Confirmed with Link: Sens sign Johnny Oduya to a 1 year deal

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Ya the fact that they're tied together in any trade at a 14 mil cap hit is gonna make it tough for Van. Even a team trying to acquire them at the deadline would have to leave a fair amount of cap room open and no team is gonna do that just on the hope that they can trade for them mid year.

What cap room would their 14 mil salary require if they were acquired at the deadline this year?

How is a player's salary charged against a team's salary cap when a trade is made at the
deadline?

The salary that is charged against a team's cap is the pro rated amount remaining of the
player's average yearly salary. For example, if a player has an average yearly salary of $2 million, the amount charged against the acquiring team's cap is the pro-rated amount remaining of $2 million.

This is calculated by dividing $2 million by the number of days in the season (186). The
amount ($10,753) is then multiplied by the number of days remaining in the season from the day the trade is made (42 days if trade is on Feb. 28) to ascertain the amount charged against the team's cap ($451,613).

https://www.nhl.com/news/trade-deadline-q-a/c-409700

Based on that 42/186 is 22.5% of the year so about 22.5% of 7 mil each... I replied above using 23%. It would cost about 3.2 million give or take to acquire both at the TDL

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Correct me if i'm wrong but pro rated is still more then 4Mil..

And why would Vancouver take on a long term commitment like a Ryan or a Phaneuf for 2 contracts that will be gone in a few months..

Their ask would be ridiculous..

I did the math a while back, and their cost at the deadline would be roughly 4 mil. If we made the deal,Vancouver would likely just want futures and young roster players,

The good part is they are probably only available as a package deal (as they hold NMC and like being together) and not many teams could accommodate both sending back only futures.

If I had to guess 2 firsts and a good prospect might be a start.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Even then they would need to retain.. And the ask is going to include at least one of White/Brown/Bowers+pick..

And thats hoping for the best case scenario with our bonuses to come in under the cap..

Only way I see it working is if all (or most) of these happen:

1) Mac is LTIR'd
2) VAN retains
3) It doesn't cost us one of our top prospects (Brown/White/Bowers/Chabot)

And lets not forget that the Sedins have said they want to stay in Vancouver.. and if they were to waive they probably want a commitment with it (Like Burrows)..

Not really , if I calculated it right. They have the room... just need the pieces and the no extension. ... just make it happen , no excuses :laugh:

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
I did the math a while back, and their cost at the deadline would be roughly 4 mil. If we made the deal,Vancouver would likely just want futures and young roster players,

The good part is they are probably only available as a package deal (as they hold NMC and like being together) and not many teams could accommodate both sending back only futures.

Thats a hefty price.. And only leaves us with like 100K for bonuses/callups (assuming best case scenarios for everyone.. AKA no long term injuries..)

at 2 1sts+Good prospect (Say Chlapik), I'm not even close to making that deal for a few months of the Sedins..

I'm all for the idea of the Sedins in Ottawa. I just don't see how it'll work both financially, and value wise for both teams

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
https://www.nhl.com/news/trade-deadline-q-a/c-409700

Based on that 42/186 is 22.5% of the year so about 22.5% of 7 mil each... I replied above using 23%. It would cost about 3.2 million give or take to acquire both at the TDL

Thanks for doing the math for me. That's pretty steep for a team to take on. Should be interesting. We're one of the few teams that could potentially be in a position to do so but I certainly wouldn't want us holding back now just in case of that possibility.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Thanks for doing the math for me. That's pretty steep for a team to take on. Should be interesting. We're one of the few teams that could potentially be in a position to do so but I certainly wouldn't want us holding back now just in case of that possibility.

It would be a bold "All In" move that's for sure ... lot's of risk to try to win it all. A key player is injured before the end of the season or in an early round and ... it might not turn out the way ya planned.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Even then they would need to retain.. And the ask is going to include at least one of White/Brown/Bowers+pick..

And thats hoping for the best case scenario with our bonuses to come in under the cap..

Only way I see it working is if all (or most) of these happen:

1) Mac is LTIR'd
2) VAN retains
3) It doesn't cost us one of our top prospects (Brown/White/Bowers/Chabot)

And lets not forget that the Sedins have said they want to stay in Vancouver.. and if they were to waive they probably want a commitment with it (Like Burrows)..

The Sedins have said they want to stay in Vancouver and they really seem to mean it. The only way I could see them waiving is if they have a chance at a cup, get to play with friends, and stay in Canada. Sens were just one goal away from the finals, we have their former linemate, the best Swede in the game, and two more Swedes on the backend. To summarize, the Sens look like one of a few teams the Sedins would consider going, if not the only one.

We'd only be renting the Sedins for a couple months, as they are UFAs who will either retire from the NHL or re-sign in Vancouver to finish their careers. We'd also be one of the only suitors for them in the league.

Theoretically Dorion would have all the leverage to get them at a great price. Having said this, we're talking about a guy who had all the leverage in the world and still managed to give up a top prospect in Dahlen for Alex freaking Burrows, so who knows.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Best thing about this deal is adding another Swede that could help convince the Sedin brothers to waive their NMCs at the deadline

Karlsson, Oduya, Claesson and their friend/former linemate Burrows all now on the team.

Adding the Sedins would make the team a legit cup contender. Hope that the Burrows trade and Oduya signing was Dorion playing 4D chess trying to get the Sedins to waive for us.

What we don't know about PD & his management group is what their strategy is long term for this franchise? If we assume they want to win now than a move like you are suggesting might work, although, it would have to be a deadline deal. I would like the Sedins but who would they want from Ottawa & can Ottawa afford to give up these young players? They do need to do so something to create a buzz around the team again, not even a playoff run last yr attracted enough attention to the team sadly nor has anything they have done this off season. A big trade for the Sedins IMO anyway would certainly draw a lot of attention their way.

If PD has a longer strategy plan than I would think he won't be moving any "blue chip" prospects such as Chabot, White, Brown or Bowers. I imagine he will play more of a waiting game for these young guys to mature enough to create a competitive NHL team at some point in the future. I often wonder if in this small market & with Melnyk as the owner if he isn't just happy enough to keep the Sens as playoff contenders yr after yr to assure he breaks even at worse. Trading away the future could mean a number of lean yrs & I'm not so sure he would be prepared to lose a lot of money again or would he want to spend to the cap? Having a competitive team yr after yr at the least assures some playoff success & playoff revenue coming in. What's PDs strategy & what's Melnyk's strategy & which way is this team headed are the questions of the day & whether these guys are in sync. With the signing of Oduya to me indicates that they want their prospects learning the game in the minors so they can be more NHL ready when they get their call up & the use of more vets. There are just so many variables around any big deals or trades with this team & so much to consider including exactly what this owners long term game is with this franchise.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Wouldn't cost nearly that much.

Sedins have full NMCs and will only waive for a legit contender, and that legit contender needs to be able to afford them. They also will probably only waive for a team that they have connections with, such as another CDN team with a couple friends (Karlsson, Oduya, Burrows).

If the Sedins decide to waive, there will be a very limited number of suitors. That will lower the price to something much more reasonable than Brown+picks/prospects. I'd expect something like Dzingel/prospect + 2nd.

No way you get two forwards as good as the Sedins for Dzingel and a 2nd. That is crazy. Unless Dzingel has put up one hell of a season by the trade deadline.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Why on earth do you think they'd return that much? We're not trading for the Sedins when they were superstars. We're trading for two guys who combined for 96 points in 164 games (48P average over 82GP). That was the production they put up as 36YR olds. This will be their 37YR old season, so theoretically they should get worse, not better.

Plus Benning would have little to no leverage, given that the Sedins have NMCs and can basically pick and choose where they get to go. Sens are one of the only teams that can afford them, have proven to be able to go far in the playoffs, and have friends and former teammates on the team.

I'd guess they'd each return around a 2nd each all things considered, which would translate to something like Dzingel/Perron/Paul + 2019 2nd, or our 2018 1st.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It would be a bold "All In" move that's for sure ... lot's of risk to try to win it all. A key player is injured before the end of the season or in an early round and ... it might not turn out the way ya planned.

Those big all in moves don't usually work out in any sport. I guess it depends what's going the other way. If there's no other legit options for the Sedins, we have the room, and we get them for a song then it might be worth it.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
No way you get two forwards as good as the Sedins for Dzingel and a 2nd. That is crazy. Unless Dzingel has put up one hell of a season by the trade deadline.

Sedins are 40-50P players at this point in their careers, not the superstars they once were.

40-50P UFA forwards generally get a late 1st/early 2nd at the deadline. This past TD a lot of good forwards returned 3rd-7th round picks. Might have been a major buyers market because of the upcoming expansion, or maybe GMs are finally starting to smarten up and realize that buying at inflated deadline prices doesn't make sense unless you are a legit contender.

It's crazy to think that adding in the Sedin twins' NMCs and Benning's lack of leverage will allow them to return more than a good young forward + 2nd.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
What leverage did Benning have with Burrows?

No leverage whatsoever.

Didn't stop Dorion from giving up a top prospect though.

I'm saying Dzingel + 2nd is probably fair value given the circumstances. I'm not saying that is what Dorion will give up to get the Sedins.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Look at what Hanzel + White went for last year. A 1st +2nd + a conditional 4th (possible 2nd).

The Sedins, quite easily, get more than this at the deadline.

Only hitch is the caphit, they'd have to take money back from the Sens.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
If Oduya has a bit of a bounceback season, this could be the best bargain signing of the off-season. I could 100% see Oduya playing with EK should EK not have a reliable parter. If Oduya is a 15-20 point solid defensive guy witohut EK he could push 25+ with him.

I don't think Oduya's gonna have any sort of bounce back season at 36. He is what he is. No one should expect him to play 1st pairing minutes more than a few games at a time.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If you think fair value for the Sedins is Dzingel and a 2nd, you're gonna be disappointed in every trade we make.

Dzingel + 2nd is fair value to rent two 40-50P forwards for a couple months.

More than fair value when you consider Benning will have little to no leverage if the Sedins decide they want to come to Ottawa to play with Karlsson, Burrows and Oduya.

Look at what Hanzel + White went for last year. A 1st +2nd + a conditional 4th (possible 2nd).

Hanzal didn't have a full NMC, and at this point in his career he is a better player than Henrik or Daniel.

Hanzal didn't get to pick and choose where he went - Chayka got to do that.

Sedins get to pick and choose where they go (assuming they want to be traded) - Benning won't have much of a choice, just like when he traded Kesler for a disappointing return.

yoplait

May 4, 2011
Good move, better to get him as a UFA than overpay for someone like him with "experience" at the deadline.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

do you think that the Canucks ownership wants to pay them for most of the season or save 14 million and gets maybe less in return?

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017

More than fair value when you consider Benning will have little to no leverage if the Sedins decide they want to come to Ottawa to play with Karlsson, Burrows and Oduya.

Hanzal didn't have a full NMC, and at this point in his career he is a better player than Henrik or Daniel.

Sedins get to pick and choose where they go (assuming they want to be traded) - Benning won't have much of a choice, just like when he traded Kesler for a disappointing return.

Ok well the Sens could ice an all Swedish team, wear Sweden's national jerseys and their goal song could be the Swedish national anthem but I don't think it would matter because the Sedins aren't coming to Ottawa. They've stated time and time again Vancouver is the only place they want to play.

That Kesler deal great received pretty good praise around Vancouver considering he only gave them Anaheim as an option. A first, a top 9 forward and a top 6 Dman was not a disappointing return with a 1 team trade list.

Dzingel and a 2nd(in 2019?) is not even close to what they would consider moving their franchise players for.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

So you would've traded basically two Alfredsson's(In his last year) for Dzingel and a 2nd??

Dream on.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
do you think that the Canucks ownership wants to pay them for most of the season or save 14 million and gets maybe less in return?

It's not up to ownership, both players have full NMC this year. And Aquilini would never ask the twins to waive unless they were ready to move on (at the TDL), which seems really unlikely.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI

A) Its not up to the owners its up to the Sedins whether they wanna be traded..
B) The owners have been telling Benning and co. to buy for years now to keep the Sedins competetive
C) In Vancouver the Sedins bring in a hell of alot more then 14Mil in revenue. The owners will undoubtedly ride that as long as they can

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00