Confirmed with Link: Sens sign Cole Schneider to 2 year contract

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Nearly two years ago, Vancouver signed a young man named Chris Tanev. He played for an Atlantic Hockey school - RIT to be exact. From what I understand, Chris is doing really well with the Canucks organization. Could Cole Schneider be another "hidden gem"? We shall see.

Interesting to note that Tim Murray (our Assistant GM) recently said we thought Chris Tanev would be signing with us at that time.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
everyone thought tanev was ours. He had dinner with tim a day or two before he signed with vancouver apparently.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
give us some insight oilerchick. In the NA it looked like he was a goal scorer, but his stats show that hes more of a playmaker in college. How does he play? One article said he was a power forward but he doesn't seem very big for one....how physical is he? Is he top 6 or bust or what

DeVoice

Jan 26, 2012
Sarnia
one thing i have noticed is Brians willingness to trust his scouts. This has turned out well because he assembled a team bent on the NEW Nhl game and thus far they have been giving us pretty good odds.

my question is he suited for the New Nhl?

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
I'm not a huge fan of NCAA signings in general, I don't expect to see this guy become a top-6 guy in the NHL. Time will tell if he finds a role. Let's hope he can help out Bingo down the stretch.

:sigh:, never heard anyone say they are against free agent prospects. We are better as an organization for signing him. Why are you judging someone that you have never seen play?

Im estatic, we have an NCAA prospect signing to strengthen our team. Hopefully more to come

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
No...It was to symbolize that those stats are amazing and he is our new shiny new toy prospect dethroning Zibanejad as our top prospect, hence making him expendable.

No need to be hasty there, I didn't expect everyone to get it :)

Well, I didn't make the connection and I assume most people didn't as well. Cole Schneider is closer to Wacey Hamilton and Pat Cannone than Mika Zibanejad who was drafted 6th overall last year. They shouldn't be in the same discussion

Why would we sign him if we don't think he could be somewhat useful?

They need to sign good players for the AHL too (like when they signed DD, Cannone and Hamilton). Another thing they look for when they sign that kind of player is upside and determination, and with a good work ethic it could eventually produce a NHL player

Finally, they do sign those free agents to offset the picks they traded. Great asset management.

Traded a 2nd round pick? Not even mad, going to sign a Butler or a Da Costa. Traded a 4th round pick? Not even mad, going to sign a Winchester or a Dziurzynski

Hopefully Murray can finally find a gem as he has struck out big time with our Collge signings. Winchester and Butler are terrible.

I want more Penner, McDonald, Glencross, Boyle etc...

Those guys didn't cost anything in terms of assets, just a bit of money.

Winchester makes 750 000$ (close to minimum) and is actually a very good 4th liner. Great on face-offs and along the boards, great on the PK, good defensive awareness and has produced 18 pts per 82 games played (229 NHL Games Played)

Butler (1.05 cap hit) has a disappointing sophomore season but most NHL players do in their 2nd season. That being said, he still has a career pace of 33 pts per 82 games played... Not bad for a guy who played most of those games in a sophomore season and also a bunch of them on the 4th line. He has also hit a ridiculous number of posts this year, very snakebitten.

That being said, we have another guy named Stephane Da Costa (Also Dziurzynski, Cannone, Schira and Hamilton but they were more AHL signings IMO) waiting for an opportunity

Yup, another case of unrealistic expectations hockey fan syndrome

PS : Murray also found Chris Kunitz but wasn't the one who signed McDonald...

Last edited:

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
give us some insight oilerchick. In the NA it looked like he was a goal scorer, but his stats show that hes more of a playmaker in college. How does he play? One article said he was a power forward but he doesn't seem very big for one....how physical is he? Is he top 6 or bust or what

I gave a brief rundown on Cole on the prospects board. You can check it out there.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
OH, ALSO:

I'm fairly sure this puts us at 50 contracts right now. I could be wrong, though. Someone might want to double check that, don't take my word for it.

... Unless "sliding contracts" don't count. Not sure if they do. If not, we have lots of space left this year...

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Not saying i'm a huge fan of butler but to add to xspyrit's post, he also has 4 game winning goals. Pretty sure that's second on the team and twice as many as alfie or spezza. One of the few positives you can say about butler,s season.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
OH, ALSO:

I'm fairly sure this puts us at 50 contracts right now. I could be wrong, though. Someone might want to double check that, don't take my word for it.

... Unless "sliding contracts" don't count. Not sure if they do. If not, we have lots of space left this year...

I believe the Sens are at 47.

Schneider's contract likely won't take effect until next season. He'll play in Binghamton on an ATO and the deal will start running next fall - pretty common thing with college free agents.

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
I just want to say when I first saw this thread I thought it said "Sens sign Cory Schneider" and I was like wut :laugh:

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Quite possible he'll be on Bingo contract, not Ottawa.
Looking through AHA teams over the past few years, AHA rarely produces AHL regulars at all. I don't think any NHL drafted players ever played in that conference.
I don't think this guy is so much better than others. Most likely he is brought in as Bingo depth guy, will probably spend some time in ECHL.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I just want to say when I first saw this thread I thought it said "Sens sign Cory Schneider" and I was like wut :laugh:

Hey, thats better than what I thought at first. I quickly scanned the title and thought it was Mathieu Schneider until i opened the thread. I was like wtf haha...

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
yeah, we're at 51 - 4 right now (4 sliding contracts in zibanejad, stone, noesen, puempel).

IF he signs a 2011-12 contract, we'd be at 48, but ATO in the AHL is also possible for this year.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
yeah, we're at 51 - 4 right now (4 sliding contracts in zibanejad, stone, noesen, puempel).

IF he signs a 2011-12 contract, we'd be at 48, but ATO in the AHL is also possible for this year.
Do you know how many contracts are expiring this season?

I'm just asking because we have a few interesting prospects we have to make a decision to give a contract to or lose the rights to (Culek, Sorensen), and we'll probably we looking at one or two free agents in the off-season to shore up weakspots.

sens2k9

Aug 8, 2008
Wait, isn't he Shane's twin brother? Say it with me. Magical adventures, 1 2 3.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Do you know how many contracts are expiring this season?

I'm just asking because we have a few interesting prospects we have to make a decision to give a contract to or lose the rights to (Culek, Sorensen), and we'll probably we looking at one or two free agents in the off-season to shore up weakspots.

22. 11 UFA 11 RFA*

basically, we have tons of flexibility.

*not sure if any would qualify for group VI UFA, too lazy to crunch the numbers.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
same age, same height, same weight, same style of play.

???????wait a sec......

:facepalm:

(well, they're both named bob anyway)

Cole = Bob? Did you forget this? :sarcasm:

Also, being younger and taller (he's 6'2" Butler 6' even), he's likely to fill out to be a lot bigger. Like, Zack Smith size, if he works out properly.

Looks like a solid prospect.

But as for dethroning Zibanejad as our top prospect, just pump the breaks on that one. Z-bad plays in a mens leage as a teenager, not a college league. Mika is already bigger than this guy too, and younger. Lets just see where things go before jumping to conclusions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad