Confirmed with Link: Sens sign Scott Gomez to one-way, $575,000 deal

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
Best of luck to him. He's a great skater and he can still dish the puck. I'm still convinced if the NHL had a 3rd assist stat, Gomez would be leading the league in that category. He's very good at gaining the zone and then dishing the puck off. He's also a good option on the PP, as he moves the puck around very well.

On a cheap deal like that? I'm sure he'll be fine in a bottom-six role.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
If some get there way the avg age of the Sens would be 21 no teams could and would play with there full team of players under 22.

Well I wouldn't agree with those people, I do believe in having a veteran presence, however I also believe those veterans have to be able to play well and contribute.

I really don't think most of the posters on here disagree with this either, but when the team isn't being successful and there are budget constraints people start to ask themselves why not all 21 year olds if they are better.

For the record I don't dislike Scott Gomez, I just feel there was a better approach for the organization going forward.

IMO a better decision would have been to play the kids over the next month and address the need for a veteran presence over the summer.

But what is done is done.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Well I wouldn't agree with those people, I do believe in having a veteran presence, however I also believe those veterans have to be able to play well and contribute.

I really don't think most of the posters on here disagree with this either, but when the team isn't being successful and there are budget constraints people start to ask themselves why not all 21 year olds if they are better.

For the record I don't dislike Scott Gomez, I just feel there was a better approach for the organization going forward.

IMO a better decision would have been to play the kids over the next month and address the need for a veteran presence over the summer.

They will play lots ,but them having to earn icetime is also a good idea

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If its not Gomez its Prince being the next great one.

For a guy that rode the bus in the ahl for like 200 games ,i expected a little more polish than what he showed

I like Prince. He has some decent skills. But, he has had a lot of time to develop and a few chances with the big club. It just didn't work out for him. This summer we'll be drafting a new crop of kids, and a few youngsters from 2014 & 2015 might be making the jump to Bingo. We simply can't keep everyone.

I hope he does well.....except when he's playing against the Sens.

......just so many pages or arguments over two little moves. It's so bizarre. Been some very strange volatile mood currents around here lately....and I'm not sure why. We've had seasons like this before. We've made trades/signings like this before. Why the freakout now?

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
You are forgetting the actual fact here ,being in the room .Is different from actually helping them where they need the help the most. and that would be on the ice

Actually I'm not, its you that believes Scott Gomez is going to make a difference playing 4th line minutes, a player that was never a defensive stalwart.

While I may disagree with the organization's decision to go with Gomez, those that suggest the team may benefit in the room from his experience, are more likely to be right than anyone expecting Scott to be a major contributor on the ice.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I like Prince. He has some decent skills. But, he has had a lot of time to develop and a few chances with the big club. It just didn't work out for him. This summer we'll be drafting a new crop of kids, and a few youngsters from 2014 & 2015 might be making the jump to Bingo. We simply can't keep everyone.

......just so many pages or arguments over two little moves. It's so bizarre. Been some very strange volatile mood currents around here lately....and I'm not sure why. We've had seasons like this before. We've made trades/signings like this before. Why the freakout now?
Yep, last season when we went on that run .Lots went right ,but us being healthy was the big one for me .We have a really good team here ,we just have never had the chance to see it fully healthy over a season .Key injuries,have killed us time and time again .Another piece or two added to this roster and it will be shocking as to how good it actually is

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014

It would be one thing if many would be logical but when some think Prince could score 30-40 a year thats a little bit of crazy talk.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario

......just so many pages or arguments over two little moves. It's so bizarre. Been some very strange volatile mood currents around here lately....and I'm not sure why. We've had seasons like this before. We've made trades/signings like this before. Why the freakout now?[/QUOTE]

Probably because this team isn't showing any progression and every young player the team trades away seems to flourish elsewhere.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Actually I'm not, its you that believes Scott Gomez is going to make a difference playing 4th line minutes, a player that was never a defensive stalwart.

While I may disagree with the organization's decision to go with Gomez, those that suggest the team may benefit in the room from his experience, are more likely to be right than anyone expecting Scott to be a major contributor on the ice.
Just gifting a kid icetime then watching him struggle on the ice, Is one of the major factors in this signing .If the kids preform it will be Gomez riding the pine period ,if not then the will have to work even harder to get past him next time they see the ice

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

......just so many pages or arguments over two little moves. It's so bizarre. Been some very strange volatile mood currents around here lately....and I'm not sure why. We've had seasons like this before. We've made trades/signings like this before. Why the freakout now?[/QUOTE]

Probably because this team isn't showing any progression and every young player the team trades away seems to flourish elsewhere.
Like who?/Silfverberg :laugh:This whole comment is a reach,no progression, no hope .Let me guess its Murray,s fault

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014

My guess is Prince will score 13 the next few weeks the Leafs will sign him to a 5 year deal and he score 2 next year and 4 the following year and they buy him out.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
It would be one thing if many would be logical but when some think Prince could score 30-40 a year thats a little bit of crazy talk.

Is it?

How many fans predicted Hoffman would score 25-30 goals two years ago?

Fact is nobody knows for sure how a player will progress given the right opportunities, even though many fans like to think they do. :nod:

There have been many players that were traded that went on to star in the league, Brent Hull, St Louis, Demitra, Bishop, etc.

Predicting the ceiling for players isn't a science.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
jbeck5 said:
Really? I don't remember people thinking anything outrageous.

I remember people expecting 0.5ppg...leadership...one of the better ppqb in the league. And that's what he was. They weren't expecting him to get 65 points and get norris votes. They were saying "provide leadership for karlsson, put up decent numbers, and run the powerplay."

And that's what he did

lol Gonchar was not only criticized but BASHED in his first year here... To the point where he even got booed in a game presentation... I also got insulted a lot as I was trying to defend him. I would not be surprised if this fanbase had "forgotten" about this, like nothing happened :shakehead

Ok then you disagree with them, but they make the decisions in the end. The approach of many I think is wait and see how it will play out (which is IMO always the best approach of wisdom)

For me, it's just another storm in a glass of water. Like really this is NO BIG DEAL.

Well, the world is about to collapse and it's like dogs who feel the storm is coming.

lol what?

Who are we talking about? I can't even think about one... Only one is Bishop who was already good when we traded him, but it's a goalie (market is different) and we thought we got a very good return for him. He benefits from playing on a good team.

Last edited:

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Is it?

How many fans predicted Hoffman would score 25-30 goals two years ago?

Fact is nobody knows for sure how a player will progress given the right opportunities, even though many fans like to think they do. :nod:

There have been many players that were traded that went on to star in the league, Brent Hull, St Louis, Demitra, Bishop, etc.

Predicting the ceiling for players isn't a science.

Yes it is crazy talk.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Like who?/Silfverberg :laugh:This whole comment is a reach,no progression, no hope .Let me guess its Murray,s fault

Guess again, I wasn't blaming anyone just offering an opinion on the poster's question.

Matter of fact if you had read many of my post through the Murray bashing you would know I have been a strong supporter of his.

However that doesn't change the fact this team has been no better than a .500 team for the past several years, excluding a once in a lifetime 23-3-3 run last season.

2011-12 winning percentage .560
2012-13 winning percentage .583
2013-14 winning percentage 536
2014-15 winning percentage .603, prior to the streak .500
2015-16 winning percentage .515, no miracles this year.

Considering it takes .580 or higher to make the playoffs how is this team progressing exactly?

Never said there was no hope, just see no benefit in trying to fool myself about the current reality.

FYI Silf would be a big improvement over Neil or Chaisson, maybe even over Ryan the way he has been playing of late. ;)

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Guess again, I wasn't blaming anyone just offering an opinion on the poster's question.

Matter of fact if you had read many of my post through the Murray bashing you would know I have been a strong supporter of his.

However that doesn't change the fact this team has been no better than a .500 team for the past several years, excluding a once in a lifetime 23-3-3 run last season.

2011-12 winning percentage .560
2012-13 winning percentage .583
2013-14 winning percentage 536
2014-15 winning percentage .603, prior to the streak .500
2015-16 winning percentage .515, no miracles this year.

Considering it takes .580 or higher to make the playoffs how is this team progressing exactly?

Never said there was no hope, just see no benefit in trying to fool myself about the current reality.

FYI Silf would be a big improvement over Neil or Chaisson, maybe even over Ryan the way he has been playing of late. ;)

Well, reading this board you would think that this team has been playing between 0.300 and 0.400 instead...

And you claimed that "every young player the team trades away seems to flourish elsewhere"... Are you going to back this up? Maybe you're talking about Greening? :sarcasm:

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Ok then you disagree with them, but they make the decisions in the end. The approach of many I think is wait and see how it will play out (which is IMO always the best approach of wisdom)

Don't disagree the Ottawa Senators make the decisions regarding the team.

However I get to make the decision on whether or not they get my entertainment dollar, or in this case $8000 of them for 2 seats in the 100 level.

Unfortunately there is more to wisdom than waiting. ;)

lol what?

Who are we talking about? I can't even think about one... Only one is Bishop who was already good when we traded him, but it's a goalie (market is different) and we thought we got a very good return for him. He benefits from playing on a good team.

Interesting how you equate market to potential for goaltenders.

It all about evaluating the players potential regardless of the position, its not about the return, so market has nothing to do with it.

IMO the young players the Sens traded are doing better, are you suggesting Bishop, Lehner and Prince aren't?

Bishop is the #1 guy in Tampa, Lehner is establishing himself as the #1 in Buffalo and Prince is playing for NYI, not sitting in the press box.

While you suggest Bishop's success is because the team is better, I think Tampa is largely where it is because of Bishop.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
They have won what 5 out of there last 8.

You have a weird habit of saying things completely irrelevant to what you are quoting.

Anyways, I thought Gomez looked at least competent on the PP so that's a positive. I think he will help on that front for the remainder of the season getting Karlsson points in the process.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Years and year of 500 hockey and it's starting to feel like .300

Man it would be so interesting to see the Sens become the Oilers of the East just to witness the collapse and enjoy the tears. I know it's weird but man that would be hilarious.

Don't disagree the Ottawa Senators make the decisions regarding the team.

However I get to make the decision on whether or not they get my entertainment dollar, or in this case $8000 of them for 2 seats in the 100 level.

Unfortunately there is more to wisdom than waiting. ;)

If you (and many others don't), that will eventually sent the Sens to another place... Since I don't live in Ottawa, for me it's not that important in which city they play (however it depends, it could if it is too far)

That decision is in your hands guys.

Interesting how you equate market to potential and not return.

It all about evaluating the players potential regardless of the position, its not about the return, so market has nothing to do with it.

IMO the young players the Sens traded are doing better, are you suggesting Bishop, Lehner and Prince aren't?

Bishop is the #1 guy in Tampa, Lehner is establishing himself as the #1 in Buffalo and Prince is playing for NYI, not sitting in the press box.

While you suggest Bishop's success is because the team is better, I think Tampa is largely where it is because of Bishop.

I only said Bishop benefits from playing in Tampa, not saying he is not a good goalie, but most teams have a good goalie. I find that the Lightning have a very good system, they are good defensively. A good structure can help a goalie like Elliott to have very good stats too. The young Vasilevskiy has a 0.914 SV% behind Bishop... Last year he had 0.918 while Bishop had 0.916

Lehner is also going to be a good goalie, he's been good for long stretches with the Sens before. We got a 1st for him and cleared 3 millions so maybe it was worth it since the pick turned into Colin White who could be a difference maker and help the Sens reach the next step (which is always the most difficult thing to do for a bubble team). The guy wanted to be the N.1 already but the team chose that Anderson was still going to be the guy for the next few years and the inconsistency/behaviour of Lehner made them trade him.

Regarding Prince, I don't see what makes him different so far than Da Costa, Petersson, Filatov, Conacher, Regin... skilled guys who had trouble to establish themselves in the league. I wish him the best, we never know. For every Hoffman, there's 10 Filatovs

Bishop is doing good, Lehner COULD be doing good, for Prince it really remains to be seen. But there's so many of those guys that the Sens let go that seem to vanish or disappear, even though the fanbase was outraged at first.

Last edited:

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
You have a weird habit of saying things completely irrelevant to what you are quoting.

Anyways, I thought Gomez looked at least competent on the PP so that's a positive. I think he will help on that front for the remainder of the season getting Karlsson points in the process.
'
No its people not reading or understand what i am saying.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
No this is not being cheap this is about trying to get some older players in there to help the kids.

There are enough vets on the team now. There is no need to add more particularly those who are no longer at peak performance or NHL level and who will take NHL experience time away from developing prospects. This team needs more talent, not over the hill vets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad