Pre-Game Talk: SENS strike down Tampa, Thurs, 7:30 pm on TSN

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
This team can't win and definitely won't tank right. When the pressure of not making the playoffs is alleviated they'll make a useless push lose their top 10 protected pick.

Mediocrity has loomed over this organization for the past decade.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
AJ (TSN1200 radio) is making sense right now...
He's saying:
Don't pay a 4th line player $1.6M. Don't pay more than $800k. Watch the Spengler and bring in guys like that or play your prospects on the 4th line. He said that this is where Dorion wen't too far trying to please Boucher.

I don't agree with him too often (like he repeated earlier tonight about Turris wanting out because of the coach which he heard on a trip to BC in Oct) but on this over payment for low level guys he's right.

Reactions: Icelevel

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
AJ is making sense right now...
He's saying:
Don't pay a 4th line player $1.6M. Don't pay more than $800k. Watch the Spengler and bring in guys like that or play your prospects on the 4th line. He said that this is where Dorion wen't too far trying to please Boucher.

I don't agree with him too often (like he repeated earlier tonight about Turris wanting out because of the coach which he heard on a trip to BC in Oct) but on this over payment for low level guys he's right.
Sure .. but imo Thompson is not the problem... Compared to what they gave Burrows ... its great. If we are overpaying 1 4th liner player its him

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
AJ is making sense right now...
He's saying:

Don’t pay more than 800k on any 4th liner? 1.6 might be a bit high, but I’m ok with 4th liners making a bit more than 800k. If you spent 3-4 million total on your fourth line, that’s ok for me.

Thompson’s contract isn’t our problem anyway. Ryan, Phaneuf, Burrows? There’s your problem.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Chabot will never have any confidence if you never count on him against the top teams

EK Homophobic Sluroof and SlOwduya are a combined -25

Would it really be the end of the world if he played more?

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Don’t pay more than 800k on any 4th liner? 1.6 might be a bit high, but I’m ok with 4th liners making a bit more than 800k. If you spent 3-4 million total on your fourth line, that’s ok for me.

Thompson’s contract isn’t our problem anyway. Ryan, Phaneuf, Burrows? There’s your problem.

It's not a problem if you look at those contracts separately only. Problem is Dorion knew we had already 7M commited on Phaneuf, 7M commited on Ryan and still gave a 2.5M contract to Burrows and a 1.65 to Thompson.

Dorion's job is to make sure that he's looking forward for this team when signing these contracts which means that Dorion knew he had to re-sign Turris (and Others) so the cash was already tight before those guys came in. Dorion could've given 1 year to Burrows and 1 year to Thompson. Only that would've avoided the problem of re-signing Turris. If these guys wouldn't have wanted to sign here on a 1 year deal, then who the f*** cares sign someone else who will take that 1 year. Signing Turris was incrementally more important to this team and this franchise than having fancy 4rth liners that are not helping us win right now.

Again, Ryan is a problem there is no doubt, but for Dorion that was not avoidable. That deal was already made when he got here and getting rid of Ryan now would be extremely hard. Phaneuf once again happened 2 seasons ago, so that's something Dorion knew he had to deal with BUT when you trade for and sign players knowing what's coming up.... That's on Dorion IMO. Worse case trade Zack Smith for a cheaper or younger player. There were other options for Dorion, he just chose the worse one(s).

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North

hey look at your post ... I think that this is the 1st time I "like you"

I thought you'd catch on to what I was saying before that but they are all deleted anyway.... :) I was too ambiguous I guess :naughty:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
It's not a problem if you look at those contracts separately only. Problem is Dorion knew we had already 7M commited on Phaneuf, 7M commited on Ryan and still gave a 2.5M contract to Burrows and a 1.65 to Thompson.

Dorion's job is to make sure that he's looking forward for this team when signing these contracts which means that Dorion knew he had to re-sign Turris (and Others) so the cash was already tight before those guys came in. Dorion could've given 1 year to Burrows and 1 year to Thompson. Only that would've avoided the problem of re-signing Turris. If these guys wouldn't have wanted to sign here on a 1 year deal, then who the **** cares sign someone else who will take that 1 year. Signing Turris was incrementally more important to this team and this franchise than having fancy 4rth liners that are not helping us win right now.

Again, Ryan is a problem there is no doubt, but for Dorion that was not avoidable. That deal was already made when he got here and getting rid of Ryan now would be extremely hard. Phaneuf once again happened 2 seasons ago, so that's something Dorion knew he had to deal with BUT when you trade for and sign players knowing what's coming up.... That's on Dorion IMO. Worse case trade Zack Smith for a cheaper or younger player. There were other options for Dorion, he just chose the worse one(s).

Burrows was awful, no doubt. We did need a fourth line centre though. You can argue we could have gone after someone like Dominic Moore at 1 year 1 million, but we gave the extra year and 1.65 per. Too many bad contracts on this team.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Nice work by Tim in Taiwan on a Sens' Night Before Christmas on the post-game show. Worth checking out the podcast for.

Reactions: Icelevel

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I missed a bit of AJ's stuff after that and it's possible his comment about trying too hard to please Boucher in a general sense included guys like Burrows but even if it didn't that signing fits the pattern as to the type of player Boucher would have been wanting but I never felt he was worth the $$$ ask or term. The guy was a pending UFA who would have probably not gotten more than a 1 year deal at $1.5M from anyone else in the summer. Vancouver was ready to move on from him and they couldn't believe their luck that they got another GM to give up a decent prospect for him especially when Burrows played hard ball and bluffed his way into a 2 year overpaid deal. Any other GM would have walked away. This deal is a classic example of Dorion's inexperience and overrating his team and their future.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I missed a bit of AJ's stuff after that and it's possible his comment about trying too hard to please Boucher in a general sense included guys like Burrows but even if it didn't that signing fits the pattern as to the type of player Boucher would have been wanting but I never felt he was worth the $$$ ask or term. The guy was a pending UFA who would have probably not gotten more than a 1 year deal at $1.5M from anyone else in the summer. Vancouver was ready to move on from him and they couldn't believe their luck that they got another GM to give up a decent prospect for him especially when Burrows played hard ball and bluffed his way into a 2 year overpaid deal. Any other GM would have walked away. This deal is a classic example of Dorion's inexperience and overrating his team and their future.

Garbage trade. Garbage extension.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad