Post-Game Talk: Sens @ SpezzaStars - 1/13/15 - the No Tank Talk Edition

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Anderson is a top goalie, the Hawks starter probably wasnt. Anderson didnt get his chance to become number one in Chicago because he played poorly. Lehner shouldnt get his chance until he out performs andy. Whether that it be through andy declining or Lehner elevating his play.
Is this in response to people saying Lehner should be our number 1?
Because that's not was I'm personally saying. And I don't think anyone else is either.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Meh, If Lehner does become a top 15 goalie all these guys will disappear and say stuff like they always believed in him.

Nah, I will say "Im glad he managed to achieve the potential he clearly had but at times didnt look like he would".

I would like nothing more than for Lehner to become a top goalie.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
well at least it was an entertaining game! Hoffman and Stone continue to impress. If the Sens can lock both of them up to long, fair contracts . . . that top 6 is a piece away from being very scary in a few seasons.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Is this in response to people saying Lehner should be our number 1?
Because that's not was I'm personally saying. And I don't think anyone else is either.

My posts on this topic have all being aimed to original point that Lehner should split starts with Anderson for the rest of the season so he can play more. If Lehner wants to be a starter he will need to out perform andy. I'm fine with the amounts of starts hes getting right now and his injury probaly made him miss 2 or 3 games.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
My posts on this topic have all being aimed to original point that Lehner should split starts with Anderson for the rest of the season so he can play more.

And you disagree with that? He probably shouldn't. Anderson is our number 1. And if we keep him then he should play most of the games.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Pretty much impossible to come by outside of drafting

Zibanejad was really good tonight, there's still reason to think he could become the top line centre we need

In 3 years

Im a big Zibanejad fan, I just dont know if his play style will ever let him be the #1C you kinda need. He isnt a passer. I could see him posting 30-40G seasons though. Maybe he could work though....he can certainly use his body to make space for his linemates.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Unfortunately that piece is a #1C. Not easy to come by.

Well depending on how Zibby develops, the Sens might be able to get away with 2 very good 2nd line centers.

We'll see. They're at least 2 or 3 years away from giving it a serious shot anyway.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Unfortunately that piece is a #1C. Not easy to come by.

I think we really need to start throwing the minutes at Zibanejad and see how he does. This will open up space for Turris. Zib has improved on face offs every season and the more he takes the better he will get. Pageau has been pretty impressive on the dot also. We are not going to find a #1c... we have to develop one ala Bergeron.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Im a big Zibanejad fan, I just dont know if his play style will ever let him be the #1C you kinda need. He isnt a passer. I could see him posting 30-40G seasons though. Maybe he could work though....he can certainly use his body to make space for his linemates.

Ryan is turning into quite the passer so I'm not too worried about that

Zibanejad, when he's on, is great at gaining the zone which is very encouraging

He just needs to be careful with his concussion history

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
When all is done. I will honestly be able to say "Anderson also didn't impress me his entire NHL career"

These are the exact kind of comments that has prompted this massive backlash on this board re: Lehner.

Many people on this forum became vociferous in how badly they wanted Lehner to be gifted the starting role after just a handful of good performances. To do so, they'd cut Anderson down to somehow prove their misguided point.

Now, the guys who stood behind Anderson are having their field day while Lehner struggles.

Maybe if everyone objectively looked at the goaltending, they'd see that this team is lucky to have a seasoned veteran to shelter a gifted prospect.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
These are the exact kind of comments that has prompted this massive backlash on this board re: Lehner.

Many people on this forum became vociferous in how badly they wanted Lehner to be gifted the starting role after just a handful of good performances. To do so, they'd cut Anderson down to somehow prove their misguided point.

Now, the guys who stood behind Anderson are having their field day while Lehner struggles.

Maybe if everyone objectively looked at the goaltending, they'd see that this team is lucky to have a seasoned veteran to shelter a gifted prospect.

Kids these days :rant:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
If we do end up with a top 5 pick we have a good chance to select a potential future one. Even without McEichel, you've got Strome and Marner

Not likely with how awful Buffalo, Edmonton, Carolina, Arizona and Jersey are

We aren't getting a sniff at the top 5 except via the lottery

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think we really need to start throwing the minutes at Zibanejad and see how he does. This will open up space for Turris. Zib has improved on face offs every season and the more he takes the better he will get. Pageau has been pretty impressive on the dot also. We are not going to find a #1c... we have to develop one ala Bergeron.
Ehh this team needs a bit more of an offensive spark than a Bergeron could provide.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

Agree with this

Like what Boston did with Thomas and rask

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Exactly. Lehner was going to struggle. Every young goalie struggles to find consistency. As long as he doesn't lose confidence and keeps trying that will come. He still has all the tools, he has size and natural ability.

As tempting as it would be to trade Anderson, i just don't see how the Senators can afford to do it. Lehner needs Anderson as much as the Senators do.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Meh. Same thing happened with spezza and karlsson. Can't beat em join em

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Lehner was supposed to share the starts this season... that was what was said going into the season and yet it has not happened. Come hell or high water this was supposed to be a playoff team say Melnyk, Murray, etc etc etc.

Do I think that Lehner should be handed the reigns? No... but now is the time to give him half the starts. Unless we win something crazy like 11 straight, it is time to start divvying up minutes and starts to let our young players develop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad