Confirmed with Link: Sens sign Scott Gomez to one-way, $575,000 deal

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Well, reading this board you would think that this team has been playing between 0.300 and 0.400 instead...

And you claimed that "every young player the team trades away seems to flourish elsewhere"... Are you going to back this up? Maybe you're talking about Greening? :sarcasm:

Greening was traded at age 29, is this young? :laugh:

Cowen would have been a better comeback for you. ;)

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Just gifting a kid icetime then watching him struggle on the ice, Is one of the major factors in this signing .If the kids preform it will be Gomez riding the pine period ,if not then the will have to work even harder to get past him next time they see the ice

OK, so gifting a 36 year old AHL player ice time is better in what way exactly?

The kids can't perform sitting watching Gomez now can they.:amazed:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
OK, so gifting a 36 year old AHL player ice time is better in what way exactly?

The kids can't perform sitting watching Gomez now can they.:amazed:
Which kids are you talking about ??also its not as if he wont sit if those very kids out preform him

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
They have won what 5 out of there last 8.

This is just a case of drawing an arbitrary line in the schedule.

The fact is the biggest change this team has made was the additional of Phaneuf and he has made a significant difference IMO.

Yet since his arrival the team has played 11 games, their record is 5-5-1 or .500.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
This is just a case of drawing an arbitrary line in the schedule.

The fact is the biggest change this team has made was the additional of Phaneuf and he has made a significant difference IMO.

Yet since his arrival the team has played 11 games, their record is 5-5-1 or .500.
A healthy Turris and that line is better

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Which kids are you talking about ??also its not as if he wont sit if those very kids out preform him

You are attempting to turn this into a circular argument and I'm not playing the game, sorry.

My last comment on this, McCormick, Puempel, Robinson, etc are the players I am talking about and they can't play sitting in Bingo or in the press box.

Lastly, I don't share your belief Cameron will stop playing Gomez regardless of how he plays.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Neil and Gomez combined have double the salary of Connor McDavid.
No wonder this team never goes anywhere

That's a very poor way of looking at it.

And actually, if you consider McDavid's bonuses he can achieve then he is clearly above Neil/Gomez.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
A healthy Turris and that line is better

In those five loses, excluding the shootout loss, the opposition averaged 4 goals for, with the goal differential being 10.

So while a healthy Turris might have made a difference it is a huge stretch to think the results would change to a great degree.

As a matter of fact Turris did scored in two shootout wins of the 5 total, but expecting him and his line to average 2+ goals a game to avoid those loses is overly optimistic IMO.

Suggesting this type of thing just isn't based in reality, its just what if.

What if Andy had 5 more shutouts, or Hoffman scored on 5 of the 10 posts, or what if Cameron could coach at this level. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
In those five loses, excluding the shootout loss, the opposition averaged 4 goals for, with the goal differential being 10.

So while a healthy Turris might have made a difference it is a huge stretch to think the results would change to a great degree.

Suggesting this type of thing just isn't based in reality, it just what if.

What if Andy had 5 more shutouts, or Hoffman scored on 5 of the 10 posts, or what if Cameron could coach at this level. :sarcasm:
Biggest thing Turris brings is puck possession time in the offensive zone ,Zibby Hoffy and Ryan have far too many one and done possessions in the ozone ,which leads to more time defending.And more chances against us .Not too hard o see why that is ,Zibby needs to control the center of the ice and learn to maintain the puck for longer than a few seconds :nod:

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I didn't accomplish all I wanted to at work today, but I'm really proud of trolling several people on here to actually consider the comparison of Neil/Gomez vs McDavid

Sentron5000

Mar 24, 2010
Matter of fact if you had read many of my post through the Murray bashing you would know I have been a strong supporter of his.

However that doesn't change the fact this team has been no better than a .500 team for the past several years, excluding a once in a lifetime 23-3-3 run last season.

2011-12 winning percentage .560
2012-13 winning percentage .583
2013-14 winning percentage 536
2014-15 winning percentage .603, prior to the streak .500
2015-16 winning percentage .515, no miracles this year.

Considering it takes .580 or higher to make the playoffs how is this team progressing exactly?

Never said there was no hope, just see no benefit in trying to fool myself about the current reality.

FYI Silf would be a big improvement over Neil or Chaisson, maybe even over Ryan the way he has been playing of late. ;)

2011-12 winning percentage .560 - top 8 scorers: Spezza, Karlsson, Michalek, Alfredsson, Foligno, Greening, Gonchar, Kuba (1 left on team)
2012-13 winning percentage .583 - top 8 scorers: Turris, Gonchar, Alfredsson, Zibanejad, Silfverberg, Greening, Wiercicoch, Smith (4 left on team)
2013-14 winning percentage 536 - top 8: Karlsson, Spezza, Turris, MacArthur, Ryan, Michalek, Zibanejad, Methot (6 left on team)
2014-15 winning percentage .603, prior to the streak .500 - top 8: Karlsson, Stone, Turris, Ryan, Hoffman, Zibanejad, MacArthur, Michalek (7 left on team)
2015-16 winning percentage .515, no miracles this year. - top 8: Karlsson, Stone, Ryan, Hoffman, Zibanejad, Pageau, Turris, Smith (8 left on team)

Winning percentage is relatively consistent, but the top players have turned over, That is the definition of a rebuild. The fact they have done it without tanking is impressive. Now, if there is no improvement from the core in the next couple of years without any further changes I would be concerned. But for now, this should be within expected results.

People are just too damn impatient for a rebuild on a budget. I just looked back at the original team from the 90's and how quickly they became a juggernaught. They made the playoffs in 96-97, but their record stunk (31-36-15). It wasn't until 98-99 that the team had a better than average record (44-23-15). Give this team a year with healthy bodies, and let's see what they can do.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Yo, what I absolutely loved was Gomez's passing on the PP.

First time in long time was someone setting up Karlsson on MORE THAN 1 chances to shoot!!!!!

It reminded me of Backstrom feeding Karlsson on team Sweden. IMO keep Gomez where he was last game and let him do his thing.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Yo, what I absolutely loved was Gomez's passing on the PP.

First time in long time was someone setting up Karlsson on MORE THAN 1 chances to shoot!!!!!

It reminded me of Backstrom feeding Karlsson on team Sweden. IMO keep Gomez where he was last game and let him do his thing.

Yeah he looked very good there. Better than anyone else spew have, so good signing if he can keep doing that.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Yeah he looked very good there. Better than anyone else spew have, so good signing if he can keep doing that.

It's not going to take teams long to adjust to the fact that Scott Gomez is going to pass 99.9% of the time on the PP.

You'd let him have his perimeter shot all day over guys like Karlsson / Ryan / Stone firing away.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I view this addition as almost as poor as the Legwand addition. Thank whatever it is for the rest of this season only.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
2011-12 winning percentage .560 - top 8 scorers: Spezza, Karlsson, Michalek, Alfredsson, Foligno, Greening, Gonchar, Kuba (1 left on team)
2012-13 winning percentage .583 - top 8 scorers: Turris, Gonchar, Alfredsson, Zibanejad, Silfverberg, Greening, Wiercicoch, Smith (4 left on team)
2013-14 winning percentage 536 - top 8: Karlsson, Spezza, Turris, MacArthur, Ryan, Michalek, Zibanejad, Methot (6 left on team)
2014-15 winning percentage .603, prior to the streak .500 - top 8: Karlsson, Stone, Turris, Ryan, Hoffman, Zibanejad, MacArthur, Michalek (7 left on team)
2015-16 winning percentage .515, no miracles this year. - top 8: Karlsson, Stone, Ryan, Hoffman, Zibanejad, Pageau, Turris, Smith (8 left on team)

Winning percentage is relatively consistent, but the top players have turned over, That is the definition of a rebuild. The fact they have done it without tanking is impressive. Now, if there is no improvement from the core in the next couple of years without any further changes I would be concerned. But for now, this should be within expected results.

People are just too damn impatient for a rebuild on a budget. I just looked back at the original team from the 90's and how quickly they became a juggernaught. They made the playoffs in 96-97, but their record stunk (31-36-15). It wasn't until 98-99 that the team had a better than average record (44-23-15). Give this team a year with healthy bodies, and let's see what they can do.

Very good post. I think exactly like the highlighted

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Neil and Gomez combined have double the salary of Connor McDavid.
No wonder this team never goes anywhere

lol what?

I agree the neil contract is dumb, but i hope you understand entry level contracts and that gomez is making NHL's minimum wage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad