Confirmed with Link: Sens re-sign Prince

Coco the Monkey*

Aug 31, 2010
It's surprising that this even needs to be said. It's pretty common knowledge at this point how well Prince has performed in Binghamton, is it not? He was one of the best players in the league last year and played well in Ottawa when he was called up. There's a reason people are penciling him into the opening night line up.

The reason is only because of the waivers. Puempel has a spot over him so he will have to beat out somebody else.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
"Aragorn":

Shane Prince is subject to waivers now as this is his 4th yr pro.....

That's not what is said in this article by Sensshot Zeke, of course, I have no idea how accurate he is either, he could be wrong. But given that unless they send Greening down which I'm not sure they will at the beginning of the yr especially with all the money they are paying a number of players in Bingo already. And will they keep both Prince & Wideman, who knows? It's possible but I don't think so.

http://senshot.com/2015/07/15/shane-...a-out-of-camp/

Greening is a non Factor. He'll be sent to Binghamton if others out play him which is highly likely. He will probably be outplayed by 4-5 AHL forwards in camp. He's already list his spot in this roster, and there's still a chance he'll be bought out if Murray isn't able to deal him.

My guess is that Greening stays in Ottawa for the start of the season & they will try to increase his value to trade him. It could be Christmas before he gets waived & sent down, if they are unable to trade him. If the above article is right & both Prince & Puempel are waiver exempt they could be both sent to Bingo & Wideman IMO would be the one new player who makes the team. Remember the roster limit is 23 players & they aren't going to waive Greening, Neil, Smith & Phillips all together, whether we want them to or not.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
He's also clearly ready to make the jump to the NHL so it's not as risky for a gm to take him off waivers and have to keep him in the NHL.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The reason is only because of the waivers. Puempel has a spot over him so he will have to beat out somebody else.

Not necessarily. We've seen this organization make roster decisions based off contract status plenty of times. Since Prince is subject to waivers, then imo he makes the team over Puempel no matter what happens in training camp.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

That's not necessarily true. I think there is one spot for taking and both Prince and Puempel will be fighting for it. Waiver eligibility may win out in the decision making though since they are pretty close to each other. Personally I would pick Prince anyways as he's further along the way in terms of development.

That's not what is said in this article by Sensshot Zeke, of course, I have no idea how accurate he is either, he could be wrong. But given that unless they send Greening down which I'm not sure they will at the beginning of the yr especially with all the money they are paying a number of players in Bingo already. And will they keep both Prince & Wideman, who knows? It's possible but I don't think so.

I think that article is wrong, although it's always tricky figuring out waiver eligibility.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Not necessarily. We've seen this organization make roster decisions based off contract status plenty of times. Since Prince is subject to waivers, then imo he makes the team over Puempel no matter what happens in training camp.

This guy says that neither Prince or Puempel need to clear waivers & can both be sent down to Bingo without going through waivers. Does anyone know what the real truth is? Can they both be sent down to Bingo without going through waivers or not?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
That link doesn't lead anywhere but I know for a fact Prince isn't exempt from waivers. They will not risk exposing him to recoup value on Greening. The chances of Greening ever being worth his contract are nil and Murray has come to terms with that, that's why he was shipped to Bingo last year and why he's been shopping him desperately all summer. They'll send him down again and cut their losses, but I suspect once all the suitors are above the cap floor Greening will get his buyout. They're not going to pay Greening's full salary over the next two years either way.

Phillips is highly unlikely to start the year with Ottawa. Until he can actually work out and skate there's no point in putting him on the 23 man roster.

Edit: it's a very simple rule under article 13.4. Prince played his first professional game in his 20 year old season and has played 3 professional seasons, thus his waiver exemption is gone for the 4th season. Very cut and dry.

Last edited:

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Oh wait, forget it.

This is clearly the gif I'll be going with:

tumblr_m9da3wF5zl1rejjllo1_400.gif

No no no no no

it's between these

giphy.gif

Prince%20Zoom%20Cool.gif

tumblr_lylmw4GE2V1qixko4o1_400.gif

giphy.gif

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Im quite excited to see what Prince can do with a shot in NHL tbh. I think he's ready or close to it. He has a lot of skill and can be one of the guys remaining from our bingo group who can break out offensively in the NHL perhaps. He has tremendous skill and determination. Can be like a Gallagher.

Oh wait, forget it.

This is clearly the gif I'll be going with:

tumblr_m9da3wF5zl1rejjllo1_400.gif

winner

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is

My guess is that Greening stays in Ottawa for the start of the season & they will try to increase his value to trade him. It could be Christmas before he gets waived & sent down, if they are unable to trade him. If the above article is right & both Prince & Puempel are waiver exempt they could be both sent to Bingo & Wideman IMO would be the one new player who makes the team. Remember the roster limit is 23 players & they aren't going to waive Greening, Neil, Smith & Phillips all together, whether we want them to or not.

"Aragorn":

I am far from a waiver expert everytime I read the rules about them it gives me a headache..... The CBA I try to avoid that as it gives me a migraine..................

Best I can tell he is Not waiver exempt being a 4th yr pro......

You could be right about sending Greening down I am not a fan of sending players on 1 way contracts down it just messes up the whole cost structure.............. As for buying him out I hate the thought of it paying a player to do nothing goes against my grain...... Then again Ottawa could send him down stranger things have happened..

There is always the possibility of sending Lazar down to play top line minutes as a center. My view is they drafted him as a center who they want to score and be a top 6 player. So they could send him down to play center with 2 good wingers to get his scoring touch back. That way he could play on the PP and PK give him a lot of ice time, and get his confidence back..... After 40-50 games they could call him back up as a better player..... Just a thought as I have given up on what the Brass in Ottawa is going to do as they have the ability to surprise me... I figure they are hockey professionals and know more than I do.............

Well this has kept me busy and made me do some thinking a good exercise during the dog days of Hockey.....

I suppose we will have to wait till October to see what Ottawa is going to do.......................

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Seems to me that someone said on Team 1200 that Greening can't be bought out because to be bought out a player has to make more than a certain amount -
about 3M a year I think.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
He's not a top 100 prospect according to scouts in THN future watch and he wasn't a top 5 sens prospect according to sens scouts.

Yes but how many are waiver exempt. Prince is probably right at the top for prospects that have to go through waivers. If it weren't for Tim Murray I think there would be less worry, but imo there is no chance he doesn't claim him if placed on waivers.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
He's not a top 100 prospect according to scouts in THN future watch and he wasn't a top 5 sens prospect according to sens scouts.

but he was chosen as first call up by the sens this year and was the first players named by dorion for players he wants on the team

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
That link doesn't lead anywhere but I know for a fact Prince isn't exempt from waivers. They will not risk exposing him to recoup value on Greening. The chances of Greening ever being worth his contract are nil and Murray has come to terms with that, that's why he was shipped to Bingo last year and why he's been shopping him desperately all summer. They'll send him down again and cut their losses, but I suspect once all the suitors are above the cap floor Greening will get his buyout. They're not going to pay Greening's full salary over the next two years either way.

Phillips is highly unlikely to start the year with Ottawa. Until he can actually work out and skate there's no point in putting him on the 23 man roster.

Edit: it's a very simple rule under article 13.4. Prince played his first professional game in his 20 year old season and has played 3 professional seasons, thus his waiver exemption is gone for the 4th season. Very cut and dry.

I have heard that Phillips has been working out and is aiming to be back in time for training camp.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Doesn't matter where he ranks, he's still better than Puempel

This just always turns into a prospect pissing match which is pointless.

Fact is both will get some games this year.

It seems very clear that prince will get the first shot at it due to the waivers thing. Given the marginal difference in what either will contribute to the team right now it doesn't make a lot of sense to risk waivers

In a way it's also kind of fair considering he's paid his dues longer in the ahl.

Coco the Monkey*

Aug 31, 2010
Doesn't matter where he ranks, he's still better than Puempel

No, no he's not. As evidenced by where the were drafted, how they fared as rookies in the AHL, how they did in the NHL (Puempel actually sticker and looked much better), and the fact that the organization specifically ranked Puempel ahead of Prince just a couplof months ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad