Confirmed with Link: Sens sign Johnny Oduya to a 1 year deal

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It would be even better if there was no need for . . . Karlsson!

But I digress into nonsense!

What I was trying to say is if the young guys could improve to a point where they can play as well as or pass Phaneuf's play .. I don't think its so unrealistic. I get Phaneuf brings a lot of experience and is a ****** to play against but I am hoping that Claesson and Harper and Englund and Jaros can improve and bring enough to be legit 2nd pair material.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Maybe I'm crazy....but half the time, it looks like the entire team is skating in mud on our ice. I'm not so sure the problem with Phaneuf is his slow feet, or our crappy ice.

You'd think the Sens would put a premium on getting better ice quality in our barn, to help out our speedsters like Hoff and Erik.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
What I was trying to say is if the young guys could improve to a point where they can play as well as or pass Phaneuf's play .. I don't think its so unrealistic. I get Phaneuf brings a lot of experience and is a ****** to play against but I am hoping that Claesson and Harper and Englund and Jaros can improve and bring enough to be legit 2nd pair material.

Between those 4 you could have a legit bottom 2 pairs.

Chabot-Karlsson
Englund-Jaros
Claesson-Harpur/Ceci

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

That would be great; however, I don't think any of them will surpass Phaneuf's overall career level of play. They might reach his current level of play as he has slowed a lot. I like his physical nasty play in front of the net. This team needs more of that. Other than Boro, I don't think any of the Defencemen including Methot were nasty to play against.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Maybe I'm crazy....but half the time, it looks like the entire team is skating in mud on our ice. I'm not so sure the problem with Phaneuf is his slow feet, or our crappy ice.

You'd think the Sens would put a premium on getting better ice quality in our barn, to help out our speedsters like Hoff and Erik.

I thought at one time the ice in Ottawa was ranked near the top of the league. We did have 3 pylonesque defensemen in the recent past, but they are gone now.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
That would be great; however, I don't think any of them will surpass Phaneuf's overall career level of play. They might reach his current level of play as he has slowed a lot. I like his physical nasty play in front of the net. This team needs more of that. Other than Boro, I don't think any of the Defencemen including Methot were nasty to play against.

It was so refreshing to finally have a guy willing to dish out the Chara like cross checks, slashes and hits. That sort of thing absolutely has an impact on the opponents mentality. I know when it happens to me on the is it makes me so frustrated I just want to start swinging my stick back at them like a ****ing baseball bat.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
It was so refreshing to finally have a guy willing to dish out the Chara like cross checks, slashes and hits. That sort of thing absolutely has an impact on the opponents mentality. I know when it happens to me on the is it makes me so frustrated I just want to start swinging my stick back at them like a ****ing baseball bat.

Absolutely, Phaneuf filled his role exceptionally well in the playoffs. Maybe we see him get a few maintenance days this coming year to 1) keep those old legs fresh, 2) work some young guys in for experience.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
My recollection of Oduya after limited views is that he is a very good skater.

I found the following scouting report on him which although dated 2012 seems to confirm this:

"Here’s a quick scouting report from one of Johnny Oduya’s former NHL coaches.

“I really liked him. He’s strong on the puck down low. He’s smart; an excellent skater. He’s got more offensive ability than you think. I’m not sure why he’s had such a tough year. He’s a solid No. 4 or No. 5 "

Source: ChicagoNow.
http://www.chicagonow.com/just-bloggin-from-the-booth/2012/02/nhl-scouting-report-on-newcomer-oduya/

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
My recollection of Oduya after limited views is that he is a very good skater.

He's been effectively skating on one ankle now for a year +.

I hope this offseason has given him enough time to really rehab it to where it won't be a problem this year. He was a very good skater until recently. If healthy, he can absolutely still keep up, but I worry that it might be a nagging thing this season.

I'm still happy about the signing, but I also am being realistic about it as well.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He's been effectively skating on one ankle now for a year +.

I hope this offseason has given him enough time to really rehab it to where it won't be a problem this year. He was a very good skater until recently. If healthy, he can absolutely still keep up, but I worry that it might be a nagging thing this season.

I'm still happy about the signing, but I also am being realistic about it as well.

I did not know of his injury. There must have been reasons for him bouncing around between teams (Chicago & Dallas) and now being available as UFA. Hopefully he has fully recovered from his ankle injury & whatever else might be ailing him.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Dorion says why sign an older guy when you have young guys coming up and ready (jaros, harpur, chabot)

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
Because Guy likes Vets on Defense and Karlsson likes him as a possible partner. Young guns will battle between each other for a potential spot on this team. Spot needs to be earned it won't be given.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
He said this? Did he mention those guys specifically by name? And are those the only guys he named?

He said that exact thing. I added the guys in brackets because those are the guys he was talking about answering other questions.
Said if werenski can step in and play like that then chabot should be able too. And harpur already playing well in post season. And Jaros has songs about him in Sweden and he's not even Swedish. Implied all three are ready for NHL time.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
He said that exact thing. I added the guys in brackets because those are the guys he was talking about answering other questions.
Said if werenski can step in and play like that then chabot should be able too. And harpur already playing well in post season. And Jaros has songs about him in Sweden and he's not even Swedish. Implied all three are ready for NHL time.

Cool, thanks for clarifying :)

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

the last player that had a song on our team was traded

so im definitely not getting attached to jaros

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Dorion says why sign an older guy when you have young guys coming up and ready (jaros, harpur, chabot)

Probably had some input from Boucher. I am guessing. He also said they were in on Oduya from July 2nd. I think we have to take these interviews on prospects with a grain of salt. He went from... High fiving and Werenski can play so can Chabot, to it will be up to Boucher when Oduya was signed. I really like Boucher. I have a feeling though, that if he had his druthers he'd druther use a partially broken down vet than a rookie (not saying Oduya is broken down). Pure conjecture but it's a bit of worry that I have. The coach and GM have to be on the same page but there has to be a balance imo as part of player development, which is more the purview of the GM in the Sens case. This also goes to the quality of team being iced in the AHL. They do not have to be Calder candidates but they should be competitive, in order to develop the prospects more completely in all situations. Chabot and White et al , could easily be expected to earn their stripes in the AHL at least to start the year. On a team that can't compete at both ends of the rink , that is a really tough way to do it.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
As someone who works in pay for the GoC:

I HATE it when people use their middle name as their first name.

Then again, Oduya ain't getting paid by PeopleSoft feeding Pheonix!!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So second interview in a row (I think) where Boucher implies that Oduya is one of our top two guys (the other being Karlsson) when taking about the D that are currently out of the lineup injured.

I really wonder how well line them up when everybody is back healthy, particularly if Claesson continues to play like he did against Vancouver.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
so he could be back for this trip out west according the PD?

I thought i heard that yesterday so just confirming

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->