Confirmed with Link: Sens sign Johnny Oduya to a 1 year deal

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
After 10 games I can't see Oduya replacing Methot, like at all. IMO he has no business playing with Karl and makes his ex-partners Claesson and Boro look good in comparison.
Ugh our pro scouting strikes again.

Last edited:

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
He's a bottom pairing, $1 million veteran player. And he plays like that.

I really don't know why they're trying to fit him into a more expansive role. He's simply not that guy.

Reactions: FormentonTheFuture

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
If you play with Karlsson it doesn’t mean you’re a top pairing guy .

In fact they would just plug him on the bottom pair and play him 10 mins a night if they really wanted to save money by not giving him performance bonuses

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
If you play with Karlsson it doesn’t mean you’re a top pairing guy .

In fact they would just plug him on the bottom pair and play him 10 mins a night if they really wanted to save money by not giving him performance bonuses

Exactly. Methot was basically our #4. By Putting Oduya with Karlsson means the other 2 pairings are better. Karlsson just needs a stable partner.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
After 10 games I can't see Oduya replacing Methot, like at all. IMO he has no business playing with Karl and makes his ex-partners Claesson and Boro look good in comparison.

He wasn't brought on as a top pairing dman. That's more on Boucher for misusing him, imo.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He's clearly not on methots level; id prefer Claesson play with Karlsson. Oduya is prone to major gaffes, always has been.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
He is 100% over-performing based on his contract. We are getting a deal on his contributions weighed against his salary. I can't imagine anyone arguing against this point.

That being said, he's clearly looking like a placeholder out there with Karlsson on the 1st pairing. I'm willing to give him another dozen games or so with EK to either prove that he can play there before starting to wonder about a change on that pairing - willing to wait because he's new to Boucher's system and maybe the gaffes in his game are due to the steep learning curve of both playing with a unique defenceman like EK and/or the steep learning curve of The System - but if Christmas rolls around and we're seeing the same play out of Oduya, then maybe we need to seriously consider giving the role to Claesson, or someone else.

Basically - I'm fine with trying out new players and giving extended auditions - 25/30 games or so - but what we need to be worried about is a Chris Kelly scenario, where the player gets a full 82 games in the spot, and Boucher deciding on the eve of the playoffs to finally move him out of that role, leaving us in a spot where we don't trust the guy who has been there all season, and the guy replacing him hasn't played in that spot all year.

Right now, we're trying things. I'm fine with that. I just want to be sure that if it becomes apparent by January that the chemistry in the EK-Oduya pairing isn't improving, or Oduya isn't catching up to the system by then, that we have the foresight to cut bait in time so that we are 100% sure of our pairings for the playoffs.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Oduya is a fine plug to fill in while Chabot and Jaros get seasoned in the minors. That's all. Similar to having Kelly and Neil play during the regular season last year to be replaced by better options via trade.

Reactions: Mr Hat

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Also, Oduya does not belong on the ice for 3 v 3. That's all.

I'd have him 6th on our depth chart behind Karlsson, Ceci, Phaneuf, Claesson and Wideman, ahead of Boro. This assumes we don't have Chabot in the lineup.

Strange decision to have him out there with Karlsson 3v3, not that it had any particular impact.

I like Oduya, but I don't want him anchored to Karlsson.

If I had my way, I'd line up the D like this:

Claesson-Karlsson
Oduya-Ceci
Phaneuf-Wideman/Chabot(when he's called up)
Boro (in for 11-7 games, and rotates in for injuries)

Reactions: God Says No

Prattalot

Jan 11, 2009
Winnipeg
willing to wait because he's new to Boucher's system and maybe the gaffes in his game are due to the steep learning curve
I can assure you it isn't. He was called Jonny O'Giveaway while he was in Winnipeg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad