't think the Thompson contract is bad relative to the product he brings on the ice. I think Thompson is worth somewhere in that range, he's a valuable 4rth liner and can do a lot of things well.

What I'm criticizing is the decision making from Dorion. Right now I'd much rather have Bowers and a 1rst, Turris signed long term and substract the totally avoidable 2 year extension to Burrows and Thompson than have Duchene (and losing the pick/prospect while keeping Burrows and Thompson.). Like you say other options were there and we decided to take the Boucher route and go with Thompson and Burrows, both whom Boucher had already coached previously.

Well, Dorion thought we were a contender, which we ain’t. We paid a steep price for a slight upgrade at centre, and it hasn’t even been an upgrade. I think before the trade, most would have agreed Duchene was better than Turris, but not by much. This team has traded away too many picks and prospects in the last few years. If you do that and win a cup, ok. If you miss the playoffs? You look like a donkey.

Reactions: Boud

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Well, Dorion thought we were a contender, which we ain’t. We paid a steep price for a slight upgrade at centre, and it hasn’t even been an upgrade. I think before the trade, most would have agreed Duchene was better than Turris, but not by much. This team has traded away too many picks and prospects in the last few years. If you do that and win a cup, ok. If you miss the playoffs? You look like a donkey.

I didn't.

Sure, Duchene might have had a few seasons where he surpassed Turris' production, but you can see the clear decline since then. In other words, he peaked early. He's never going to get 60-70 points with the Sens. Turris might not have gotten 70 points again with us either, but he fits the system better, utilizes his teammates a TON better, and has a great attitude overall(not to mention being clutch AF).

Even if this had been straight one-for-one trade, I would have balked, but giving up all those extra pieces? No way. I mean, the slight upgrade in pure talent is offset by those other factors I mentioned so why do it? Well, if you're Dorion, you do it because just like many other posters on here, you see those 2-3 elite seasons from 5 years ago and you assume he can repeat that with the Sens, since they're apparently a Cup contender(in his mind).

Reactions: Tundraman

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I was for the trade when I assumed that Turris wanted an unreasonable contract. We'd give up a bit but we can't have a vacancy at centre if Turris walks.

After seeing what he got in Nashville, I hated it. Let's say for tax reasons he'd sign for 6.5 per year for 6 years. I'd be fine with that.

At this point will Duchene even want to re-sign, given the current state of this franchise? He wanted to go to a Cup contender after all and didn't want to suffer through another rebuild.

Reactions: Tundraman

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I didn't.

Sure, Duchene might have had a few seasons where he surpassed Turris' production, but you can see the clear decline since then. In other words, he peaked early. He's never going to get 60-70 points with the Sens. Turris might not have gotten 70 points again with us either, but he fits the system better, utilizes his teammates a TON better, and has a great attitude overall(not to mention being clutch AF).

Even if this had been straight one-for-one trade, I would have balked, but giving up all those extra pieces? No way. I mean, the slight upgrade in pure talent is offset by those other factors I mentioned so why do it? Well, if you're Dorion, you do it because just like many other posters on here, you see those 2-3 elite seasons from 5 years ago and you assume he can repeat that with the Sens, since they're apparently a Cup contender(in his mind).

Some people, not just Sens fans were acting like Duchene was better than he really was. He’s not a top end number one centre like Tavares. If we gave up the same package for Tavares and signed him to an extension, I’d be all for it, but Duchene is kind of like Turris. Better suited in the 2nd line centre position imo. Good player, but not elite.

At the end of the day, we didn’t improve our team and gave up a lot. There’s still time for Duchene to turn things around, and he’s had some good games, but production wise it hasn’t been great so far.

Said it at the time, and I’ll say it again. Great trade for Nashville. A couple of prospects and a 2nd round pick? They made out great.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

To be fair, Karlsson was also caved in at ES, to the tune of 28-15 or something, but Karlsson's line allowed significantly more of those chances from high danger areas

Karlsson HDCF 4, HDCA:11
Ceci HDCF 2, HDCA:3

This loss and us getting shelled in the process isn't on Ceci's play, but that's how some will spin it.

Reactions: Chip Chipperson

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
71XzM%2BMkESL._SL1250_.jpg
This team can't win and definitely won't tank right. When the pressure of not making the playoffs is alleviated they'll make a useless push lose their top 10 protected pick.

Mediocrity has loomed over this organization for the past decade.

Reactions: Back in Black

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad