Post-Game Talk: Sens @ SpezzaStars - 1/13/15 - the No Tank Talk Edition

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
If we do end up with a top 5 pick we have a good chance to select a potential future one. Even without McEichel, you've got Strome and Marner

Marner is a LW no? It's McEichel, Strome then a whole bucnh of similar prospects which look to have the same upside. Defense

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Lehner was supposed to share the starts this season... that was what was said going into the season and yet it has not happened. Come hell or high water this was supposed to be a playoff team say Melnyk, Murray, etc etc etc.

Do I think that Lehner should be handed the reigns? No... but now is the time to give him half the starts. Unless we win something crazy like 11 straight, it is time to start divvying up minutes and starts to let our young players develop.

If you play like crop you aren't getting starts it's simple. If Lehner played well he would. Get more starts

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Marner is a LW no? It's McEichel, Strome then a whole bucnh of similar prospects which look to have the same upside. Defense

Marner is a center and barzal, konecy, merkley all have solid potential for centers

Take bpa no matter the position

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
OHL website lists him as a RW. Everything else says center but i remember in playing wing in the only London game i watch this year. Either way he probably can play both if thats the case.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
OHL website lists him as a RW. Everything else says center but i remember in playing wing in the only London game i watch this year. Either way he probably can play both if thats the case.

He plays with Domi, so that would make sense if Domi plays as the centre. I'd assume he'd shift back to the middle when Domi goes pro.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
At least we have Hoffman, Ryan, Anderson, and Karlsson in this **** season so far.

Last edited:

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
BTW, I don't want to see the Gryba - Phillips pairing again unless it's on the PK. I'd like Wier back in the lineup.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'd alternate Phillips and Weircioch

Weircioch is decent enough that he could definitely be part of a trade but he needs to play

He's the anti-Phillips though: if he doesn't have the puck he's not helping

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I'd alternate Phillips and Weircioch

Weircioch is decent enough that he could definitely be part of a trade but he needs to play

He's the anti-Phillips though: if he doesn't have the puck he's not helping

I disagree. His defensive deficiencies have been overblown. He's got an excellent stick and positioning.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Can't wait till Boro is back. Then there should be no reason to play Phillips at all. Just alternate between Boro and Wiercioch.

Xamar*

I can't believe that poster who literally said that Lehner's poor play was music to his ears.. Like wtf is wrong with him? What team do you cheer for?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If you want some entertainment, check out some old Andy vs Lehner threads from this time last year. Wowsers.

I think the top priority for this team is to boost our overall speed. A poster in the GDT got it right - we suck in 2nd periods because our guys just don't have the wheels to make safe long-changes in that frame. That's where a lot of the great opportunities are coming from. Long changes, guys being stuck on the ice too long.

Secondly, yes, we made a huge boo boo by promoting Lehner too early. But, what's done is done. We can't dwell on it now. The focus should be, how to we make sure we're developing him the best way possible from this point forward? Obviously keeping Andy (unless we get a crazy can't turn-down amazing type offer) should be a priority. Lehner needs Andy here. Do we need a different goalie coach? Different practice routines? Yoga? Meditation? I dunno.

One highlight of the night. Mr Giggles walked away from that game with 0 points. So, neener neener on that one.

I culdn't watch most of the third, but caught it...sort of...on the radio. Someone at 1200 please give Dean and Gord a massive slap upside the head? People turn on 1200 during game time to hear the freaking game! Not to listen to some old men type of rambling for three hours. Holy crap! Those two were rambly in the past, but now they are just terrible. Might as well tune in to the play-by-play for the local quilting bee instead.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Strange game. Aside for a few short gaps, I really liked the way we skated and moved our feet. We generated a lot of good scoring chances and scoring 4 goals is a plus.

The first goal against was well defended but Lehner let a weak one in - it happens. The second goal was a very nice shot and good net presence on the PP. Credit to Dallas.

It was the third goal that upsets me - we let the 4th Dallas player beat us up the ice. Turris got lazy. 100% preventable goal with a little more attention and effort on the backcheck (ironic, that was a bit Spezzaesque).

Fouth goal was a bit of a fluke, bad puck luck. I also thought the penalty call was weak. That's just two guys battling for a puck, no way that's interference on EK.

Fifth goal was another disappointing effort. We turn the puck over at the blueline and two of our forward elect to change leaving an open opportunity for the Dallas D to jump up, ultimately scoring. That's just not smart.

My point in all of this is - if we play that way but eliminate the few gaffes we're capable of beating anybody. Dallas really struggled to handle us for a good part of that game. It was nice to see every line pitching in and creating scoring chances.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Pretty decent and entertaining game tbh, Lehner could have been stronger but he will be alright i think. Poor Cowen takes a blatant high stick to his 6'5 chops no call, then the nice slash and broken stick cross check by Cole with a ref right there....no call? I haven't seen anything like that in long long while. The third was almost reffed like a playoff game lol

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Pretty decent and entertaining game tbh, Lehner could have been stronger but he will be alright i think. Poor Cowen takes a blatant high stick to his 6'5 chops no call, then the nice slash and broken stick cross check by Cole with a ref right there....no call? I haven't seen anything like that in long long while. The third was almost reffed like a playoff game lol

Yeah, I couldn't believe the no call on the cross check. How do you stare right at that and not call it?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
We had just gotten away with an obvious trip that wasn't called within two seconds of us getting off the PK and that resulted in a very good chance for us

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
I culdn't watch most of the third, but caught it...sort of...on the radio. Someone at 1200 please give Dean and Gord a massive slap upside the head? People turn on 1200 during game time to hear the freaking game! Not to listen to some old men type of rambling for three hours. Holy crap! Those two were rambly in the past, but now they are just terrible. Might as well tune in to the play-by-play for the local quilting bee instead.

I was in bed sick, and I just killed the feed when they went down 5-3. Knew it was over and just couldn't take Dean Brown anymore. The guy even condescends to Gord now. He does realize he was one of the few regional regulars that didn't get picked up by Sportsnet, right? I mean, maybe he's totally content with another 20 years of Sens radio.

None of TSN 1200's listeners are though.

The guy is awful. Hell, I'd take AJ Jakubec over him any day.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I forgot how solid Methot is - underrated puck possession guy. We're a much better team with him in the lineup.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Strange game. Aside for a few short gaps, I really liked the way we skated and moved our feet. We generated a lot of good scoring chances and scoring 4 goals is a plus.

The first goal against was well defended but Lehner let a weak one in - it happens. The second goal was a very nice shot and good net presence on the PP. Credit to Dallas.

It was the third goal that upsets me - we let the 4th Dallas player beat us up the ice. Turris got lazy. 100% preventable goal with a little more attention and effort on the backcheck (ironic, that was a bit Spezzaesque).

Fouth goal was a bit of a fluke, bad puck luck. I also thought the penalty call was weak. That's just two guys battling for a puck, no way that's interference on EK.

Fifth goal was another disappointing effort. We turn the puck over at the blueline and two of our forward elect to change leaving an open opportunity for the Dallas D to jump up, ultimately scoring. That's just not smart.

My point in all of this is - if we play that way but eliminate the few gaffes we're capable of beating anybody. Dallas really struggled to handle us for a good part of that game. It was nice to see every line pitching in and creating scoring chances.

At this stage though, it's become apparent that it doesn't matter if it's Cameron or Maclean, this baffling gaffes have been happening all season long. At some point, you have to ask how much is on the players and how much is on the coaching staff (and I say staff because Cameron was as much a problem on Maclean's staff as he is as coach now). This is why I hated the Cameron promotion. It wasn't enough of a change in determining what's up with the team. He might "coach differently" but the defensive message still seems to be the same.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Because the problem isn't the message, it's the players

Too young, not enough leadership

There is no quick fix for this, especially since we can't add veterans to help settle things down since we have too many bad contracts like Greening and Weircioch

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I can't believe that poster who literally said that Lehner's poor play was music to his ears.. Like wtf is wrong with him? What team do you cheer for?

This pathetic team. Right?

You still want Lehner in net?

If you are talking about the late in the period Klingberg goal, I thought that was Legwand who was late coming back in due to being lazy.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
I knew this goaltending trouble was going to start after Anderson was pulled vs Colorado.

Here's what should have happened.

Anderson plays vs Philly and Colorado (doesn't get pulled), then Lehner plays versus Arizona (weakest team on the road trip and worst offence by FAR), then Anderson takes Dallas and MTL games.

Because Andy was pulled when he shouldn't have been we ended up having to play him vs ARZ and then he sits Dallas so Lehner gets a game. Personally, that falls upon coaching to me.

The team needs to decide whether we are actually going for the playoffs or whether we are developing players. If you want to win games you need to be playing Andy as much as possible. Look at Holtby, the guy has started something like 25 games in a row.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad