Confirmed with Link: Sens sign Cole Schneider to 2 year contract

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Curious why a NCAA prospect would sign with Ottawa considering the depth at forward that they have.... but here is what I would guess at.... He like the development process in Ottawa, and feels that that is what he really needs, and not a easy road to the NHL for a weak team. Just guessing.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I just can't get excited about this guy. If he works out .......great but I think Starling is bang on in his expectations. Big numbers in a very weak college division shouldn't generate the type of euphoria some people are expressing here.

Have any of you guys ever actually heard of this guy before today?

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
I just can't get excited about this guy. If he works out .......great but I think Starling is bang on in his expectations. Big numbers in a very weak college division shouldn't generate the type of euphoria some people are expressing here.

Have any of you guys ever actually heard of this guy before today?

Don't think anyone is really expecting much, just happy that we're an attractive destination and that a prospect's been picked up without any downside whatsoever.

Some more via DM from UConn126:

"I wish I could offer you a solid scouting report, but I've hard a rough, time consuming schedule this year and haven't made it to too many UConn hockey games, which is a shame because most of them are free. From what I've seen, he has great scoring touch and great play making ability. He's an all around gifted offensive player. Every time he was on the ice he was noticeably the best player, which doesn't say much as our team is a fairly pathetic excuse for division 1 college hockey, but he did lead us to our best season in quite some time. He never really stuck out to me as having NHL potential, but that's mostly because I never got to watch him play against teams like BC, BU, or the other hockey east teams that generally have a few NHL prospects on them to compare him against. As for play in his own zone, nothing about his play ever stuck out to me as being exceptionally good or bad, but like I said, my sample size is limited. Hopefully this small bit of insight has helped you out bit. Sorry I couldn't offer much more.

I just talked to my roommate, who attend almost all the home games this year, and he pretty much had the same things to say as me, but added he's a "very diverse forward" and probably a couple years away from contending for an NHL role. He also added he couldn't recall if he was part of the PK unit or not."

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Well, I didn't make the connection and I assume most people didn't as well. Cole Schneider is closer to Wacey Hamilton and Pat Cannone than Mika Zibanejad who was drafted 6th overall last year. They shouldn't be in the same discussion

They need to sign good players for the AHL too (like when they signed DD, Cannone and Hamilton). Another thing they look for when they sign that kind of player is upside and determination, and with a good work ethic it could eventually produce a NHL player

Finally, they do sign those free agents to offset the picks they traded. Great asset management.

Traded a 2nd round pick? Not even mad, going to sign a Butler or a Da Costa. Traded a 4th round pick? Not even mad, going to sign a Winchester or a Dziurzynski

Those guys didn't cost anything in terms of assets, just a bit of money.

Winchester makes 750 000$ (close to minimum) and is actually a very good 4th liner. Great on face-offs and along the boards, great on the PK, good defensive awareness and has produced 18 pts per 82 games played (229 NHL Games Played)

Butler (1.05 cap hit) has a disappointing sophomore season but most NHL players do in their 2nd season. That being said, he still has a career pace of 33 pts per 82 games played... Not bad for a guy who played most of those games in a sophomore season and also a bunch of them on the 4th line. He has also hit a ridiculous number of posts this year, very snakebitten.

That being said, we have another guy named Stephane Da Costa (Also Dziurzynski, Cannone, Schira and Hamilton but they were more AHL signings IMO) waiting for an opportunity

Yup, another case of unrealistic expectations hockey fan syndrome

PS : Murray also found Chris Kunitz but wasn't the one who signed McDonald...

Looks like I was wrong :sarcasm:

Cole is a great free wallet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad